Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer Thread

Default finally a californian ale with just enough hops ( not too much)

arrogant bastard ale...it's now my fave bottled local beer, most cali brewers seem to think the more hops the better; as a long time english ale drinker (CAMRA member sinve 1982) i know better.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gben-chalice View Post
    arrogant bastard ale...it's now my fave bottled local beer, most cali brewers seem to think the more hops the better; as a long time english ale drinker (CAMRA member sinve 1982) i know better.
    Will you please use your "Shift" key when you post here? Most of the regular members here appreciate people who make intelligent and coherent posts. You're not one of them so please clean up your act.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

This beer has been around forever, and I like it. I got to visit the brewery in northern San Diego a few years back and was impressed with their in-house selection - we're heading back down that way soon to see family and I think it's time for a revisit.

If you liked Arrogant Bastard, you should try her cousins, Double Bastard and Lucky Bastard. I've really enjoyed the Double Bastards, but haven't yet tried the Lucky Bastards yet. I'm not a fan of any of their "Oaked" series - they aren't bad, but I'm not buying the hype. They put out a few annual releases each year as well. I personally feel that the amount of hops normally added to west-coast beers in general are too high. I agree with your assertion that they think 'the more hops the better', but in my opinion, it ends up getting in the way. I also think, that the alcohol percentage is too high as well. Which I find curious: the higher-alcohol content requires more work, money and time.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Had my annual drink-beer weekend ... and had ...

Corona light .

(It isn't like there are any other 100 calorie / 5 g carbs beers that I can stand )
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Blog Entries

Stoudts ~ Double IPA

Got a case last week, and not regretting it.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    I agree with your assertion that they think 'the more hops the better', but in my opinion, it ends up getting in the way. I also think, that the alcohol percentage is too high as well. Which I find curious: the higher-alcohol content requires more work, money and time.
    Interesting thoughts. I agree somewhat, the hop contest is sometimes excessive but considering how fast hops taper in beer, if you don't like something that's too hoped simply sit on it and some of the issue will naturally be mitigated.

The high alcohol is also sometimes challenging to say the least, but in defense, higher octane ales typically stand up better to time. I don't know if it's a Cali thing but my consumption of ales that have seen at least 3 years cellar time has increased dramatically. At the same time, I drink far fewer/less often.

any of you guys been lucky enough to try Cigar City's stuff? Brewery's about 2 hours from here and I have to get a hotel every time I go.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

We just celebrated our annual Leo Bash. Spent the evening enjoying Hollywood Blonde and a nice English Mild by the pool.
    Wild

On Tap -

1. Red IPA
    2. Extreme Red

Secondary - Mesquite Bourbon Mead

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind." - Humphrey Bogart

Thumbs down Jeez what is it with covcat ant Capital Letters And Punktuation?

Look mate, I hear you....but lets face facts: your spelling and puctuation may be supierior, but your attitude and manners leave a LOT to be desired...the content of my posts does NOT reflect your invective, so, PISS OFF!

Look mate, I hear you....but lets face facts: your spelling and puctuation may be supierior, but your attitude and manners leave a LOT to be desired...the content of my posts does NOT reflect your invective, so, PISS OFF!
    If you've legitimately been a CAMRA member since 1982 - you should know better...

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

Speaking of beer, I have an Irish stout brewing at this time. My five gallon batch should be done by Friday or Saturday. I used a kit which included 2 types of grains, dark malt extract, 2 bags of dry malt, corn sugar, and two different types of hops. It will be interesting to see how close to Guinness it would taste like, but I am not expecting that. I am sure it will be good. Specific gravity showed that the alcohol content should be around 5.8-6% by volume. I will be force carbonating it in a Cornelius keg. Looking forward to it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0903111902.jpg 
Views:	979 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	2710
    Last edited by Roger; 09-06-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    Just another day at the office!

Blog Entries

By the way this is the fourth time I have made beer. I had only one total failure because I tried my own recipe... but this one should turn out decent.

Blog Entries

Looking good Roger, your batch will likely taste better than Guinness.

So what day/time should Mark and I show up for dinner to help you with that batch?
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    Looking good Roger, your batch will likely taste better than Guinness.

So what day/time should Mark and I show up for dinner to help you with that batch?
    You and Mark would be welcome to come. This Sunday night at Seven pm. Ahem... as long as you don't mind the company of 5-6 other Pastors.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    You and Mark would be welcome to come. This Sunday night at Seven pm. Ahem... as long as you don't mind the company of 5-6 other Pastors.
    Sweet, hey Mark, can you pick me up on your way over to Roger's? I'll chip in $20 for gas.
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    Sweet, hey Mark, can you pick me up on your way over to Roger's? I'll chip in $20 for gas.
    No trouble at all. You don't mind sharing the back seat with an 18-month old, do you? She usually only needs her diapers changed about a dozen times a day now - you'll be fine.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Well, the fermentation on my beer is on the down slope before I know it I will have it in the keg and carbonated. I haven't tried any yet... but when I do I will certainly share my thoughts. Looks good so far!

Default Somersault by New Belgium

Having just started enjoying cigars, but having enjoyed beer before I should have, I had my tastes in one area standing strong while the other has me feeling like I have two left feet. Tonight I decided to visit a few watering holes and enjoy the cool air. I made it to the (supposedly) Irish pub and decided to have the Somersault on their back deck while having a Rhapsody by Jose Dominguez. Both are fairly mild in their own respects and I felt amazingly relaxed. The beer is amazing from a tap with a smooth finish, and though I know it has been said in this thread I will warn those again that this beer might be a tad too 'citrusy' for those with stout tastes (no pun intended).

Good Drinking and Smoking

Kwiatek

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bkwiatek View Post
    Having just started enjoying cigars, but having enjoyed beer before I should have, I had my tastes in one area standing strong while the other has me feeling like I have two left feet. Tonight I decided to visit a few watering holes and enjoy the cool air. I made it to the (supposedly) Irish pub and decided to have the Somersault on their back deck while having a Rhapsody by Jose Dominguez. Both are fairly mild in their own respects and I felt amazingly relaxed. The beer is amazing from a tap with a smooth finish, and though I know it has been said in this thread I will warn those again that this beer might be a tad too 'citrusy' for those with stout tastes (no pun intended).

Good Drinking and Smoking

Kwiatek
    Welcome to the board. What size rhapsody?

Blog Entries

I had an uncarbonated sample of the Irish Stout brew last night. I must say I was very happy with the sample. It will be a bit more telling after I cool it and carbonate it. Very Nice!

Thread Information