Thread: CAO "The Sopranos"

Default CAO "The Sopranos"

I posted this in the cigar area of the sight. But I wanted those who read the reviews to have a chance to see this as well.

My personal opinions on this line of sticks has made a few of my buddies a little upset.

Not Worth the Hype
    Smoked a CAO “The Sopranos” Edition today. Great Stick but all I can say is…Not worth the hype. Also definitely not worth the over $150 to $200 bucks a box!!! Now don’t get me wrong, this was a very enjoyable smoke. It let well and burned even from start to finish. The smoke that was produced was a THICK creamy white and the bouquet was also very enjoyable. I was able to get a lot of length off the ash before having to tap it off the first time. The taste was very complex but not harsh. Every draw was a different taste. Spicy with hints of cherry and chocolate (I know it sounds stupid but those are the only words that come to mind) this cigar was over an hour of pure joy. Several people around me wanted to know what I was smoking. When I told them it was a CAO Soprano they were like, “Wow we heard of those! You must have some money to be able to afford those” I told them to calm down because I just bought two of them($25 by the way) So what’s my point? My point is that this is a GREAT smoke but not worth the hype and not worth the $200 you will have to shell out to get a box of your own.

So any BOTLs out there that have tried these sticks? Let me know if I’m crazy or if I’m on the money with my opinion.

Woops, double posted by accident.
    Last edited by JFellows; 10-03-2007 at 05:31 AM.

What makes it not worth the hype, then? I´m just playing devil´s advocate, but it seems like you have nothing but good things to say about it:

Quote Originally Posted by Maduro Man View Post
    Great Stick...very enjoyable smoke...lit well and burned even from start to finish...smoke that was produced was a THICK creamy white and the bouquet was also very enjoyable...taste was very complex but not harsh...this cigar was over an hour of pure joy..etc.
    I personally think that CAO is a marketing-gimmick-ridden company (although, granted, not to the point of Gurkha status), but it seems like if you really did enjoy the cigar as much as you said, then price wouldn´t even matter.

Default Just tryin to help

Quote Originally Posted by JFellows View Post
    What makes it not worth the hype, then? I´m just playing devil´s advocate, but it seems like you have nothing but good things to say about it:

I personally think that CAO is a marketing-gimmick-ridden company (although, granted, not to the point of Gurkha status), but it seems like if you really did enjoy the cigar as much as you said, then price wouldn´t even matter.

I just wanted to give my opinion on the stick. I thought about rushing out (Along with a lot of other folks) and get me a box. All I’m saying is; if you got $200 bucks to toss down for a nice box of sticks, your better off buying two boxes of what you REALLY like as opposed to buying one box of a really good stick. Also you can keep the flashy band on and impress your friends.

I guess I'm a little confused by your post, too. I think you're saying they're good, but they're not $10-13/stick good. Yet your comments about the cigar seem to indicate that they are.

I like the Sopranos line a lot. Advertising hype or not, I think it's a damn good cigar. I don't believe I ever had a bad one. I have never bought a box, but I pick up a couple here and there when I'm at the B&M. It's kind of odd, but sometimes a $10 cigar is worth much more than $10, and sometimes it isn't worth 1/2 the price. I think it goes back to what we say in all of the "why do we smoke" threads. If the time is right for a certain cigar then I'm glad I bought it and there is no other cigar that will do it for me quite as well. But if I'm working on the car while I'm smoking it, then it seems like a waste of money.

There are other cigars that I consistantly feel are not worth the hype... Opus X is one that I can name. It's a decent cigar, but not worth the price to me, and I've never really had a memorable one. Perhaps you just feel that way about the Sopranos. The bottom line for me is if time with a cigar is memorable, then I never really care about the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    I guess I'm a little confused by your post, too. I think you're saying they're good, but they're not $10-13/stick good. Yet your comments about the cigar seem to indicate that they are.

I like the Sopranos line a lot. Advertising hype or not, I think it's a damn good cigar. I don't believe I ever had a bad one. I have never bought a box, but I pick up a couple here and there when I'm at the B&M. It's kind of odd, but sometimes a $10 cigar is worth much more than $10, and sometimes it isn't worth 1/2 the price. I think it goes back to what we say in all of the "why do we smoke" threads. If the time is right for a certain cigar then I'm glad I bought it and there is no other cigar that will do it for me quite as well. But if I'm working on the car while I'm smoking it, then it seems like a waste of money.

There are other cigars that I consistantly feel are not worth the hype... Opus X is one that I can name. It's a decent cigar, but not worth the price to me, and I've never really had a memorable one. Perhaps you just feel that way about the Sopranos. The bottom line for me is if time with a cigar is memorable, then I never really care about the price.
    Guess I must have smoked this one while I was working on the car...

Guess I must have smoked this one while I was working on the car...

What? You dont like working on cars? Sittin in your driveway, Hood up, engine roaring, pipes pouring out smoke, head hanging out the window, and takin a puff of a stogie in sync with mashin the gas; now that sounds like a memorable smoking experience to me.

On topic though, Im thinking of picking up a box of these as a Christmas present from myself to me. I know they are a little expensive but thats why Im going to treat my self to them for a special occasion. Splurge a bit on something I wouldnt normally. I know they may not be worth what they cost, but I am also a big fan of the Sopranos. So I want to feel like Tony when I sit outside and have a smoke.

