Thread: smoking bans going too far?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default smoking bans going too far?

I was browsing the web today and found an interesting article about a smoking ban in California. I realize that a lot of states now have passed bans, but this one I think goes way too far. Here is the article:

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_7...nclick_check=1

The ban prohibits people smoking in there own condo or apartment as well as public parks and public places. When will this crap stop?

So apparently after I looked at the link above, you have to register and be a member to look at the webpage again. Anyway here is the article from another source:

BELMONT, Calif. — Officials in Belmont have given final approval to a new smoking ban that is considered to be one of the toughest in the nation.

After a late push to ease some of the restrictions, the Belmont City Council voted Tuesday to pass the anti-smoking ordinance.

Prohibitions on smoking in parks and other public places will take effect in 30 days. The ordinance’s most hotly contested elements — which ban smoking inside apartments and condominiums — won’t be enforced for another 14 months.

Officials say the ordinance was written so that smokers will only face enforcement if their neighbors complain.

People will still be able to smoke on Belmont’s streets and sidewalks as long as they are not loitering near the entrance to homes or businesses and in parking lots and designated smoking areas.

you can smoke on the street but not in your own home? I dont see how that relationship makes sense! That is why I dont live in CA.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Wow, that sucks!

Strange that CA is simultaneously the most liberal state when it comes to marijuana smoking.

Columbus/Canton, OH (home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame!!!)

I think it's a bit ridiculous that you can't smoke in your own home. However, with apartments and condominiums I can see where they're coming from. With the way all the ventilation is hooked up in most complexes it would make it easy for your neighbors to smell you making a bag of popcorn let alone smoking a big ol' stogie. So as a way of privacy and courtesy I understand where the law makers are coming from.

We have a smoking ban here in Ohio for public places as well which I actually voted for. I personally only smoke cigars every so often as a social venture with my buddies (being a college athlete it can't be good for me but you only live once right?). And I am on the same page witht those who don't want to be bothered by smoke in a restaurant while trying to enjoy a meal with their family. It is harmful and those who don't wish to engage in the environment shouldn't need to. So I don't think smoking bans are necessarily bad. Regardless I'm starting to stray from the topic.

It is interesting that California always seems to have such a laid back attitude about most things and lets most acts slide and now they enact this one. Oh well, that's why I don't live out there (on top of it being expensive as hell!).

Thread Information