Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hershey wants to know...

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    I'm by no means a senior member, no FOG for sure, this was the first board I joined, the first post I made was here. I have learned what I know about how to, and how not to, conduct myself on forums from the members of this board.

I went to CL and joined up, got involved a bit......and found out for myself that I don't really like the "feel" of it....when I participated in a PIF and got PM's from the sender to "make sure you post to my i-trader rating" instead of "hey, hope you liked the smokes, did they arrive safely"......I knew what it was all about and have since withdrawn from the site as much as I can and will leave completely once a commitment I have there is fulfilled.

I enjoy CS more now since things have toned down some and the conflict has more or less gone away, and the mean, insulting posts are saved for the asshats that deserve them......but I gotta admit, CS has the best asshat roasters in the bidness!!
    Actually, I just noticed when I sent you those Oliva Bolds you never added a bomb reward for me.

Please know that I am 100% .... kidding.

Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Blog Entries

Lmao.......

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    I'll reply as a courtesy, but this whole conversation seems pretty meaningless to me...

If you are referring to my previous statement, then I can see where your confusion is. You see, I never said my previous statement was a definitive statement of fact, as you apparantly understood it to be, I stated it as an opinion. Although I appreciate your efforts to help me understand the error in my statement, in actuality there was no error. You are simply confused. Your confusion is evident in the way you compare my actual statement to your hypothetical one about Hillary Clinton. Now if you had said in your example

It's like saying, "It seemed to me that most people like Hillary Clinton"

I'd agree with you about the comparison of the two statements (but certainly not about Hillary Clinton because it seems to me that most people do NOT like Hillary Clinton. )

...so I stand by my original statement, which was...

So, now that we have that bit of confusion straightened out, let me try to help you. Are you trying to say that it seems to you that most people agreed with Hershey Walker? If that's what you mean, then you should just say it. As long as you put it that way then we wouldn't have any misunderstanding or disagreement and we can get on with talking about how we can make this board better. In fact, if that is what you are saying, that would actually explain our difference of opinion.

Of course, if that isn't what you are saying, or if you don't have an opinion one way or the other, then, in my humble opinion, this conversation is either splitting hairs, totally meaningless or a fishing expedition and we can end it right here.

Oh yeah, here's another opinion... It seems to me that splitting hairs over spelling on a public forum with someone who is not native to this country yet can speak our language better than many native born Americans is not only totally meaningless but kinda tacky. Now, just so there's no misunderstanding here, that is just my own opinion. But then again, you know what they say about opinions...
    Yep - gotcha... Lots of "seems to me..." Makes sense to me it "seems like to" you!!!

...and it "seems like to" me that "tacky" is what my wife does to the decorating of the house, if I let her. "Totally Meaningless" is the promise from my son to fill his bank account, rather than spend his money on video games. Those two descriptions just don't do it for me when it comes to helping someone with their spelling/grammar...

Besides - is it "tacky" and "totally meaningless" that CigarDan is DEFINITELY showing an improvement in his spelling and grammar since he first came here? "COMMON" (as they like to say in Eastern Europe!)

I'm just truly thankful that I don't participate on any Eastern European online cigar board - they'd DESTROY me if I tried to communicate in their native language...

So Bill, er... George. How long can we expect you to be all butt hurt over Bill getting tossed? I mean, the whining before was bad enough, but pretending to be Bill is pretty pathetic. I think the fact that Dan is actually a decent human being earns him the right to misspell things if he so chooses to not be an anal retentive jackass.

Quote Originally Posted by Shagaroo View Post
    .... chooses to ....anal .....

This is no time to talk love'n.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Yep - gotcha... Lots of "seems to me..." Makes sense to me it "seems like to" you!!!

...and it "seems like to" me that "tacky" is what my wife does to the decorating of the house, if I let her. "Totally Meaningless" is the promise from my son to fill his bank account, rather than spend his money on video games. Those two descriptions just don't do it for me when it comes to helping someone with their spelling/grammar...

Besides - is it "tacky" and "totally meaningless" that CigarDan is DEFINITELY showing an improvement in his spelling and grammar since he first came here? "COMMON" (as they like to say in Eastern Europe!)

