Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm new to cigar smoking, so please tell me...

1. Default I'm new to cigar smoking, so please tell me...

why do people hate people who smoke flavored cigars so much?

Default your new to the board, so tell me...

... how bouts an intro first and who said anyone hates folks who smoke flavored cigars? Its more of a 'laugh at the noob' situation. Kind of like how people in wine circles laugh at peoplewho drink white zinfandel. Its just not that respected... too sweet... but if you like it, smoke it...

Defanitely a "laughing at a noob", nothing wrong with smoking them.

4. Default

Ok ok... an intro. :)

My name is Kevin. I'm 26 years old, living in Orlando, FL. I started smoking cigars when I was in college, but it happened very rarely... maybe once a year. After college, a friend and I joined a billiard league, and would smoke cigars every week... but we were so poor, we smoked stuff like Swisher Sweets and Philly Blunts.... and honestly, I didn't mind them, but I didn't know any better. Also, we each ordered 2 pitchers of Bud Light. We were REALLY poor.

After a year, we quit playing pool, smoking cigars, and drinking (that much) beer. But recently, I decided to start smoking again. I'm less poor now... (still poor, but now LESS poor)... and stopped by a cigar store. I explained to the clerk that I was new to smoking and explained what I smoked in the past, and asked him to suggest some stuff. He led me over to the flavored cigar section where I picked out some ACID cigars that I absolutely loved.

The next time I went in, I talked to the same guy, told him I loved the ones I had last time and wanted to try something a step up. He gave me some cigar that he called the "cigarette smoker's cigar" because you could inhale and it would bother you, and blah blah blah. I don't even remember what it was because I hated it. No... I did not try inhaling, but I'm fairly certain there were hints of dirt and dog poop.

So I started thinking, this guy probably gave this to me because he knew I liked cheap flavored cigars.... you know, just to get me out of the store. Then I thought... I know! I'll go online and talk to other cigar smokers and see what THEY like. I did a search for ACID cigars and came across this site. And the first thread I saw was someone asking about Drew Estate Subculture, and everyone "frowning upon" any Drew Estate cigars.

Then looking at other boards and sites, I realized that it's a general rule... flavored cigars are frowned upon. I was just wondering why. I'm a "smoke what you like" kind of guy.

But also, what do you suggest as a non-flavored cigar for someone who generally likes flavored cigars?

Thanks, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by djinjekted View Post
    Ok ok... an intro. :)

My name is Kevin. I'm 26 years old, living in Orlando, FL. I started smoking cigars when I was in college, but it happened very rarely... maybe once a year. After college, a friend and I joined a billiard league, and would smoke cigars every week... but we were so poor, we smoked stuff like Swisher Sweets and Philly Blunts.... and honestly, I didn't mind them, but I didn't know any better. Also, we each ordered 2 pitchers of Bud Light. We were REALLY poor.

After a year, we quit playing pool, smoking cigars, and drinking (that much) beer. But recently, I decided to start smoking again. I'm less poor now... (still poor, but now LESS poor)... and stopped by a cigar store. I explained to the clerk that I was new to smoking and explained what I smoked in the past, and asked him to suggest some stuff. He led me over to the flavored cigar section where I picked out some ACID cigars that I absolutely loved.

The next time I went in, I talked to the same guy, told him I loved the ones I had last time and wanted to try something a step up. He gave me some cigar that he called the "cigarette smoker's cigar" because you could inhale and it would bother you, and blah blah blah. I don't even remember what it was because I hated it. No... I did not try inhaling, but I'm fairly certain there were hints of dirt and dog poop.

So I started thinking, this guy probably gave this to me because he knew I liked cheap flavored cigars.... you know, just to get me out of the store. Then I thought... I know! I'll go online and talk to other cigar smokers and see what THEY like. I did a search for ACID cigars and came across this site. And the first thread I saw was someone asking about Drew Estate Subculture, and everyone "frowning upon" any Drew Estate cigars.

Then looking at other boards and sites, I realized that it's a general rule... flavored cigars are frowned upon. I was just wondering why. I'm a "smoke what you like" kind of guy.

But also, what do you suggest as a non-flavored cigar for someone who generally likes flavored cigars?

Thanks, guys!
    Nice intro. Welcome from Utah.

Everyone starts somewhere. I started with flavoreds like Maker's Marks, Kahlua, and Cojimars. That was a short lived phase, but it was obviously necessary to get to the point where I am. We like to clown around and bust balls over flavored cigars and especially gas station cigars because we are passionate about this hobby. We know there is so much more out there to enjoy and to do so, one must at least leave their current smokes if even for a few cigars.

A nice transitional cigar from flavored to non would be the Java. From there, start mild-medium. Try the Padron x000 series, a Fuente Chateu or Hemingway, maybe a Baccarat or a Sancho Panza Cabalero. Casa Toranos are a fantastic milder smoke as are Ashton Classics. Stay clear of the Macanudos.

You are right though... ...when it is all said and done, smoke what you like and like what you smoke!
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

I've said it before... if you like your cigars on a bun with ketchup & mustard, go for it. It's much more about the commorodity than the cigars. When you're sitting down with another cigar smoker enjoying their company and conversation it really doesn't matter what you're smoking, as long as you are enjoying it.

Welcome.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by slcraiders View Post
    Nice intro. Welcome from Utah.

Everyone starts somewhere. I started with flavoreds like Maker's Marks, Kahlua, and Cojimars. That was a short lived phase, but it was obviously necessary to get to the point where I am. We like to clown around and bust balls over flavored cigars and especially gas station cigars because we are passionate about this hobby. We know there is so much more out there to enjoy and to do so, one must at least leave their current smokes if even for a few cigars.