Blog Entries

Yeah....

I think this review has also peaked my interest, I'm gonna hook myself up with a box of BOSS' very soon.

Aside from the inconsistent draw issues I've had, I'm a fan of most of the CAO line.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

I had one plume coverd Boss and it was very good. Didn't like the Soldier anywhere near as much, felt it wasn't worth the price. Think I'll dig out a Boss tonight.
    Last edited by pub spears; 10-06-2007 at 11:59 AM. Reason: needed to edit

Quote Originally Posted by pub spears View Post
    I had one plume coverd Boss and it was very good. Didn't like the Soldier anywhere near as much, felt it wasn't worth the price. Think I'll dig out a Boss tonight.
    Now you got me double guessing my self as I was looking at getting a box of the Soldier as my xmas gift to my self. Might just spring for the box of Boss instead now.

Default Associate

After reading the reviews and a day without the wife around to see how much i spend, i stopped in at JRs in Statesville NC and bought an Associate. Gotta say i was pretty impressed. Very enjoyable cigar, was kinda sad to see it end. Would definately buy more if only Uncle Sam gave me a little more dough.

Default Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by slkr4life View Post
    After reading the reviews and a day without the wife around to see how much i spend, i stopped in at JRs in Statesville NC and bought an Associate. Gotta say i was pretty impressed. Very enjoyable cigar, was kinda sad to see it end. Would definately buy more if only Uncle Sam gave me a little more dough.
    Just wanted to say that Uncle Sam should give you alot more than alot of Dough! Thanks for your service!

Thank You for helping keep all of us free.
    Last edited by Maduro Man; 10-09-2007 at 05:54 PM.

Default Almost as good as a Brazilia

Hey, Maduro Man,

Like you, I'm a big fan of maduro's and more full-bodied cigars. I've been pretty pleased with most everything I've tried from CAO. And I did like the Soprano -- I smoked one of the larger ones, I don't remember which right now. The entire time I was smoking it I was thinking "This is a pretty good cigar -- I like it ALMOST as much as a Brazillia." But I only could have bought three of those for the same price.

Not bad; just not spectacular.

Hope that helps.

cjf

I posted this in the cigar area of the sight. But I wanted those who read the reviews to have a chance to see this as well.

My personal opinions on this line of sticks has made a few of my buddies a little upset.

Not Worth the Hype

14. Default CAO Soprano's

I dunno:
    I have a couple of sitting in the old Hummie. I've hada couple of them in the past and generally thought they were worth the effort. You're right, not harsh, smooth and complex! These were my thoughts.

I guess for paying > $10 per stick is somewhat equivalent to single malts, single barrel bourbons and the great wines. I would gladly pay $300 or thereabout for a set of Punch Double Corona's and there are Single Malts that I would pay $100/bottle for. Why because to me they are equisite in all dimensions! if that is what i like, I'll pay for it. With the Soprano's, it is more of a change of pace for me so I don't buy them by the box.

Davidoffs are a wonderful cigar but would I buy a box? don't think so. Buy a box of Punch Double C's, a Box of R&J churchills, Partargas Series D; Yup, No Problem

Cheers
    tim

Default We agree

on the single malts, and the $10+ sticks. There are a bunch I've bought, and would again, for a change of pace or special occasion: Ghurka Beast, Perdomo ESV -- just bought a five pack of these! -- Padron Anniversary's, and the small Opus X, which I thought was pretty amazing. And there are some I'd give another try. I had a Camacho Triple Maduro a couple of weeks ago in unexpectedly bad circumstances -- ended up putting it out and finishing the next day.

So I won't argue with anyone who enjoys the Sopranos. I was looking forward to it, given how much I'd liked other CAOs. I just genuinely thought I preferred the Brazilia better, straight up, regardless of price. Not that this has stopped me from trying more CAO stuff - I have a barber pole America resting in the humi right now ...

So we agree in general, I think.

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

cjf

Quote Originally Posted by tbroadley View Post
    I dunno:
    I have a couple of sitting in the old Hummie. I've hada couple of them in the past and generally thought they were worth the effort. You're right, not harsh, smooth and complex! These were my thoughts.

I guess for paying > $10 per stick is somewhat equivalent to single malts, single barrel bourbons and the great wines. I would gladly pay $300 or thereabout for a set of Punch Double Corona's and there are Single Malts that I would pay $100/bottle for. Why because to me they are equisite in all dimensions! if that is what i like, I'll pay for it. With the Soprano's, it is more of a change of pace for me so I don't buy them by the box.

Davidoffs are a wonderful cigar but would I buy a box? don't think so. Buy a box of Punch Double C's, a Box of R&J churchills, Partargas Series D; Yup, No Problem

Cheers
    tim

Quote Originally Posted by tbroadley View Post
    I dunno:

Cheers
    tim
    Well Put my friend!

I really enjoy the CAO Sopranos. My favorite size is the soldier, I just think its the right size and price. I just visited my local B&M and they had a Sopranos sampler. It had an Associate, Boss, and Soldier along with the Tony Soprano Special addition in a really nice case that resembles the full size boxes.

Thread Information