Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer Thread

jealous

Magic Hat #9 might be my favorite beer right now, and its pretty available in Columbus. I just picked up a sixer for about 8 bucks at kroger. The also had a seasonal winter ale i'm eager to try. i also really like the Great Lakes Brewing Co. Dortmunder Gold.
    Mark 8:36

I just picked up 4 Abyss by Deschutes and 2 SA Chocolate Bocks to help bring the ladies in the family closer to beer.
    Wild

On Tap -

1. Red IPA
    2. Extreme Red

Secondary - Mesquite Bourbon Mead

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind." - Humphrey Bogart

Mmm.. beer.

I finally got back into the land of good beer. Iowa has some crazy blue laws that limit any beer (not wine) over 6% ABV to state controlled. The state is so far behind in payments to breweries that most micros will not ship anymore.

I've been in VA since the middle of Nov. now and gorging on the good stuff. I'm a fan of Dog Fish Head, Omegang, Stone, and for everydays or when I want quantity over quality I like Newcastle, Yuengling, or Strongbow(cider).

I did bring back some Innis & Gunn from my recent trip to Scottland/England. I'm looking forward to a reason to break into those.

Anyone ever do a beer trade? It could be fun but I would think the shipping would make it prohibitive.
    "This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it." - V

"You can't change the times you live in, you can only change how you choose to live in those times" - ??

Blog Entries

Enjoyed a Fantome Saison over Christmas. Delicious.

I actually did a beer tasting with my father in law and about 8 assorded Ales and Stouts, with some cheeses. It worked out pretty well. If I can find it, I'll post the full list. My wife always always likes doing wine tastings, so I thought, why not a beer tasting?

I am stuck in the land of Abita beers right now. *Sigh*

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Thats a tasty Saison. I'm curious to see your list, did you have any cheeses that paired well?

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    Enjoyed a Fantome Saison over Christmas. Delicious.

I actually did a beer tasting with my father in law and about 8 assorded Ales and Stouts, with some cheeses. It worked out pretty well. If I can find it, I'll post the full list. My wife always always likes doing wine tastings, so I thought, why not a beer tasting?

I am stuck in the land of Abita beers right now. *Sigh*

"You can't change the times you live in, you can only change how you choose to live in those times" - ??

You can find some nice cheeses that pair well with Belgians.

Ales and stouts are the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    Welcome to the board....what do you like to smoke? Other then the CAO.
    Other than the CAO?

WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    Ales and stouts are the same thing.
    Are they really? Seriously?

I knew Porters and Stouts were the same thing, but thought there were distinct differences between ales and stouts.
    We did:
    Deschutes Brewery Mirror Pond Ale
    Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale
    Stone IPA
    Fantome Saison

Murphy's Stout
    Stockyard Oatmeal Stout
    Deschutes Brewery Black Butte Porter
    Stone XII Anniversary Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

Can't find the list of cheeses, but with the darker beers, there were mostly goudas, and lighter beers there were lighter-bodied cheeses.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Yup.

A beer is either an Ale or a Lager.

Some ale examples are Pale ale, IPA, Porter, Brown, Stout, and Barleywine.
    Some lager styles are Pilsner, Märzen, Bock, and California Common.

And porters and stouts are not the same thing. They can often be very similar. It gets confusing. One of the main differences in that stouts contain roasted barley. But then again, it's become widely acceptable to have roasted barley in porters. My robust porter contains a small amount. Porters came first and were often a more brown color. They used brown malt, usually up to 100% of the grain bill. Stouts later came and nearly wiped out the Porter from it's 200 year reign.

How did you like the Stone XII Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout? I've been looking for it forever.
    Last edited by chefchris; 01-13-2009 at 04:37 PM.

I knew Porters and Stouts were the same thing, but thought there were distinct differences between ales and stouts.
    Can't find the list of cheeses, but with the darker beers, there were mostly goudas, and lighter beers there were lighter-bodied cheeses.
    A Stout is a type of ale that uses roasted / chocolate malt.

