Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer Thread

Quote Originally Posted by FactoredReality View Post
    PBR is an award winning beverage. I drank enough PBR in college to collect a full deck of poker card bottle caps. I could never do highlife, but keystone was another classic cheap beer.
    I'm lucky to get a highlife or even keystone nowadays its all about the natty lol.

Blog Entries

Default Yingyang

I'm sure someone will bash this... but

I have a barrel of Yuengling Lord Chesterfield Ale on tap now, and I usually have Yuengling Porter on tap.

At work, we do a holiday beer swap, where 8 of us each get a case of micro / craft brews, and switch them around.

After that, I'm spoiled for about a week, untill I condition myself back to the Yueng.

On a side bar, Yuengling is releasing an un-announced, un-marketed boc for February.

I'm gettin' one!

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    Yup.

A beer is either an Ale or a Lager.

Some ale examples are Pale ale, IPA, Porter, Brown, Stout, and Barleywine.
    Some lager styles are Pilsner, Märzen, Bock, and California Common.

And porters and stouts are not the same thing. They can often be very similar. It gets confusing. One of the main differences in that stouts contain roasted barley. But then again, it's become widely acceptable to have roasted barley in porters. My robust porter contains a small amount. Porters came first and were often a more brown color. They used brown malt, usually up to 100% of the grain bill. Stouts later came and nearly wiped out the Porter from it's 200 year reign.

How did you like the Stone XII Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout? I've been looking for it forever.
    True. The difference is what type of yeast is used. Bottom or top fermenting.

Will

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    True. The difference is what type of yeast is used. Bottom or top fermenting.

Will
    And also fermentation temperature.

I tried the Yuengling Porter once. I couldn't finish it.

Blog Entries

What happened? Did you have to leave to go somewhere quickly?

Will

Uncle Tupelo

What happened? Did you have to leave to go somewhere quickly?

Will
    hahaha

no, i didn't want to throw up in a beer that I knew my friend would finish for me.

Blog Entries

well, at least you didn't waste it.

Will

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I had a pint of Troeggs mad elf tonight at a restaurant.
    Very sweet & thick, and very strong. I almost shit myself when I saw it was 7 bucks on the tab.

I heard troeggs nugget nectar is out. Mmmm

Will

Uncle Tupelo

what is the best way to package and ship, via ups or usps, bottles of beer? How do you guys do it?
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Cabaiguan Juan View Post
    what is the best way to package and ship, via ups or usps, bottles of beer? How do you guys do it?
    I try to wrap each bottle seperatley and make sure once it's all packed up to pick up the box and shake it around to make sure nothing's loose. It's illegal to ship alcohol through USPS, UPS doesn't like it but they'll do it. They never have a problem when I'm shipping 'yeast samples'.

Chris nailed it on the head. If you can ship in 22oz bottles you will save a little bit on weight, but liquid is just heavy and $$ to ship.

Nalgene bottles work really well if you want to ship that non-carbonated stuff that you find in a mason jar.
    "This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it." - V

"You can't change the times you live in, you can only change how you choose to live in those times" - ??

So you guys are saying that just wrapping the bottles in bubble wrap works? bubble wrap is sufficent enough to prevent the bottles from being broken in transit? This may be a dumb comment, but i thought that there would be more abuse in transit which would require more then just bubble wrap.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

I have had success with just bubble wrap yes. I have also shipped with just newspaper as well. The key, as Chris noted, is shaking the box and not hearing anything sliding around inside.

Personally I've had more issue with shipping homebrew and not getting the cap tight on the bottle (especially if the batch was a bit over carbonated). Not much you can do to prevent this other than checking over the caps before shipping.
    "This may be the most important moment of your life. Commit to it." - V

"You can't change the times you live in, you can only change how you choose to live in those times" - ??

great, thanks guys!

Blog Entries

Default Let's bump the beer thread

We did our case swap again at work. I was really impressed with the following:

North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
    Terrapin Hopsecutioner India Pale Ale

The imperial stout was very thick and had all kinds of great flavors going on.

The Hopsecutioner IPA was just a good straight up IPA with a lot of grapefruit and floral hop flavors.

Will

Uncle Tupelo

We did our case swap again at work. I was really impressed with the following:

North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
    Terrapin Hopsecutioner India Pale Ale

The imperial stout was very thick and had all kinds of great flavors going on.

The Hopsecutioner IPA was just a good straight up IPA with a lot of grapefruit and floral hop flavors.

Will
    I was just reading some reviews about Old Rasputin. I'll have to give it a try.
    This weekend I've been drinking Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA. At 7.2% ABV and $7.50 for a sixer it's a great value. It's not nearly as bitter as I expected it to be.

I'm a hop head and also enjoy Sierra Nevada's Torpedo.

Tonight I had some Bridgeport Hop Czar...It was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRichLife View Post
    I'm a hop head and also enjoy Sierra Nevada's Torpedo.

Tonight I had some Bridgeport Hop Czar...It was excellent.
    Hop Czar is my absolute favorite IPA. One hell of a kick but the hop bite is smooth. I can only find it at Costco and not all the time. I buy a couple or three cases when I see it

Quote Originally Posted by Cigarbear View Post
    Hop Czar is my absolute favorite IPA. One hell of a kick but the hop bite is smooth. I can only find it at Costco and not all the time. I buy a couple or three cases when I see it
    I wish my Costco carried it.. occasionally we get Stone IPA, but they always have SNPA.

Mine varies wildly. The only consistant resident of the beer isle is their Kirkland brand sampler packs. They aren't bad for ~$18 a case but I'm a beer snob

Thread Information