Thread: Home Draft System

Default Home Draft System

Now this is sweet -

My wife has been after me to brew up a couple batch of this beer she likes for the fall/winter and to have around for the holidays.

I said OK.

Then she said I should start Kegging my beer. I had bought a couple 5 gallon kegs a few years ago but never got the rest of the stuff.

Then last night she said she wants me to order the rest of the kegging stuff.

Dam, don't need to hear that twice.

So I have now ordered all the stuff and will be converting a fridge in the basement into a two product kegerator.

I'm putting tap handles on the door, drip tray with a drain, etc.

I also have some commercial connectors from my bartending days so I think I first set this up with a 5.5 gallon commercial keg while the home brew is doing it's thing.

I'll post a pic or two once the stuff arrives and I have it set up. I ordered it today so hopefully next week I'll be able to get it installed.

This is either going to be a really good thing or a really bad, but fun, thing.

that sounds fun. i would like to be a tester.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

Columbus/Canton, OH (home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame!!!)

Your wife sounds like a keeper. Hold on to that one.

Very cool of your wife. Sounds like the keg-erator will be fun, what do I need to bring to the party?

According to Fed Ex ground the equipment is on route for delivery today.

Sweet.

I have a small hearing on the merits tomorrow that I am working on but come Friday PM - Boo Yaaa - I'm converting my old fridge and getting it all set up. Saturday morning, I'm picking up a 5.5 gallon keg of a yet-to-be-decided micro brew.

The homebrew isn't ready and I don't feel like waiting.

Blog Entries

You are a fortunate man! Please post up some pics as you make the conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    Saturday morning, I'm picking up a 5.5 gallon keg of a yet-to-be-decided micro brew.
    I would suggest Pabst Blue Ribbon or Old Milwaukee.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    I would suggest Pabst Blue Ribbon or Old Milwaukee.
    I second PBR.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Thanks but...

I'm thinking allagash white, Sam octoberfest or maybe magic hat #9

You're thinking weaksauce is what you're thinking. Hit that baby up with one of the fine brews from Ommegang or some Fin Du Monde
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

I'd do a Fin Du Monde but I've never seen a keg of it. Plus I think it's a bit much for the wife.

12. Default

That is too cool...

A bit much for the wife is much better for you, her beer goggles will be that much more instant and she'll be ready to love you much quicker than usual.

As for kegs, I'd find out who the local distributor of your favorite belgian (not the liquor store) and see if they'll sell a keg to a private individual. Otherwise, work something out with the liquor store to special order a keg for you.

Ommegang just released a belgian style brewed with actual belgian chocolate, bet she'd enjoy that.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

forgot all about this thread. I'll take some pics and get them up. Also a parts list. This was probably one of the most rewarding projects I've done. Sure the hardwood floors I put in look nice, but with a ice cold draft I could live with sub-flooring.

And it took all of 20 to 30 mins. to finish.

Congratulations. Can't wait to see the pics.
    Wild

On Tap -

1. Red IPA
    2. Extreme Red

Secondary - Mesquite Bourbon Mead

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind." - Humphrey Bogart

Default first post, been itching to reply to this one...

Just curious, but why not run the hose/tap system to a spot upstairs? i mean granted its a project... but how many average folk can claim that?

if i had a basement, i might be tempted to try that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmanrkg3 View Post
    Just curious, but why not run the hose/tap system to a spot upstairs? i mean granted its a project... but how many average folk can claim that?

Welcome to the forum from Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by bmanrkg3 View Post

The wife said no.

Thread Information