How was the Stone XII chocolate stout? I've been on the hunt for their Vertical Epic, I found it once this year and its eluded me since. Since we are in 2009, I believe it will be re-released 9-9-09. Definately one to look out for.

love beer, wish I wasn't such a poor college student though. Mostly I'm drinking natty light, coors, or miller lite if I'm real lucky When I'm home though I have a few with my dad and I enjoy molsen goldens, heineken(sp?), etc. He doesnt stock anything too crazy but it works for me.

Blog Entries

Ugh, I hate living in such a hicktown. I started drinking beer about 2-3 years ago with my brother and his friends who always drank fuller flavored beers like Sam Adams and such, so that is what I like as well. Everyone around here drinks nothing but light domestic macros, most commonly Bud Light. I don't have a problem with that in its self, people can drink whatever they want for all I care. The problem arises when I ask someone who is going out to pick me up a 6pack of Sam Adams, or Killians or Widmer (my all time favorite thus far, I'm a huge fan of their Hefeweizen) and it seems like all they hear is "Bud Light". I've eve tried to simplify it for them since many of the brews I ask for they have probably never heard of. I'll ask for Bud Select, and still I get Bud Light. I would just order a brew kit and make my own if the cops didn't frequent my apartment due to the room mate's parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    I would just order a brew kit and make my own if the cops didn't frequent my apartment due to the room mate's parties.
    I don't think homebrewing is illegal there. Hefeweizens have a quick turn around and are good young.

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    I don't think homebrewing is illegal there. Hefeweizens have a quick turn around and are good young.
    I agree, home brewing is legal.

It may be legal in the state, but the person brewing must be of age as well. Unless your brewing during one of your roomate's parties (don't ask me why you would be doing this) I would highly doubt the cops even noticing a bucket in a corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    Ugh, I hate living in such a hicktown. I started drinking beer about 2-3 years ago with my brother and his friends who always drank fuller flavored beers like Sam Adams and such, so that is what I like as well. Everyone around here drinks nothing but light domestic macros, most commonly Bud Light. I don't have a problem with that in its self, people can drink whatever they want for all I care. The problem arises when I ask someone who is going out to pick me up a 6pack of Sam Adams, or Killians or Widmer (my all time favorite thus far, I'm a huge fan of their Hefeweizen) and it seems like all they hear is "Bud Light". I've eve tried to simplify it for them since many of the brews I ask for they have probably never heard of. I'll ask for Bud Select, and still I get Bud Light. I would just order a brew kit and make my own if the cops didn't frequent my apartment due to the room mate's parties.
    The cheapest beer usually reins supreme when in college. It was all Natty Ice, PBR and Miller Highlife when I was in college. I do still love PBR though. Right now the winter brews are my beers of choice. ATM Blue Moon- Full Moon is what I'm drinking.

Homebrewing is still illegal some states.
    Wild

On Tap -

1. Red IPA
    2. Extreme Red

Secondary - Mesquite Bourbon Mead

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind." - Humphrey Bogart

Quote Originally Posted by logan37 View Post
    The cheapest beer usually reins supreme when in college. It was all Natty Ice, PBR and Miller Highlife when I was in college. I do still love PBR though. Right now the winter brews are my beers of choice. ATM Blue Moon- Full Moon is what I'm drinking.
    PBR is an award winning beverage. I drank enough PBR in college to collect a full deck of poker card bottle caps. I could never do highlife, but keystone was another classic cheap beer.

Blog Entries

I still have to wait 5 months before I can legally home brew, and there have been several occasions when I've been awakened from my sleep by a cop wanting to search my room for people hiding. I'm not saying I always prefer sleep to parties, but when I have to get up at 5 to exercise the next morning, sleep is preferred haha.

I haven't gotten a chance to try Full Moon yet, but the original Blue Moon is mighty tasty.

Thread Information