Thread: Plugged lighter

Default Plugged lighter

I have committed the most grievous sins in the utilization of a quality lighter. I have a Lotus (actually 2 of ‘em). Several weeks ago I was out of town and purchased a sub-quality fuel, Rosignol. The lighter immediately began to show indications of pluggage and has now settled into a functional mode of a minimal fluctuating flame or a complete flameout due to insufficient pressure. Is there anything that can be done short of returning the lighter to the manufacturer?

JC
    Badges? We don't need no stinking badges.

try emptying the fuel in there now by pressing a small screwdriver or something where you fill the butane. Then replace the butane with a triple refined fuel, that should bring it back to normal. (If not I don't think there's much you can do after that).

Good idea. Let us know how it works.

i had the same problem with a colibri (in my ingornance ithought it wouldnt make a difference) but it did, soo, i did the dreaded unmanly thing to do and read the directions, went out, bought a bottle of colibris gas, and filled the sucker up, and now it works flawless
    Bessie Braddock: Mr Churchill, you are drunk.
    Winston Churchill: And you madam, are ugly. But I shall be sober tomorrow.

5. Default

Most of that how many times it is refined is in your head I use cheap ronson butane in my Colibri and cheap lighters. I light and re light 5 or more cigars a day.

Do you really think Colibri or Lava or any other fuel seller actually refines butane?
    The older I get ,the better I was

i dunno...im just saying, i had a problem, with what im assuming was the butane, and i followed the instructions multiple times on refilling procedures...and the damn thing just wouldnt stay lit...than i switched over to the colibri fuel and all of a sudden it started working flawlessly...

im really not an authority on this.... im just sayin wat worked for me

BTW i was using ronson fuel before
    Bessie Braddock: Mr Churchill, you are drunk.
    Winston Churchill: And you madam, are ugly. But I shall be sober tomorrow.

I have first hand seen more than 1 lighter go from non working to fully functional with the addition of quality butane.

Ronson being the culprit of many clogged lighters. I know one trick for badly clogged colibris is to take a VERY fine syringe needle(attached to syringe) filled with ZIPPO fluid. Light it and it normally will burn off the clog. I have not tried this before but it has been rumored to work. I only use good fuel in my lighters.

Blog Entries

I avoid the whole issue and use a bic most of the time. In all but the worst wind it works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    I avoid the whole issue and use a bic most of the time. In all but the worst wind it works just fine.
    I have a copper Zippo I'll admit I use regularly as well.

10. Default

Gentlemen, The truly 'smart' guys read instructions first, the butanes recommended by
    a manufacturer truly are more refined. General rule of them should always be "If your
    investing in a quality purchase, always protect your investment with the appropriate
    recommendations".

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    Most of that how many times it is refined is in your head I use cheap ronson butane in my Colibri and cheap lighters. I light and re light 5 or more cigars a day.

Do you really think Colibri or Lava or any other fuel seller actually refines butane?
    http://lavabutane.com/about_torches.asp

Blog Entries

wow.... that's kinda pricy

I just started using a Colibri torch lighter, and the cheap ronson fuel I had around the house has already started to decrease performance after two refills. (it came already fueled).

I have a 2-pk of Colibri fuel coming from Cigars Int., we'll see how much of an improvement I get in a couple days. Lighter has fired every single time I pressed the button, but flame size is dropping each refill.

I may give that Lava stuff a try next time.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

13. Default

I bet you guys put 93 octane in your Kia's and Hyundais too.

C4H10 is butane

I bet you guys put 93 octane in your Kia's and Hyundais too.

C4H10 is butane

C4H10 is butane, but when it is refined, it is never 100% pure. There is always contaminants in it. The amount of contaminants varies from brand to brand.

There is an allowable contaminant (H2S, H20, CO2, etc) amount when natural gas is processed.

Edit: and I do put 93 octane in my Neon...needs it though when I am pushing 20+psi.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

15. Default

Yeah I've seen what a Neon like your model does. I got spanked by one once ,looks like a blast and a half.

I hope my Ronson Fueled Colibri doesnt read the board and decide to go on strike.

Yeah I've seen what a Neon like your model does. I got spanked by one once ,looks like a blast and a half.

I hope my Ronson Fueled Colibri doesnt read the board and decide to go on strike.

I am sure that behind all of the marketing BS, fluid is just fluid.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Thread Information