Thread: A.F. Hemingway Classic maduro

Default A.F. Hemingway Classic maduro

Pre-Smoke

The construction on the A.F. Hemingway Classic maduro was perfect and very tightly packed. It's amazing how firm this cigar was, yet still had a great draw to it. The cigar is wrapped in a beautiful Connecticut broadleaf maduro that has a pleasant sweet aroma to it. I used a Xikar guillotine cutter to clip the head off and just a little bit of the foot to give me more surface to light.

I paired this cigar with a couple of bottles of Ayinger Celebrator.

Smoke

The cigar started off with rich flavors of good tobacco. I picked up hints of cocoa and subtle sweetness flavor. It started off as a mild cigar and slowly built up to a medium body. The burn was perfect and the ash held on for dear life. I had to tap the ash off at about every 2 inches.
    The sweetness continued to build and become the dominant flavor through the middle of the cigar. I would describe the sweetness as vanilla. This sweet vanilla flavor never became overpowering nor did it detract from the other well balanced flavors of the cigar.
    Towards the end of the cigar (about the last third), I began to pick up a little spice from the cigar. This was a very muted spice that complimented the sweetness of the cigar very well.

Overall this was a pretty good cigar, especially if you prefer mild to medium cigars. This is not a cigar I would buy a box of because I normally enjoy full bodied cigars (the kind that have me reaching for my beer after every puff).

In retrospect, I should have saved the Ayinger for a cigar with a little more bite. In my opinion, a coffee style drink such as a con leche would have been a better pairing for the A.F. Hemingway Classic madie.

Wow nice looking cigar. I guess those are pretty hard to get as I never see them in my local shops or the online stores I shop at.
    "Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men."

Quote Originally Posted by njsarge54 View Post
    Wow nice looking cigar. I guess those are pretty hard to get as I never see them in my local shops or the online stores I shop at.
    Check out your local B&M's around Christmas and Father's day. They are only released twice a year. They shouldn't charge you a premium on the maduro versions. If they gouge you on the price, don't pay it. These are worth the MSRP but not some of the prices you see stores asking.

Great review. These are good smokes and even better (as you mentioned for next time..)- as an afternooner with a coffee style drink.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

I’m having a hard time finding these…anyone know where I can find some? Any place on line selling?

Quote Originally Posted by Maduro Man View Post
    I’m having a hard time finding these…anyone know where I can find some? Any place on line selling?
    If I told you they would kill me. Only the highest selling B&M's get them. If your willing to pay, the devil gets them. Maybe even a few other places get them. I just got one in the cigar draft, Hell it's one of the rarer ones too boot. BigMacFU was selling a 5 pack not that long ago.

DG
    Last edited by Diesel Grinch; 12-02-2007 at 02:29 PM.
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Hope I'm not out of line, but just ran across the AF Hemingways (I think) at cigar hut, appears their stock may be limited.

http://www.cigarsforless.com/arturo-...s-c-21_41.html

Cheers,

Rusty

Very hard to get, but I have my source, they're always in stock, but they're always 18 or more bucks.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Quote Originally Posted by ralford View Post
    Hope I'm not out of line, but just ran across the AF Hemingways (I think) at cigar hut, appears their stock may be limited.

http://www.cigarsforless.com/arturo-...s-c-21_41.html

Cheers,

Rusty

Those are Heminways, but unfortunately they are not the Maduro version. Those are the regular release which have a Cameroon wrapper.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

The first item describes a Cameroon, however the second (without a picture) claims to be the Maduro but is listed as a US/Conn Broadleaf. Seems inconsistent to me, although Maduro seems to be more of a process than a type of leaf. At any rate, still to pricy for my tastebuds.

Cheers,

Rusty

The first item describes a Cameroon, however the second (without a picture) claims to be the Maduro but is listed as a US/Conn Broadleaf. Seems inconsistent to me, although Maduro seems to be more of a process than a type of leaf. At any rate, still to pricy for my tastebuds.

Cheers,

Rusty
    Well that's what I get for not reading past the first description..
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

For those looking, you might try here. There is a minimum purchase of $25 before they'll let you have any premiums and then they are very limited. Also, you have to call in your order. Was gonna include list but it started looking like an ad. Anyway, you can request a list and they'll email it to you.

Also, this site is excellent. You have to call in (maybe you can email an order too), but their inventory is good and they'll sell singles.
    Last edited by basil; 12-02-2007 at 04:13 PM.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Ran onto a Hemingway Signature Maduro (6x47) at my local yesterday and couldn't pass it by. Wonderful smoke, even in a cold drizzling rain (would that be a sign of addiction?). Burn was perfect after self-correcting for an uneven light. Only problem was the Signature disappeared to quickly and had me searching for my ancient roach clips

I am confused (what's new you say?) because the prices were in the $8-10 range depending on size. Prices on the internet appear to hover closer to the $20-30 range for the Maduro wrapper (http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=325).

Perhaps the B&M confused the price/wrapper? Isn't the Cameroon a lighter brown/tan than the dark-chocolate Maduro? Might need to make a run to the B&M again. Actually even for the Cameroon their prices were slightly less than cigar.com.

Cheers,

Rusty

Ran onto a Hemingway Signature Maduro (6x47) at my local yesterday and couldn't pass it by. Wonderful smoke, even in a cold drizzling rain (would that be a sign of addiction?). Burn was perfect after self-correcting for an uneven light. Only problem was the Signature disappeared to quickly and had me searching for my ancient roach clips

I am confused (what's new you say?) because the prices were in the $8-10 range depending on size. Prices on the internet appear to hover closer to the $20-30 range for the Maduro wrapper (http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=325).

Perhaps the B&M confused the price/wrapper? Isn't the Cameroon a lighter brown/tan than the dark-chocolate Maduro? Might need to make a run to the B&M again. Actually even for the Cameroon their prices were slightly less than cigar.com.

Cheers,

Rusty
    The maduros usually get gouged on the internet, especially cigar.com. They are the worst. Sounds like your B&M has some good prices. If your B&M is not gouging, the maddie versions should only be $1 more or so than the Cammys. At that price, this is a wonderful smoke. Not worth the prices you see it going for on the internet though.

Thanks for the information and insight W. Ran across a tremendous range in premiums for the maduro, from none to about double as you suggest. The Cbid thread has the same issues compounded with an inaccurate picture of the sticks, there is one explicitly indicated as a maduro today with the same images... As always, buyer beware, nOOb even more so!

On the other hand, I did enjoy the local Hemingway I located at a reasonable price. Probably doesn't matter if it is wrapped in burlap

Cheers,

Rusty

Thread Information