Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fakes?

From Boston, Live in Alabama,Stationed in Iraq.

Default fakes?

K. I am in Iraq, and I can get Cohibas, Mac's, Punches, from Havana, but how do I tell if they are fakes?

2. Default

I'd say to stick with the Tubos. I smoked some Monte Tubos and some RyJ a bud of mine brought from Kuwait...They were real.

There's a new and revolutionary search engine out these days...it has a funny name...Foogle?...no....Moogle?...no...

Ah, yes...Google....

www.Google.com

Amazing, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by CigarDoc View Post
    K. I am in Iraq, and I can get Cohibas, Mac's, Punches, from Havana, but how do I tell if they are fakes?
    Odds are they are fake but if you enjoy them, who cares. There are lots of online sites that can help you spot fakes.

Quote Originally Posted by JFellows View Post
    There's a new and revolutionary search engine out these days...it has a funny name...Foogle?...no....Moogle?...no...

Ah, yes...Google....

www.Google.com

Amazing, isn't it?
    Quite amazing indeed.

Macanoodles from Havana, well you learn something new every day.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by stjohnroe View Post
    Macanoodles from Havana, well you learn something new every day.
    Damn...I missed that part of the post. I want some.

Are you guys always this sarcastic? I hope it's just in good fun, and not a reflection of the kind of people that post on this site.

Guy behind the counter at gas station: "I'm picking up your sarcasm."
    David Spade: "Well I should hope so, because I'm laying it on pretty thick."

Anyone...

To answer your question, yes sarcasm runs rampant on the board. Take it in stride and laugh with everyone else.

JFellows post was a not so subtle hint to try a search. This board has a search function as well. You can find most of your answers through that.

Also, post an intro, tell us a little about yourself and what you like/dislike.

spiffy

Are you guys always this sarcastic? I hope it's just in good fun, and not a reflection of the kind of people that post on this site.
    stay here a while and you, too, will get tired of answering the same questions.
    try searching the site, there is plenty of information to keep you reading for hours.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any cigar rolled in Cuba. I'm a bit of a girlie-man when it comes to violating some laws.

Cuban Assets Control Regulations, 31 C.F.R. Part 515, are administered and enforced by the Office of Foreign Assets Control. Criminal penalties for violation of the Regulations can go as high as $1 million for corporations, and $250,000 for individuals plus up to 10 years in prison. In addition, civil penalties of up to $65,000 per violation can be imposed by OFAC.

It is illegal for a US citizen to buy Cuban products anywhere in the world. So even though you are out of country you still can not taste the forbidden fruit.

Here's a link to the US Treasury Department for more information.

http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforce...uba/cuba.shtml

There was an article in Cigar Aficionado over the summer regarding the Treasury Dept. stepping up enforcement in recent years. I avoid buying them because of the few Cuban's I've had given to me, I haven't found one worth up to $250,000.

You call it breaking the law; I call it civil disobedience.

*Fires up an HDM 2007 EL*

Just an observation here...

The guy is in Iraq. Sometimes bandwidth is hard to get.

There are loads of links here that will instruct you how to spot a fake and a bunch of websites out there. I don't have any of the links saved and don't have time to search for you but it's out there. But when it comes down to it, if the person making/selling the fakes knows what they are doing, the only way to tell is by smoking it, presuming you have smoke more than a few of those before.

But - if you have some guy trying to sell you macanudos as cubans, I bet you real money that everything he is selling is a fake.

hehehe. Well, it's a good thing the army didn't take away my sense of humor... I could have taken offense. I'm farely sarcastic myself...

Quote Originally Posted by dauker View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't buy any cigar rolled in Cuba. I'm a bit of a girlie-man when it comes to violating some laws.

Cuban Assets Control Regulations, 31 C.F.R. Part 515, are administered and enforced by the Office of Foreign Assets Control. Criminal penalties for violation of the Regulations can go as high as $1 million for corporations, and $250,000 for individuals plus up to 10 years in prison. In addition, civil penalties of up to $65,000 per violation can be imposed by OFAC.

It is illegal for a US citizen to buy Cuban products anywhere in the world. So even though you are out of country you still can not taste the forbidden fruit.

Here's a link to the US Treasury Department for more information.

http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforce...uba/cuba.shtml

There was an article in Cigar Aficionado over the summer regarding the Treasury Dept. stepping up enforcement in recent years. I avoid buying them because of the few Cuban's I've had given to me, I haven't found one worth up to $250,000.

HEHEHE. That's funny cuz they let the local national sell em right on our base. All in all, I have smoked a few, and I can't tell what the big deal is... I'd rather have a Fuente any day.

HEHEHE. That's funny cuz they let the local national sell em right on our base. All in all, I have smoked a few, and I can't tell what the big deal is... I'd rather have a Fuente any day.
    I remember how big of a deal it was to get drunk when I was a teenager. Now that I'm in my 20's and can drink whenever I like it's not so exciting. Although I do have a bottle of absynth just because I'm not supposed to. I feel Cuban's are sought after because you're not supposed to have them. Some people have told me I haven't had a good Cuban, which could be true. The Cuban's I have had were given to me by people who I wouldn't really consider intelligent about cigars, so they may have been fakes or not cared for properly. But I still hold that it's not worth the potential fines, as dumb as the embargo is.

I remember how big of a deal it was to get drunk when I was a teenager. Now that I'm in my 20's and can drink whenever I like it's not so exciting. Although I do have a bottle of absynth just because I'm not supposed to. I feel Cuban's are sought after because you're not supposed to have them. Some people have told me I haven't had a good Cuban, which could be true. The Cuban's I have had were given to me by people who I wouldn't really consider intelligent about cigars, so they may have been fakes or not cared for properly. But I still hold that it's not worth the potential fines, as dumb as the embargo is.
    I can walk down to my local tobacconist and all they sell is Cuban cigars. IMO, they ARE a big deal.

Give me a $6 Cuban over a 6$ non-Cuban any day.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post
    I can walk down to my local tobacconist and all they sell is Cuban cigars. IMO, they ARE a big deal.

Give me a $6 Cuban over a 6$ non-Cuban any day.
    Yeah, but you also drive a Neon....

Yeah, but you also drive a Neon....
    which is why he walks to the store.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Thread Information