Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrapper On or Off

Does leaving the wrapper on in your humidor make any difference?

Personally, I take them off. Plastic is on there to keep the humidity in during transport, storage, etc. I think once they make it to your humidor, the cello has no use. However, depending on the size of your humidor, you may want to keep them on the flavored cigars, etc.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I usually take most the cello's off. Sometimes I'll leave a couple of cigars in the humidor with the cello's just in case I need to travel with a couple, or give them as gifts.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Off - I just like the way they look and I think it is easier for the cigars to age with the cellos off. But that is just me.
    No signature required, pay any bank.

I love mine one. That way my cigars don't get STD's... errr wait wrong topic.

Actually I do keep it on, because I don't know when I might be sending
    out a cigar bomb or be digging around a bit too roughly in the humidor
    so it offers some added protection.

i always remove mine. i agree with cocky, it's my understanding it's only for protection during shipping and transport. in your humidor you want it off.

I have read thus far that(prefrence of course) it may be best to leave the plastic on so the taste from your expensive cigars won't mix with your cheap ones. Even though I am so new my opinion doesn't have any real weight, I would leave them on, to insure that when I smoke it, it tastes the way the maker intended it to taste. On the other hand, if you have some cheap cigars, taking the wrapper off and keeping them in a humidor with some pricier cigars might add to their flavour.

Default Well, I like them on baby!

This always seems to be a hotly debated topic on cigars.

The cello wrapper while for one is used to protect the cigar wrapper leaf from damage during shipping, is also there to help stabilize the cigar during storage and to keep the essential oils in the cigar. A cigar will still age with it's wrapper on, albeit a little bit slower than it would with it taken off.

BUT, storing a cigar with the wrapper off for extended periods requires very stable temp and humidity control. This is next to impossible when using humidors that most of us have. Every time you open your humidor, particularly in the winter months when ambient rh is an average of 40%, you are exposing it to a radically different environment than exists inside of it. I believe most of us open our humidors at least once a day and sometimes more making them just a bit unstable.

The cello wrapper protects the cigar from sudden changes in rh% and helps keep in flavor.

Keep in mind also that most of us don't really age cigars anyway. We smoke them! I have a moderate sized cabinet humidor. I'll be damned if any cigar has a chance of lasting more than eight months in my humidor before its smoked anyway!

Also, alot of cigars aren't meant for aging. I understand that any Dominican cigar should be smoked within the first two years of it's life. Going much more beyond that, the cigar begins to mellow too much and loses flavor.

I once bought a couple of boxes of El Rey del Mundo Reserva Saladas. Beautiful sun grown wrappers. A nice toro sized cigar. Sweet, spicy. I went through a box and thought I'd hold on to the other for a couple of years to see what happens. The ERdM's came in cabinet boxes, bundled with a ribbon. The cigars had no cello. Just the cabinet cedar box. Two years later, I lit one up and they were flat and boring having lost all of their original spiciness.

From then on, any cigar I buy that has no cello gets smoked right away. Even one of my local dealers agreed with me stating he felt that the cigars that sit in his humi-rooms for a long time with no cello lose flavor.

I am also aware that some manufacturers ship "green" cigars. Cigars that haven't had the chance to rest up properly before being smoked. A cigar can "rest up" in the box with the cello on with no trouble.

It's your choice and this was my two cents!

Last edited by MMAB; 03-13-2005 at 02:01 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Blog Entries

very well written, thank you MMAB.

MMAB,

Well said. I keep the skins on. I don't want pollonation (spelling)....mixing of flavors.

Default Thank you........

Hex and Jules for the compliment!

Good Smokes!

Mark

Blog Entries

I have actually noticed the smokes in my desktop humidor at the office seem to be going through exactly what you mentioned. I have a habit of opening the humidor way too often, the humidity has to go up and down up and down through out the day.

The sticks with out the wrappers seem to be teetering on the dry side; the sticks with the wrappers are fine and dandy.

Quote Originally Posted by JulesCigarQuest
    MMAB,

Well said. I keep the skins on. I don't want pollonation (spelling)....mixing of flavors.
    This made me think of Austin Powers:

"So I started to work my mojo, to counter their mojo...we got cross-mojination and their heads started to explode!"

What about the aluminum humitubes - I have a RyJ I brought from Canada in 03 that I am trying to 'bring back to life' and wonder if I should place it back in the tube and then in the humidor?

Thanks!

Default Ah...a ressurected post

Supposedly, in a perfect world, a tubed cigar is supposed to be fine on it's own in any normal environment. That's "in a perfect world"......

Chances are that the tube has been opened once or twice or thrice or.........

If you know for 100% sure that the tube has never been opened and is sealed tight and hasn't been left on the dashboard top in the sun or on top of anything hot, it should be perfectly fine as is.

But since that is difficult to be sure on that, I would put it back in your humidor opened for a month or two, if not longer.

But if the cigar has dried out, sorry, it's hopeless. The flavor is gone and no amount of time in a humidor will bring it back.

Tubed cigars are great for travel, etc when you can't bring along your humidor. The industry claims as long as the tube remains tightly sealed, unopened, the cigar will stay fresh for a long, long time on it's own.

Well, it has dried out to some extent, but I have seen much worse.

We can always hope, can't we?

Thanks for your insight.

17. Default

Until recently, I've been taking the cello off. I just liked the way the cigars looked in the humidor better that way. But recently I've started to keep to better cigars a bit longer than before and I'm starting to worry about the dreaded tobacco beetle. Presumably, leaving the cigars in the cello wrapper will reduce the risk of an infestation, right? And like the man said, cigars in my humi have very little chance of remaning in there more than--say--a year max, so aging is not really an issue. I'm thinking I'll be leaving the cellophane on in future.
    Supreme Leader Voltron
    bending over and reaching for the Crisco

Weevils chew right through cellophane. The holes in the plastic do help you see them better though.

It all depends on what cigars you have, and how often you check your humidity level in your 'dor. Right now, my small 'dor only has a few Punch Rare Corojos in it, and since they're all the same, i took the cellos off, in order for the aromatics of the spanish cedar to do its thing. However, if you have some super mild's and a couple full, strong cigars, i would keep the cellos on, however, i'd open the ends, so that the cigars could breath, otherwise, they'd just take up the rest of the humidity in the plastic, and dry out, even inside your 'dor. So i say, if you have all the same cigars, (or similar cigars that you don't mind "merrying") go ahead, and take those cello's off, otherwise, just open the ends, and let them breathe a bit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cockyhoskins
    Personally, I take them off. Plastic is on there to keep the humidity in during transport, storage, etc. I think once they make it to your humidor, the cello has no use. However, depending on the size of your humidor, you may want to keep them on the flavored cigars, etc.

I KNEW there was a reason why this guy was one of the biggest waste of bandwidth this site had ever seen. What a freakin' DORK.

This is the type of cigar MISinformation this place does not need.

Anyone see how the University of South Carolina football team is doing so far this year?

BUNCHA FUGGEN LOSERS

There IS such a thing as the "Chicken Curse" and Clemson will kick your sorry asses all over Columbia this year.

GO TIGERS !!!
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Thread Information