Thread: Strange Smell?

1. Question Strange Smell?

Help me sort my nose out.

I've detected the faint hints of a coffee flavor (more a café flavor), and enjoyed the ashy-incense scent that wafts up past the nose upon exhale. Sometimes, when I'm drinking iced tea, I'll suddenly get the hint of a scent I've "tasted" in a cigar's exhaled smoke, and realize then that I must have detected (though not identified) a tea flavor/scent. Of course, I've noticed the heavier pre-burn aroma of, for want of a better word, I'll call a "cereal" scent...that hay-in-the-back-of-the-barn smell. And, once lit, the heavy, almost syrup-like heady scent of sweetness, like hay-in-the-back-of-the-barn-FERMENTING aroma.

So, I've noticed an abundance of different scents -- yet one keeps climbing over the others, in two distinct different versions, and I'm wondering if I'm just encountering one of the less-desirable-but-tolerated aspects of cigar smoking...or is something drastically wrong?!

I've tried:

UPMANN
    MONTECRISTO
    MACANUDO (Maduro & Café)
    COHIBA
    CAO
    FUENTE

At some point early in the smoke, when that heavy/heady sweet scent presents itself, I also smell, at the same moment, the distinct (but faint) scent of something starting to turn bad...just a little. Like somebody left fruit out too long...nearby. Enough to make the nose go, "Hey, what's that? Something's spoilING."

I've dismissed this as a manifestation of the fermentation that is so-often advertised in the cigar tins as a part of their manufacturing process..."double fermented" is frequently emphasized.

But then, later, within the last third of the cigar, suddenly that scent harshens, and its far-more-pungent second variation says, "Hey! What's spoilED!?" Like someone left fruit in the fridge far too long, and you just opened the door! Or, that someone forgot that they threw fruit in the kitchen garbage, left it all day, and you just opened the lid! It's that definite get-this-away-from-me reaction, that makes the nose 'scrunch-up,' the whole face grimace. The combination of spoiled fruit, going-bad eggs, and maybe someone having passed gas, all somehow swirling vaporously together.

A compelling, this-is-rotten,-throw-it-away smell that repulses, and abruptly ends the session.

Is this normal? Does it signal the cigar's end? Or, are these cigars simply not being properly/sufficiently preserved? I've purchased them directly from a walk-in humidor at a local smoke shop, brought them home and ignited them that evening. I've kept others out for a time; no difference. I still end up with that something's-rotten smell at some point.

Now, I've eaten foods (kippered herring, etc.) that simply have atrocious smells that are tolerated in order to enjoy the consumption. If that's the explanation, I'll listen -- "You're just supposed to be a man, suck-it-up and ignore that!"

If you tell me they aren't being properly humidified (walk-in humidor at smoke shop notwithstanding), I'll investigate further, taking steps to re-humidify them.

If you tell me I'm just silly in the head, and somehow MY nose just wasn't made for cigar smoking...well, I'll accept that, too.

Any input is welcome!

I don't know what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyWalker View Post
    I don't know what you are talking about.
    LMFAO!!!

Blog Entries

How are your cigars stored?

I would suggest using a humidification system based on distilled water only, such as Oasis or beads. I have never notice it, but some say the 50/50 solutions can impart an undesireable odor.

do you let them "rest" in your humidor after purchasing them from your B&M? I usually like to let them adjust to my RH% for at least a week.

all that aside...they all taste like tobacco to me. sometimes I can detect coffee, cocoa, spices, etc. but I really enjoy a good tobacco flavor.

I suppose you just have very accute senses. so if it's "repulsive", maybe cigars aren't for you.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    How are your cigars stored?

I would suggest using a humidification system based on distilled water only, such as Oasis or beads. I have never notice it, but some say the 50/50 solutions can impart an undesireable odor.
    I've noticed the prop. glycol can leave a funny, plastic smell in my humidor, but I haven't noticed it imparting that smell on the cigars.

Any white fuzzy stuff on them?

