Thread: New laws making it easier to smoke cigars?

Default New laws making it easier to smoke cigars?

The new laws around here state that smoking areas need to be completely separate from the non-smoking areas. This means most places are segregating the bar from the rest of the establishment. I've also noticed that most of these segregated areas now allow cigar/pipe smoking! It used to be that most places wouldn't allow this at all. They didn't want the stronger smelling smoke drifting into the non-smoking area. The complete seperation of the smoking area seems to alleviate these concerns! I'm excited! I can now enjoy hot wings, a game, micro-brew/imported beer, and a fine cigar all in one sitting! Life is good!
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
    The new laws around here state that smoking areas need to be completely separate from the non-smoking areas. This means most places are segregating the bar from the rest of the establishment. I've also noticed that most of these segregated areas now allow cigar/pipe smoking! It used to be that most places wouldn't allow this at all. They didn't want the stronger smelling smoke drifting into the non-smoking area. The complete seperation of the smoking area seems to alleviate these concerns! I'm excited! I can now enjoy hot wings, a game, micro-brew/imported beer, and a fine cigar all in one sitting! Life is good!
    What?!?! Wow, thats sweet. Any way you could export this to Maryland?
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Cabaiguan Juan View Post
    What?!?! Wow, thats sweet. Any way you could export this to Maryland?
    Just take a 20 minute drive down to DC. IIRC there are still numerous cigar bars and cigar-friendly restaurants. I was going to have dinner at one before I left, but I never got the chance.

Don't make bets on how long it will last though. The anti-smoking movement is relentless and will stop at nothing short of making tobacco use illegal everywhere.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
    Don't make bets on how long it will last though. The anti-smoking movement is relentless and will stop at nothing short of making tobacco use illegal everywhere.
    I'm glad you said it. I didn't want to throw water on your fire, but that's exactly what happened here in Colorado. Lots of bars, restaurants,bowling alleys, etc sunk a lot of money into remodeling that built segregated rooms for smoking. A year later the anti-smoking crowd got smoking totally banned in almost all of these establishments. Their argument was that non smoking employees shouldn't be exposed to second hand smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    I'm glad you said it. I didn't want to throw water on your fire, but that's exactly what happened here in Colorado. Lots of bars, restaurants,bowling alleys, etc sunk a lot of money into remodeling that built segregated rooms for smoking. A year later the anti-smoking crowd got smoking totally banned in almost all of these establishments. Their argument was that non smoking employees shouldn't be exposed to second hand smoke.

VERY unfair to the businesses, destroying their investment like that. I think perhaps if smoke is that bad, it should be treated like any other on-the-job airborne particulate hazard. Simply make filter masks available to those employees that want to wear them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    [on soap box]
    IMHO:
    What a crock-a-shit. You see this argument all the time. Its as if its a persons right to be hired when they apply for a job...anywhere. If I couldn't find enough employees that smoked to run a bar/lounge.....and if 100% of my staff smoked it would basically make the work environment irrelevant.....I must not be looking too hard. Companies can discriminate against prospective employees for the fact that they DO smoke....so they should also be able to discriminate for the fact that they DON'T smoke.

Its all about business owners rights, not health concerns, as I know you can find other posts on here about.
    [off soap box]

Thread Information