I'm just truly thankful that I don't participate on any Eastern European online cigar board - they'd DESTROY me if I tried to communicate in their native language...
    Good. I'm glad we got that all sorted out. It surprises me somewhat that it isn't realized that most everything on these discussion forums is opinion. I have tried in the past to state things in a way that reflected my thoughts as opinions. I guess I need to do a better job.

...and since you brought it up

The American Heritage Dictionary lists one of its definitions for the word "tacky" as "Distasteful or offensive; tasteless: a tacky remark."

and by "meaningless" I was using it in the context of something totally unrelated to the discussion at hand. In the context of the post, I feel that your attempt to interject a grammatical correction did nothing to clarify or discuss your position on the point Dan was trying to make, which was we should value our differences and diversity, and could actually be considered a hinderence to keeping the discussion on track. I think it was a bit offensive (i.e., tacky) that you chose to correct him on something so petty on a public forum... but that's just my opinion.

It does seem to me that one or two folks here have felt an obligation from time to time to *help* others by publicly correcting grammar and spelling errors. In my opinion, if someone wants to give constructive criticism, it is something that is better given in private. I feel that if someone really has a need to point out a *personally perceived* weakness, it'd probably be much more appropriate to send a PM. In my opinion, criticism, whether constructive or otherwise, is still just that... criticism. I'd personally compare it to having your boss give you your review at the water cooler or in the company newsletter.

By the way, I really want to say that I never knew that Dan was a foreign national until I met him in Atlanta, so I guess I really never noticed anything in his posts that would suggest he needed any help. His posts have always come across to me as intelligent and well thought out; much more so, to me, than a lot of posters I've seen here and on other forums who were born in this country. I guess that's probably why I never noticed the "improvement" you speak of.

...and to your comment about Americans participating on European boards...

You needn't be afraid of it. I travel a lot to Europe, as Pauline is a foreign national also. The folks there are much more tolerant and understanding of those of us who don't speak their language "too good." In fact, they seem genuinely grateful when Americans make an effort to speak in the local language or dialog. Of course, that is just a personal observation.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post

By the way, I really want to say that I never knew that Dan was a foreign national until I met him in Atlanta, so I guess I really never noticed anything in his posts that would suggest he needed any help. His posts have always come across to me as intelligent and well thought out; much more so, to me, than a lot of posters I've seen here and on other forums who were born in this country. I guess that's probably why I never noticed the "improvement" you speak of.
    Damn...You learn something every day. I don't care where Dan is from or how he got here. He communicates quite well. I understand him completely...Always have.

What I like about Dan is the genuine from the heart way he comes across. He takes time to insure his posts are not insulting and overbearing.

The "Mrs. Crabtree" attitude turns most people off...Seems like people would learn from others mistakes.

I don't kare from spelling and gramma anyways at forum.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    I don't kare from spelling and gramma anyways at forum.
    Dat autta bee "speeling."

This thread has so many examples of "trolling" and "fishing" in it that it ought to be stickied as an educational aid.

EDIT: oh yeah... Sorry, I forgot... In my opinion, of course!
    Last edited by Shelby07; 10-01-2007 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shagaroo View Post
    So Bill, er... George. How long can we expect you to be all butt hurt over Bill getting tossed? I mean, the whining before was bad enough, but pretending to be Bill is pretty pathetic. I think the fact that Dan is actually a decent human being earns him the right to misspell things if he so chooses to not be an anal retentive jackass.
    Oh, Jack... You're just all butt-hurt because I didn't offer to wash and wax your car when I come into town tomorrow/Wednesday...

Friggen grouch...

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Oh, Jack... You're just all butt-hurt because I didn't offer to wash and wax your car when I come into town tomorrow/Wednesday...

Friggen grouch...
    My butt hurtz from this cheap ass chair I have to sit in all day at my office. If I can get any recommendations on a good butt massage place, it would be greatly appreciated
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

I hear you can get your butt massaged at the State penitentiary
    Family, Friends and a good cigar. Oh and some fishing too!

Blog Entries

I guess new meaning would be given to the phrase "deep tissue massage" in this case.

That's OK I got something from my pharmacy and now my butt is fine.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Thread Information