Thread: Cigar ratings etc

Question Cigar ratings etc

nOOb alert

Having fallen into the "Never seen a sampler I could resist" camp I find myself awash in "alleged" quality sticks. Frankly, it appears I could exist for an interminable time simply by falling for the daily "deals" and the last chance offers at check-out.... Currently frantically looking for an ice chest to store the recent "deals", should be able to make a down-payment ton a yacht with all the money I've saved ...

Ratings appear to be highly weighted toward the mechanics: appearance, construction, lighting, burning, draw. Frankly, it seems appearance and construction are only important wrt the delivery of the smoke (draw, volume,density) I definitely agree that a good draw and even burning is a necessary condition for an enjoyable smoke, and a deficiency in that area is destined for the trash immediately.

OK - given a pleasant draw, i.e smoke delivery system. What now? Smoke does not appear to fire my taste buds (no chocolate, onion and strawberry with hints of rotting Brussels sprouts ... perhaps a good thing, now that I think about it ) I will occasionally detect a hotter (spicier?) effect toward the end, likely because of concentration of tars & nicotine? Mild, medium, bold have no reference point for me and web descriptions don't seem to help.

Any suggestions how to proceed? Perhaps I need to switch to Roy-Tans instead of arranging financing for a Gurkha's His Majesties Reserve?

Cheers,

Rusty

Cleanse the palate! Many prefer a swig of good brandy. Personally I like a shot of Patron or Tres Amigos.
    What you eat or drink before a smoke can drastically change the flavors and scents. Some foods and drinks "wake up" your taste buds.
    Also, I always eat or drink something before a smoke. Rarely does a cigar taste really good when I'm hungry. But then thats just me. I think a good order of indulgence would be: Sex, drink, food, cigar.
    Last edited by DeeDubya; 12-07-2007 at 08:26 AM.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    Cleanse the palate! Many prefer a swig of good brandy. Personally I like a shot of Padron or Tres Amigos.
    What you eat or drink before a smoke can drastically change the flavors and scents. Some foods and drinks "wake up" your taste buds.
    Also, I always eat or drink something before a smoke. Rarely does a cigar taste really good when I'm hungry. But then thats just me. I think a good order of indulgence would be: Sex, drink, food, cigar.
    Agree. I prefer a nice scotch with my cigar, usually Johnnie Walker
    If you don't want to drink alcohol you could always drink water, helps clean the palate without changing the flavors of your mouth.
    Another good order would be: drink, sex, food, drink, cigar.
    Last edited by OLBG464; 12-06-2007 at 02:36 PM.

I would definitely take any review of a cigar from most of the major online cigar shops with a grain of salt, if you believe everything they say about the cigars you'd think each was rolled personally by Jesus in heaven. I've found most new cigars I like through word of mouth... most times when someone here suggested a cigar as being good it has been.

The topic of the way a cigar tastes is a pretty hot one, so you'll likely get different responses from different people.

My opinion is that 90-95% of a cigar tastes like tobacco, and in the rest you'll get subtle hints of other flavors like leather, chocolate, coffee, cream, grass (the kind you cut, not smoke), nuts, etc. But most of those flavors are very subtle and require time to discriminate. Certain cigars have distinct tastes to me (punch as being peppery/spicy for example), but they've only gotten that way after I've smoked a lot. Some cigars I smoke and don't get anything. In short, you're not missing anything if you don't pick up the tastes. There are a lot more people who have smoked a lot more than me who think the whole flavor/taste think is a load of crap.

Blowing some smoke through your nose can help to pick up flavors, but I smoke to relax and enjoy the cigar so that's not really the thing for me. If you're really interested in picking up some of these flavors you could try that. Doing some searches on the forum could help too, as the topic has been discussed before.

Blog Entries

http://www.cigarsmokers.com/t6276-hi...r-palette.html
    this is a good thread with some good discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by OLBG464 View Post
    Agree. I prefer a nice scotch with my cigar, usually Johnnie Walker
    If you don't want to drink alcohol you could always drink water, helps clean the palate without changing the flavors of your mouth.
    Another good order would be: drink, sex, food, drink, cigar.
    OK, I see the problem - shirking my whoring responsibilities Unfortunately, my better 2/3rd has put the kibosh on that and if sex is a prerequisite to smoking a cigar I have WAY too many cigars already!

No problem with a bit of scootch though.

Perhaps I can divide my confusion into two areas: strength and flavor. They are, of course coupled, however, I have little to no idea about the strength. Perhaps I need to find a representative of (very) mild and (very) strong to attempt some sort of calibration? Suggestions would be helpful and welcome.

So many things effect one's enjoyment of a cigar it may be difficult: had a 5 Vegas Gold huddled on the deck and found it basically unpleasant (only taste on back roof of mouth?), had a 5 Vegas Classic while mucking the horses and found it delightful - slight taste of processed grass?

At any rate, thanks for the replies, the link to palate was quite useful, can provide all the "processed grass" for you wine glasses you would like

Cheers to all,

Rusty

p.s. just won my first cbid ... let the trouble begin...

Quote Originally Posted by ralford View Post
    OK, I see the problem - shirking my whoring responsibilities Unfortunately, my better 2/3rd has put the kibosh on that and if sex is a prerequisite to smoking a cigar I have WAY too many cigars already!

No problem with a bit of scootch though.

