Thread: problems with my new humidor

Default problems with my new humidor

Hey guys,
    I have a 100ct Humi that i just got a few days ago, i did teh seasoning as directed and i cant seem to get the humidity to stay at 70 it keeps dropping down to 65... and i noticed just now that my humidifier has wat looks like white mold growing on it (so i took it out)

HELP!!! WAT DO I DO!?
    Bessie Braddock: Mr Churchill, you are drunk.
    Winston Churchill: And you madam, are ugly. But I shall be sober tomorrow.

Get some beads.

how long can i leave beads? without checking htem?

Depends on the seal of your humi. But in my experience you can leave beads for a lot longer than those foam deals. Plus beads regulate humidity to a specific level instead of you having to mess around with how wet to get the foam. For my cooler, every couple of weeks I spray down the beads and everything is fine.

spiffy

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBirde View Post
    Hey guys,
    I have a 100ct Humi that i just got a few days ago, i did teh seasoning as directed and i cant seem to get the humidity to stay at 70 it keeps dropping down to 65... and i noticed just now that my humidifier has wat looks like white mold growing on it (so i took it out)

HELP!!! WAT DO I DO!?
    Don't trust an analog hygrometer unless you've first adjusted it. I understand that a common method is to wrap the hygrometer in a warm/damp hand towel for 15 minutes. It should read 90-95%. If not, adjust it to about 93%.

I agree with Spiffy, that if you use beads or at least a good solution to keep it stable then you shouldn't have a problem.

Also, if you're not using distilled water in your humidifier it will build up a white calcium scale as the water evaporates.

i am using a solution, and i have a digital hydrometer

Screw the solution. Use distilled water, get beads, and get a hygrometer calibration kit(like $3-4). Also if you are using an analog hygro those are worthless. You need to get a digital.

Blog Entries

I agree with the digital hygrometer....they are pretty inexpensive and more reliable.

Beads require less maintenance overall, and only distilled water.......but you can maintain good rh with oasis foam and solution if your humi has a good seal, and you are willing to devote the time to it and watch it closely. A proper solution should provide protection from bacterial growth and mold, so I'm at a bit of a loss there......unless like Deedbubya said its calcium build up....which shouldn't happen with solution.

Blog Entries

I, too, tried all kinds of methods and finally settled on beads and digital hygros. It's interesting how we all run into the same little issues when we start out. There is a ton of good information and discussion on this board. Search = Good. ... I'm just sayin'...

Thread Information