Thread: Rifle, 30-30 leverevolution ammo

Default Rifle, 30-30 leverevolution ammo

Thought I throw this out there as there are a few shooters out here.

Anyone ever use Hornady Leverevolution ammo before? In general and specifically the .30-.30?

I'm going deer hunting this fall and using a .30-.30.

I've owed the .30-.30 for years but never actually been deer hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post

Anyone ever use Hornady Leverevolution ammo before? In general and specifically the .30-.30?

I've never used the ammo, but used the gun successfully for many years in WV. Came to GA and changed calibers so I've not kept up with the new 30/30 products.
    Great gun though.

Default 30-30

My dad was thrifty (cheap) so we used whatever ammo Kmart had on sale. I will say the 30-30 was my first gun in Western Pa when i was 12. Had top ejection so i never used a scope. We hunted a lot of thickets up there and this gun cuts right through them. Killed quite a few deer with it until i won a 7mm mag (overkill) at a rifle auction. Last tid bit, it was so cold one year my dad's firing pin froze and would not fire. The hammer on the 30-30 was worthy and had to kill both of ours that year. Brings back lots of good memories.

Since I'm in the great state of Jersey and your not allowed to Hunt with Rifle I'm a bit at a loss to tell you which ammo to use.

For my shotgun I just use what's on sale.

Also I'll give you some advice. Deer hunting is cold! I'm in the woods for at least 7 or 8 hours before lunch and that whole time all you can only move is your head a little. It's the last 2 or 3 hours that are the worst. No matter how warm I think I'm dress the feet and hands start to get cold and then it spreads. Going to try the powered socks this year. Some family members have them for skiing and say they are wonderfull.

Even freezing deer hunting is still better than working.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Blog Entries

Here's the link to the manufacturer product page if you don't have it already:

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=198

I haven't used it, so no comment on the ammo in question. I like the old reliables for field use. IMHO, shoot the ammo you're familiar with and have used on the range with good results. No need to go for the sniper rounds. Hey, it's a deer hunt... jmho. Good shooting!

Thread Information