A nice transitional cigar from flavored to non would be the Java. From there, start mild-medium. Try the Padron x000 series, a Fuente Chateu or Hemingway, maybe a Baccarat or a Sancho Panza Cabalero. Casa Toranos are a fantastic milder smoke as are Ashton Classics. Stay clear of the Macanudos.

You are right though... ...when it is all said and done, smoke what you like and like what you smoke!
    Thanks for the welcome! It's good to know it's more of a ball-busting than a true hatred for flavored-cigar smokers.

I'm definitely willing to stray from flavored cigars... I love trying new things. Thank you for the suggestions. I looked up the Java and it sounds good. I'll definitely be giving that a try. I'm keeping a list of suggested cigars, and I'm slowly making my way through them. I generally smoke 1 suggested cigar for every 3 flavored cigars. I'll slowly adjust the ratio to have more non-flavored than flavored.

One cigar I recently tried was a Don Pepin Garcia Series JJ. I thoroughly enjoyed it, for about 10 minutes. Then I got entirely sick. I don't know why. I wasn't inhaling.

Thanks again!

One cigar I recently tried was a Don Pepin Garcia Series JJ. I thoroughly enjoyed it, for about 10 minutes. Then I got entirely sick. I don't know why. I wasn't inhaling.

Thanks again!
    Try eating first and smoking a little slower. Have something to drink nearby and experiment with different beverage/cigar combinations. The combination definately affects the flavors of a cigar (think about how orange juice tastes right after you brush your teeth.) Usually drawing once per minute or so works out well. The cigar will burn much better, too. Learn how to purge a cigar if it gets harsh or bitter. Pretty soon you'll be a pro!
    Last edited by Shelby07; 09-02-2007 at 10:44 AM.

smoke what you like.

Most people who smoked cigars for a while then tried acids are turned off by them.

But if you like them, more power to you. You might grow away from them as you try different cigars that aren't flavored, but you might not.

Either way,

Welcome to cigarsmokers.

why do people hate people who smoke flavored cigars so much?
    For the most part, it is just ball-busting. But if you enjoy it, by all means go for it.

I personally hate flavored (infused ) smokes, but that definitely does not make me hate the person who smokes them.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

The foothills of the Sierra mountains about 50 miles west of Lake Tahoe.

Ya know, my local liquor store has some pineapple flavored cigars. On one hand, my interest is stirred. I kind of wonder what a pineapple cigar would taste like. But on the other hand, they've been there exposed, not in a humidor for god only know how long. They're probably ruined anyway.

I admit, I've had a couple Acid Juicy Lucys. I like the pre-light flavor of them but once lit there's nothing special about them.

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    smoke what you like.

Most people who smoked cigars for a while then tried acids are turned off by them.

But if you like them, more power to you. You might grow away from them as you try different cigars that aren't flavored, but you might not.

Either way,

Welcome to cigarsmokers.
    Thanks... and actually, you made me think of a good point. "Most people who smoked cigars for a while then tried acids are turned off by them."

I suppose that's like trying the world's best cake, then eating a little debbie snack cake.

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dru Lee Parsec View Post
    Ya know, my local liquor store has some pineapple flavored cigars. On one hand, my interest is stirred. I kind of wonder what a pineapple cigar would taste like. But on the other hand, they've been there exposed, not in a humidor for god only know how long. They're probably ruined anyway.

I admit, I've had a couple Acid Juicy Lucys. I like the pre-light flavor of them but once lit there's nothing special about them.
    Sometimes I just need something to keep my mouth busy, and don't have the time to actually sit and enjoy a good cigar... plus I'm broke most of the time. So I'll buy a pack of gas station or a liquor store cigars because it's like $2.50 for a pack of 5. They may not be the best, but it does the trick. Plus, I don't feel so bad putting it out halfway through the cigar.

Go get some Don Kiki's according to your strength level. You won't be sorry. Cheap, hits the spot, and it is the cigar I compare every other cigar I smoke to.

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyWalker View Post
    Go get some Don Kiki's according to your strength level. You won't be sorry. Cheap, hits the spot, and it is the cigar I compare every other cigar I smoke to.
    Don Kiki's are really good. Especially the Brown Labels.

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BDurrani View Post
    Don Kiki's are really good. Especially the Brown Labels.
    Awesome... I will definitely pick some up.

Thanks!

Awesome... I will definitely pick some up.

Thanks!

hold on, slow down, slow down... lets get the right cigar for you... yes the brown lable is great, but its a med-full flavored cigar.. i'd suggest picking up the DK sampler first and trying the different levels green is mild, red is med, brown is strong.... if you're just switching from flavoreds, you may well not enjoy the brown label at all. It took a buddy of mine quite a while before he enjoyed the brown; but the red, he loved from the first puff.

yeah, A good idea to start with the red or green labels.
    I received a Don Kiki sampler with my humidor purchase, it contained 15 red and green label cigars.
    Good deal, 30 bucks for the humi(20-25 count), 15 cigars and a cutter.

Thanks... and actually, you made me think of a good point. "Most people who smoked cigars for a while then tried acids are turned off by them."

I suppose that's like trying the world's best cake, then eating a little debbie snack cake.
    I just came in from smoking an Acid, have a few "big nasty" I think (I'm too lazy and comfortable to get up and make sure that it the correct name. It was a good change, it doesn't seem as good as I once thought, but good enough for me to hang on the ones I have and smoke them eventually. Which leads me to, I don't know if it is mentioned in this thread, or if you have read elsewhere, but DO NOT store flavored cigars with others, it'll just make the others start to taste like the flavored.

Welcome from the UK.

Try samplers, maybe even the newbee thread. It can take time to find exactly what you like, but it is worth the effort.

When I was younger I smoked quite a a lot of King Edwards that were infused with brandy, grew out of it though.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Thread Information