Thread: beads and more beads

1. Unhappy beads and more beads

Am i missing something here? So i decided to take the plunge and order the beads you all raved about along with a digital hygrometer from heartfelt industries. Now my humidor is a 3 level that holds 75 cigars. It measures 13x11x23" respectively. When i did the calculations it is telling me that is 3289 cu inches which according to the calculations is approx 7 ounces which would be around 1.9 cubic feet...is that right....I am assuming a 1/2 lb of beads should cover this as a 1/2 lb of beads covers 5 cubic feet. Am i crazy for thinking this or do i need more beeds...I am either going to have a bead supply forever because i ordered to damn many or not enough beads....any ideas would help me tremendously.......Thanks.....
    I am begining to think i am a failure...................................Onenutty nurse

I have a 10 qt coolidor that stays at a near perfect 65% with 1 oz of beads. Inside measurements are roughly 7X9X10. So with you humi being a little more than twice the size as mine I would think that 1/2 pound of beads would be more than enough.
    "If your wife doesn't like the aroma of your cigar - change your wife."
    Zino Davidoff

Now that I know what they are:
    +1 Termite
    +1 Raisin

You measured the inside of the humidor right? If you just measured the outside, the actual cu. in. will be less.

Either way, there is no such thing as too many beads. From the looks of it, you ordered just enough.
    Last edited by Mizicke5273; 01-13-2008 at 03:58 PM.

Extra beads is never a bad thing. You can use small amounts when you gift cigars to friends who don't have humidors (a small tupperware+beads=instant humidor). If you ever end up involved in a pass or want to start one, extra beads makes things go swimmingly. If you're ever hungry and want to swallow some silica like substance and go to the hospital, extra beads are the way to go
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Yeah, it's not bad to have too much beads. Having more beads is just extra protection. PLUS, if you open and close your humidor a lot, extra beads help regulate and maintain the humidity. I always have a one pound supply sitting around just in case. When I start using that, I'll probably buy another pound to replace it.

Andrew

A humi that size will hold more like 175 cigars instead of 75. You can put a couple boxes in the bottom and still have the trays for loose sticks. I have one called the Royal Humidor. It actually measures a little smaller than yours and holds 175. I use 1/2lb of 70% beads.
    Good luck, that should work.

Thread Information