Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hershey wants to know...

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    Without quoting Shelby...He made a hell of a lot of sense.

I read it. I expected the exact opposite from you Ken.

....still my favorite board.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    I read it. I expected the exact opposite from you Ken.
    If you will point out the parts you don't agree with I'd be glad to listen. I'm open to all points of view.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    Without quoting Shelby...He made a hell of a lot of sense.
    I feel Shelbys post makes a lot of sense too. I lke the board the way it is now, very little agenda-grinding and the resulting wars that follow. Hex is using a very light hand to moderate this, and the board has improved as a result.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Blog Entries

I'm by no means a senior member, no FOG for sure, this was the first board I joined, the first post I made was here. I have learned what I know about how to, and how not to, conduct myself on forums from the members of this board.

I went to CL and joined up, got involved a bit......and found out for myself that I don't really like the "feel" of it....when I participated in a PIF and got PM's from the sender to "make sure you post to my i-trader rating" instead of "hey, hope you liked the smokes, did they arrive safely"......I knew what it was all about and have since withdrawn from the site as much as I can and will leave completely once a commitment I have there is fulfilled.

I enjoy CS more now since things have toned down some and the conflict has more or less gone away, and the mean, insulting posts are saved for the asshats that deserve them......but I gotta admit, CS has the best asshat roasters in the bidness!!

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    Sorry bro but nobody here gives a fuck about stogies POS board ...

Sorry bro but I wasn't talking about CL or Stogie. I was trying to talk about Cigar Smokers and how I'd like to see it grow.

This place needs to be the polar opposite of cigarlive to survive and be prosperous. cigarlive will implode upon its self and the weight of its asshattery
    This place needs to be what it grows to be, but it needs to be protected from its own implosions and members who contribute to its dysfunctional reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    I went to CL and joined up, got involved a bit......and found out for myself that I don't really like the "feel" of it....when I participated in a PIF and got PM's from the sender to "make sure you post to my i-trader rating" instead of "hey, hope you liked the smokes, did they arrive safely"......I knew what it was all about and have since withdrawn from the site as much as I can and will leave completely once a commitment I have there is fulfilled. :
    I can't deny that I've had similar feelings at times, but CL is a different board witha very different culture. Some folks like that.

There are also a lot of posts there that interest me, especially some of the discussion about the SCHIP, and a bunch of folks that don't exhibit the behavior that you point out. Let's let CL grow in their own way and not worry too much about them. I hope they continue to grow. It can only help the hobby.

I enjoy CS more now since things have toned down some and the conflict has more or less gone away, and the mean, insulting posts are saved for the asshats that deserve them......but I gotta admit, CS has the best asshat roasters in the bidness!! :smiley2
    I agree with you there, too. But I think we need to stop being so quick to feed on our young and especially each other.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    But I think we need to stop being so quick to feed on our young
    But our young are so tender and tasty...

Why is it that some are encouraged to beat dead horses, while others are told to stop? That's funny!!!

BTW - Admittedly, I was being facetious about reinstating CoventryCat. I've talked to him, and I don't think you have to worry, at least for the time being - he really has no desire to come back - Whether you reinstated him or not. No need to wait for that call, Hex - it's not coming. That should make at least a couple of people happy...

But the board is definitely different since he's been gone...

Is the place better? I think some really think so. It's what they want. Others clearly have some issues with the direction this board is going. Funny how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by CgarDan View Post
    Common guys what was done and in the past is exactly that. If some one wants to bring a banned member back maybe a poll on that can be started to avoid further complications or disagreement betwen people here.
    Dan - sorry, but it's bugging me. You've said this more than a few times, so I think you might be confused...

"Common" is "belonging equally to, or shared alike by, two or more or all in question: i.e. common property; common interests."

I think you're really trying to say, "Come on!", or the more popular contraction, "C'mon"

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Shagaroo View Post
    ROTFLMAO...Nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    ...Others clearly have some issues with the direction this board is going.
    Yeah, I did see that Hershey Walker was not happy with the direction the board is taking, but it seemed to me that most folks disagreed with him.

As a member of this board for almost two years I can say I am fairly well pleased with the less hostile attitude now. Although I never post much, I read the board almost nightly and it was getting a bit disappointing at all the b.s. that was going on. I know that if that kind of behavior was going on at my B&M I would not go there. And this board is kind of like a cyber-B&M. There are conversations, hints, brags, suggestions, and help here just as at a B&M.
    Some times I do get a little dismayed at the treatment of newbies, I mean sure we have all read the same question fifty times in the last year about mold or bloom, or how do I season a humidor, or why does the wrapper crack, but we have heard it from fifty new members! And most of the time they get told "use the search". If you were to walk into any social setting and ask, "How's it going?" and get told, "Read the newsletter." What would you do?
    So screw those who want hostility, we may not all agree on everything but at least we can state our opions (opinions are like assholes, everybody has got one and all of them but yours stinks). And as rational adults we just deal with it. After all this is cyberspace it is as real or unreal as we take it.
    O.K. that's half of a Royal Jamaica Gold Toro worth.

Yeah, I did see that Hershey Walker was not happy with the direction the board is taking, but it seemed to me that most folks disagreed with him.

Most folks? I don't think so...