Perhaps I can divide my confusion into two areas: strength and flavor. They are, of course coupled, however, I have little to no idea about the strength. Perhaps I need to find a representative of (very) mild and (very) strong to attempt some sort of calibration? Suggestions would be helpful and welcome.

So many things effect one's enjoyment of a cigar it may be difficult: had a 5 Vegas Gold huddled on the deck and found it basically unpleasant (only taste on back roof of mouth?), had a 5 Vegas Classic while mucking the horses and found it delightful - slight taste of processed grass?

At any rate, thanks for the replies, the link to palate was quite useful, can provide all the "processed grass" for you wine glasses you would like

Cheers to all,

Rusty

p.s. just won my first cbid ... let the trouble begin...

I smoked several 5 Vegas when I first started, and now, well, bleh, I won't touch them. They are the private label of Cigars International and I think they overhype them. They are just boring plain cigars to me.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

I almost always have something to drink with my cigar. My usual is a glass of Bourbon or Scotch, but sometimes I have a Mt. Dew. There is a thread on here somewhere just about drinking soda with your cigar.

I don't normally pay attention to ratings. These are given by people who (hopefully) have way more experience than me. I put more stake in word of mouth from friends and the BOTLs here.

Honestly, if someone puts hints of leather and nuts in a review, it doesn't sway my desire to try that stick. If they say, "This cigar was so awesome I nubbed it. You have to try one!" then I'll probably go for it.

As far as your experience with the 5 Vegas, I am the same way. I enjoy all of the 5 Vegas offerings except for the Gold.

spiffy

Quote Originally Posted by ralford View Post
    nOOb alert

Having fallen into the "Never seen a sampler I could resist" camp I find myself awash in "alleged" quality sticks. Frankly, it appears I could exist for an interminable time simply by falling for the daily "deals" and the last chance offers at check-out.... Currently frantically looking for an ice chest to store the recent "deals", should be able to make a down-payment ton a yacht with all the money I've saved ...

Ratings appear to be highly weighted toward the mechanics: appearance, construction, lighting, burning, draw. Frankly, it seems appearance and construction are only important wrt the delivery of the smoke (draw, volume,density) I definitely agree that a good draw and even burning is a necessary condition for an enjoyable smoke, and a deficiency in that area is destined for the trash immediately.

OK - given a pleasant draw, i.e smoke delivery system. What now? Smoke does not appear to fire my taste buds (no chocolate, onion and strawberry with hints of rotting Brussels sprouts ... perhaps a good thing, now that I think about it ) I will occasionally detect a hotter (spicier?) effect toward the end, likely because of concentration of tars & nicotine? Mild, medium, bold have no reference point for me and web descriptions don't seem to help.

Any suggestions how to proceed? Perhaps I need to switch to Roy-Tans instead of arranging financing for a Gurkha's His Majesties Reserve?

Cheers,

Rusty
    I don't grade based on construction or appearance, if the cigar has a bad draw I won't give it a review becase the bad draw detracts from the cigar experience. Generally if I grade the cigar 90 or better, an A, it is a cigar that I really like and would smoke again. A B grade is not that good in my opinion, but wouldn't talk much bad about it. 95 is top of the line, A+ is reserved for out of body experiences. I wouldn't rate a cigar line so low based on one plugged cigar when the other 24 from the box are smoking excellent. Anyways, when I review, I just try to be unbiased and present as I perceived, such as the character and flavor profile of the cigar, and how it changes. You won't be able to discern flavors unless you bring the smoke into your nasal cavity by exhaling through your nose. Some of the cheaper cigars will be harsh and exhaling nasally will burn, but at the same time those cheaper cigars are generally not as complex so you're not missing much...Good practice developing a pallate though. Strength like in mild, medium, and full body are generally descriptive terms regarding the power of a cigar, not necessarily the tar or heat. Mild is just that, mild, while a fuller bodied cigar can make your nose tickle and eyes water.
    Last edited by cls515; 12-07-2007 at 04:43 PM.

10. Default

I don't put much stock into ratings in cigar mags and the like. Ratings are only something used by the makers of cigars to hype them...It's just an add.

Independant reviews like we get here make me want to buy a cigar or not. No $$ are involved so I tend to put my faith there. The only rating that makes any difference is the one you give after you are finished.

To buy again....Or not to buy again...That is the question. Only you can answer that one.

I totally agree.

I will check top25cigar.com occasionally. I can't put much stock in magazine reviews since they are also receiving advertising dollars from the companies in thier reviews. And internet cigar companies are ten times worse. Just had a 5 Vegas Series A. I really like the apostle and the anomolly. Have smoked many of both and they are my go to $2 stick all day. They must be OK since prices have risen along the way on C-bid. Coffee and espresso drinks go well with cigars too.

Thanks for all the good comments and suggestions. I find something very elegant in the property "a cigar I would buy again" - that is probably what it is all about???

I have had the opportunity recently to smoke several Rocky Patel's (Edge, Sun Grown, and Indios - understand it also derived by RP) Not only will I buy again but I have

Cheers to all and happy holidays (or merry xmas if HH bothers you)

Rusty

if alcohol or money is a problem, i love a coke with my cigars. particulary if the cigar is really thick or strong. i don't know what it is about coke, but it somehow make the cigar taste better.
    Mark 8:36

Thread Information