Thread: Tough Question

Default Tough Question

Hey guys yesterday me and friend had a very interesting discussion that lasted a while and we still could not come up with an answer that we felt is defintelly the standard that everyone should go by. So I decided to pose this question to you in hopes that perhaps between all of us we can reach the best solution.

By the way a similar post was made on a different board so if you happen to run across it don't feel that either is a rip off of the original

Here is the deal:

A certain reputable vendor has a sale. The terms are if you buy 4 boxes of cigars in a certain price range with let's say a total purchase price of a $1000 you will get a 10 count box of nice cigars for FREE This 10 count MSRPs for $170.

Scenario 1: It just happens that you don't enjoy that particular brand that the FREE 10 count is from although they are a very popular cigar enjoyed by many. Would it be ok to post on this or other forum that you are selling this 10 count? or trading it for something else?

Scenario 2: A few weeks after the purchase you decide to make some space in you inventory and if possible recoup some of your purchasing costs to either buy some other goods in the future or trade for those other goods now. So you have 2 5ers from 2 boxes that you are willing to either sell or trade. These are 5ers from the above purchase but not from the 10 count but other boxes. So lets say here is the cost break down ( $220, $250, $330, $200 + Free 10 count MSRP $170 ) What is the reasonable amount to sell or trade those 5ers for.

Now assume that the person knows that beyond just the monetary aspects there are also moral ones involved and it is not the persons motive to make a profit from someone but to simply try to get something done without putting himself at a loss at the same time.

If possible try to give in depth reasoning behind your choices as that is really what matters the most !!!!

Let me eat lunch and I'll come back to this. To much thinking on an empty stomach is not healthy.

Investing in cigars is just like investing in the stock market. If you can buy low and sell high, then go for it. I'm a capitalist by nature, so I say make a buck when you can. However, capitalism and philanthropy aren't mutually exclusive. I love giving away cigars (particularly if I have a bunch of the same cigar from a new batch, as it sounds like you do). There's nothing wrong with selling cigars to those who are fortunate enough to be able to afford them, and donating the rest to noobs/friends/those who are less fortunate.

I think if the person buying them is happy with the deal then it's a good one. The seller needs to do what he is comfortable with. Personally, I would not try to make a profit on them, but I am in a different place in my life than I was 35 years ago and there is no need to. At one time I couldn't afford to be generous, now I enjoy it.

As for trading - like for like. The sticks you are getting were probably bought at a discount.

Scenario 1: It just happens that you don't enjoy that particular brand that the FREE 10 count is from although they are a very popular cigar enjoyed by many. Would it be ok to post on this or other forum that you are selling this 10 count? or trading it for something else?
    Yes of course. It is part of the bargin of your purchase. Nothing is free. The value of that 10 count is incorporated in your purchase. You are not under any obligation to pass that on. If you offer it at msrp, that's fine. You are the one who took the risk and laid out the funds.

Scenario 2: A few weeks after the purchase you decide to make some space in you inventory and if possible recoup some of your purchasing costs to either buy some other goods in the future or trade for those other goods now. So you have 2 5ers from 2 boxes that you are willing to either sell or trade. These are 5ers from the above purchase but not from the 10 count but other boxes. So lets say here is the cost break down ( $220, $250, $330, $200 + Free 10 count MSRP $170 ) What is the reasonable amount to sell or trade those 5ers for.
    The reasonalbe amount to sell or trade the 5ers are your cost for those particular sticks, plus shipping. Not the average of all the sticks including the free gift.

Now assume that the person knows that beyond just the monetary aspects there are also moral ones involved and it is not the persons motive to make a profit from someone but to simply try to get something done without putting himself at a loss at the same time.
    If your giving them the same or better deal that they would get from a vendor (probably better seeing you doing 5'ers out of a box) then they should be thriled and your morals should be satisfied. There is no reason to take a loss.

My opinion.

Great answers so far.

By the way just as a disclosure this is a hypothetical scenario that simply looks at ones beliefs regarding morals, money, friends etc.......

7. Default

I'd give the 10 cigars away to somebody or use em as bonuses in trades. Honestly I dont sweat 10 cigars or their value even if they were cuban or opus. I think the omly time I ever profited on cigars was selling some origional release anejos on yahoo years ago,I made a couple bucks a stick IIRC.
    The older I get ,the better I was

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    I'd give the 10 cigars away to somebody or use em as bonuses in trades. Honestly I dont sweat 10 cigars or their value even if they were cuban or opus. I think the omly time I ever profited on cigars was selling some origional release anejos on yahoo years ago,I made a couple bucks a stick IIRC.
    Good point... you probably couldn't make enough to make a difference anyway, so why bother.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    anytime you don't feel like sweatin' 10 isoms or opus x, you just let me know.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Thread Information