Some folks? Most definitely!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BunkyX View Post
    As a member of this board for almost two years I can say I am fairly well pleased with the less hostile attitude now. Although I never post much, I read the board almost nightly and it was getting a bit disappointing at all the b.s. that was going on. I know that if that kind of behavior was going on at my B&M I would not go there. And this board is kind of like a cyber-B&M. There are conversations, hints, brags, suggestions, and help here just as at a B&M.
    Some times I do get a little dismayed at the treatment of newbies, I mean sure we have all read the same question fifty times in the last year about mold or bloom, or how do I season a humidor, or why does the wrapper crack, but we have heard it from fifty new members! And most of the time they get told "use the search". If you were to walk into any social setting and ask, "How's it going?" and get told, "Read the newsletter." What would you do?
    So screw those who want hostility, we may not all agree on everything but at least we can state our opions (opinions are like assholes, everybody has got one and all of them but yours stinks). And as rational adults we just deal with it. After all this is cyberspace it is as real or unreal as we take it.
    O.K. that's half of a Royal Jamaica Gold Toro worth.
    I think you meant to say, "Opinions are like assholes - everyone's got one, and they all stink except yours..,"

Very true! VERY TRUE!!

I'm enjoying an Anejo #49 with an Irish coffee in the back yard - bastids at the Tossers concert last night told me I could smoke it - I then lit it up and then was yelled at by one of the management meanies there!!!

So - I saved it for tonight!!!

They were also putting a kebosh on moshing - not that I wanted any part of it, but is sure looked fun for the younger set!!!

Amazed me how many of us older folk were in attendance - although if you like Irish music, it was a GREAT night!!!

Royal Jamaicans - hmmmm.... Not bad, but the Anejo is MUCH nicer... Sorry...
    Last edited by ggiese; 09-29-2007 at 08:48 PM.

Most folks? I don't think so...

Some folks? Most definitely!!!
    Well, again we seem to disagree. I wrote exactly what I meant.

It seems to me that more folks here who have voiced an opinion seem to like an agenda free, less bashing board than not. That was my take on it...

but I'm not gonna split hairs.

Well, again we seem to disagree. I wrote exactly what I meant.

It seems to me that more folks here who have voiced an opinion seem to like an agenda free, less bashing board than not. That was my take on it...

but I'm not gonna split hairs.
    It's like saying, "Most people like Hillary Clinton" - Well, that really does depend on who you ask... Sure - 43% of those that would want a Democrat in office like Hillary, but that doesn't mean that MOST people like Hillary. I think you could also say that most people like George Bush - I mean, he is the president and was elected by the majority, right?

I don't know if that's "splitting hairs" - it sure does seems like it's more like your
    perspective to me...

common George

We all have our faults. Some of us misspell every once in a while like; others sometimes speak their minds even if against the more established members, some guys actually like CL and what it offers, a few use cartoons to express themselves, a few people have actually admitted publicly to be friends of CC and GOD forgive those who smoke something like Jamaica gold every once in a while

but you know what .......

If not for these imperfections we would all be VERY VERY BORING

I as some may see am I little crazy for saying this ... but what the hell,,,, I propose we agree that it is the differences that make is unique and who we are and maybe we can all stop jumping on every little thing that we might feel is not exactly to our standards and take
    out a nice cigar from our humis light it up and make one big massive smoke cloud

I am contributing as we speak with a Big Fat La Gloria Cubana Maduro Serie R

It's like saying, "Most people like Hillary Clinton" - Well, that really does depend on who you ask... Sure - 43% of those that would want a Democrat in office like Hillary, but that doesn't mean that MOST people like Hillary. I think you could also say that most people like George Bush - I mean, he is the president and was elected by the majority, right?

I don't know if that's "splitting hairs" - it sure does seems like it's more like your
    perspective to me...
    I'll reply as a courtesy, but this whole conversation seems pretty meaningless to me...

If you are referring to my previous statement, then I can see where your confusion is. You see, I never said my previous statement was a definitive statement of fact, as you apparantly understood it to be, I stated it as an opinion. Although I appreciate your efforts to help me understand the error in my statement, in actuality there was no error. You are simply confused. Your confusion is evident in the way you compare my actual statement to your hypothetical one about Hillary Clinton. Now if you had said in your example

It's like saying, "It seemed to me that most people like Hillary Clinton"

I'd agree with you about the comparison of the two statements (but certainly not about Hillary Clinton because it seems to me that most people do NOT like Hillary Clinton. )

...so I stand by my original statement, which was...

So, now that we have that bit of confusion straightened out, let me try to help you. Are you trying to say that it seems to you that most people agreed with Hershey Walker? If that's what you mean, then you should just say it. As long as you put it that way then we wouldn't have any misunderstanding or disagreement and we can get on with talking about how we can make this board better. In fact, if that is what you are saying, that would actually explain our difference of opinion.

Of course, if that isn't what you are saying, or if you don't have an opinion one way or the other, then, in my humble opinion, this conversation is either splitting hairs, totally meaningless or a fishing expedition and we can end it right here.

Oh yeah, here's another opinion... It seems to me that splitting hairs over spelling on a public forum with someone who is not native to this country yet can speak our language better than many native born Americans is not only totally meaningless but kinda tacky. Now, just so there's no misunderstanding here, that is just my own opinion. But then again, you know what they say about opinions...
    Last edited by Shelby07; 09-30-2007 at 02:45 AM.

Blog Entries

I can't deny that I've had similar feelings at times, but CL is a different board witha very different culture. Some folks like that.

There are also a lot of posts there that interest me, especially some of the discussion about the SCHIP, and a bunch of folks that don't exhibit the behavior that you point out. Let's let CL grow in their own way and not worry too much about them. I hope they continue to grow. It can only help the hobby.

I agree with you there, too. But I think we need to stop being so quick to feed on our young and especially each other.
    I understand that CL has its own culture, and you're right, some folks like that.........I just don't happen to be one of them. IMO, the "culture" there fosters the kind of behavior I pointed out......and yes, I agree that there are some members there that aren't interested in the back-slapping, and there are some good topics......

Thread Information