Maybe you just don't like the smell of certain cigars? Could it be that simple?

if you smoke them too fast and some cigars just towards the end get a little harsh and bitter i've noticed, maybe thats what you're getting? I've tasted something similar when a stick tunnels on me and i have to relight it, but i've always assumed it was me puffing the cigar to hard to relight it and the burn going harsh.

Default Maybe where your buying?

Does this happen with EVERY stick you smoke? If so you may want to try to shop at another shop. If it happenes with every stick from your humi...You may want to try and get a new one and session it for about ten days and start all over again.

Just a thought

You're obviously new to cigars... what you're describing is your "bad breath" also known as "cigar breath"

Quote Originally Posted by newbie2007 View Post
    Help me sort my nose out.

I've detected the faint hints of a coffee flavor (more a café flavor), and enjoyed the ashy-incense scent that wafts up past the nose upon exhale. Sometimes, when I'm drinking iced tea, I'll suddenly get the hint of a scent I've "tasted" in a cigar's exhaled smoke, and realize then that I must have detected (though not identified) a tea flavor/scent. Of course, I've noticed the heavier pre-burn aroma of, for want of a better word, I'll call a "cereal" scent...that hay-in-the-back-of-the-barn smell. And, once lit, the heavy, almost syrup-like heady scent of sweetness, like hay-in-the-back-of-the-barn-FERMENTING aroma.

So, I've noticed an abundance of different scents -- yet one keeps climbing over the others, in two distinct different versions, and I'm wondering if I'm just encountering one of the less-desirable-but-tolerated aspects of cigar smoking...or is something drastically wrong?!

I've tried:

UPMANN
    MONTECRISTO
    MACANUDO (Maduro & Café)
    COHIBA
    CAO
    FUENTE

At some point early in the smoke, when that heavy/heady sweet scent presents itself, I also smell, at the same moment, the distinct (but faint) scent of something starting to turn bad...just a little. Like somebody left fruit out too long...nearby. Enough to make the nose go, "Hey, what's that? Something's spoilING."

I've dismissed this as a manifestation of the fermentation that is so-often advertised in the cigar tins as a part of their manufacturing process..."double fermented" is frequently emphasized.

But then, later, within the last third of the cigar, suddenly that scent harshens, and its far-more-pungent second variation says, "Hey! What's spoilED!?" Like someone left fruit in the fridge far too long, and you just opened the door! Or, that someone forgot that they threw fruit in the kitchen garbage, left it all day, and you just opened the lid! It's that definite get-this-away-from-me reaction, that makes the nose 'scrunch-up,' the whole face grimace. The combination of spoiled fruit, going-bad eggs, and maybe someone having passed gas, all somehow swirling vaporously together.

A compelling, this-is-rotten,-throw-it-away smell that repulses, and abruptly ends the session.

Is this normal? Does it signal the cigar's end? Or, are these cigars simply not being properly/sufficiently preserved? I've purchased them directly from a walk-in humidor at a local smoke shop, brought them home and ignited them that evening. I've kept others out for a time; no difference. I still end up with that something's-rotten smell at some point.

Now, I've eaten foods (kippered herring, etc.) that simply have atrocious smells that are tolerated in order to enjoy the consumption. If that's the explanation, I'll listen -- "You're just supposed to be a man, suck-it-up and ignore that!"

If you tell me they aren't being properly humidified (walk-in humidor at smoke shop notwithstanding), I'll investigate further, taking steps to re-humidify them.

If you tell me I'm just silly in the head, and somehow MY nose just wasn't made for cigar smoking...well, I'll accept that, too.

Any input is welcome!

I think you are just silly in the head and somehow your nose isn't made for cigar smoking.

It might be your cigars, or your cigar shop...or just you.

I've just recently begun to smoke cigars on a regular basis, and I think I know what you are talking about. Every now and then I just get a funky wiff of something. Either it is just something you get used to or maybe our noses are just messed up.
    It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Thread Information