Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The cigars to stay away from

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
    I'll stick to Roly Torp's for yard gars and fishing. The last Churchill Deluxe I had sealed the deal. I was sitting there thinking, "I think I'd rather be smoking a Te-Amo! Did they age this in someones colon?", when, almost two full inches below the the burning end, my finger gets a mild burn. As I stare in amazement, a hole finishes burning through the top of the cigar where my finger was. That was it for me!

Maybe I just got a bad stick, but something that bad turns you off forever.
    What's a Roly Torp?
    Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
    -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by King Catfish View Post
    What's a Roly Torp?
    "Roly's" are Puros Indios Seconds, made by Rolando Reyes (Thus the name). "Torp" is just my cruddy abbreviation for the Torpedo shape. IMO, it's one of the best "Cheap Cigars" you can buy. If you wait for sales, you can find the big ones for a buck apeice. They can be rolled a bit loose and a bit rough, and you won't impress any afficionados with them, but they're big, long filler cigars great for fishing, yard gars, etc. They also have a pleasant, almost aromatic smell.

If you're currently smoking the likes of Phillies, White Owls, Swishers, Te-Amo, etc. , I recommend giving them a try! You may have a replacement!

If you need, send me a PM and I'll send you a couple.
    Last edited by Kenyth; 04-04-2008 at 09:43 AM.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

"Roly's" are Puros Indios Seconds, made by Rolando Reyes (Thus the name). "Torp" is just my cruddy abbreviation for the Torpedo shape. IMO, it's one of the best "Cheap Cigars" you can buy. If you wait for sales, you can find the big ones for a buck apeice. They can be rolled a bit loose and a bit rough, and you won't impress any afficionados with them, but they're big, long filler cigars great for fishing, yard gars, etc. They also have a pleasant, almost aromatic smell.

If you're currently smoking the likes of Phillies, White Owls, Swishers, Te-Amo, etc. , I recommend giving them a try! You may have a replacement!

If you need, send me a PM and I'll send you a couple.
    Thanks for the info. I will give them a try. No need to send (but thanks very much for the generous offer); I will get to them soon enough.

I have never had Phillies or White Owls or those other drugstore cigars. The only cheapies I have ever tried have been Churchill Deluxe. I have some Manolo Factory Overruns on the way; hopefullyu they will be OK. I will put Rolys on the list.

I used to smoke seldomly enough that I could stay with the premiums, but now that I am smoking more I need to gather some intel on good cheap smokes.
    Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
    -Winston Churchill

Blog Entries

In my eternal quest to find cigars that I enjoy, I smoked a VS Legacy Double Maduro somebody gave me. Holy crap. I really did not enjoy it at all.

The funny thing is, I was trying to decide between that and a Roly Torp. I see I've made the wrong decision again.

Good gosh, after last night's debacle, I'm thinking of smoking less often to be able to afford the only the primo cigars.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Well, I tried the Manolo Factory Overruns, and I would not recommend them. Weak taste, poor construction.

I also got some Roly Torpedos, and love them. For the price they are great cheapies.
    -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by King Catfish View Post
    Well, I tried the Manolo Factory Overruns, and I would not recommend them. Weak taste, poor construction.

I also got some Roly Torpedos, and love them. For the price they are great cheapies.

Good deal! Glad you like them. Like I said, you'll have a hard time finding a better cigar at the same price. Other decent cheaper cigars are the Cuban Crafters Don Kiki line. I prefer either the Green label Torpedo, or the Brown label Figurado. The Red labels taste almost exactly like the Green to me, only a bit more bitter. You can get them for less than $40 bucks a box/bundle.

The Salazar Bros. smokes they sell are quite good, but far from cheap. The flavor profiles of the ones I smoked were similar to some ISOM sticks I've had. Box pressed, they were smooth and mild bodied, with rich copious smoke, and an unusually strong nicotene kick. These sticks were a couple years back though, and cigars change with every batch. As with all opinions, YMMV.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

Good deal! Glad you like them. Like I said, you'll have a hard time finding a better cigar at the same price. Other decent cheaper cigars are the Cuban Crafters Don Kiki line. I prefer either the Green label Torpedo, or the Brown label Figurado. The Red labels taste almost exactly like the Green to me, only a bit more bitter. You can get them for less than $40 bucks a box/bundle.
    Yes, I will be trying the Don Kiki Figurados at some point. Looks like an interesting cheap smoke.
    -Winston Churchill

Stay away from any cigars I want in the Cigar Draft V.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Grinch View Post

DG
    LMFAO, what since dustinpollock pulled out and the prince albert is gone, you care?

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    LMFAO, what since dustinpollock pulled out and the prince albert is gone, you care?

Yep! Some of those listed so far have my interest. 1 advantage I have is that I get to see all the cigars before putting my list together.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Blog Entries

Yep! Some of those listed so far have my interest. 1 advantage I have is that I get to see all the cigars before putting my list together.

DG
    Oh, crap!! Careful with the emotional component.....

DG

And if I eyeball 'em, what're you gonna do about it?

Figured I would resurrect this thread...

Smoked a Kuba Deluxe from Acid today, against my better knowledge. Should say I smoked about a third of one, really... I was drinking really sweet tea with my dinner while I was at the B&M and had a bunch of tea left, so I wanted to get a cigar that would go along with it, and Kuba popped in my head... Bad idea. Really. Bad. Idea.

First off, the cigar was ~10$ at my B&M, not sure how that compares to other prices, but for 10$ I expected delicious, sweet tobacco. I got a sugar stick that lost all flavor after about twenty minutes. I couldn't even taste the sweetness, the tobacco, anything. It lighted well enough (after I had watched a pompous lawyer seemingly ruin a zino platinum... shoved the head right into a torch flavor and just puffed away until the whole head was glowing red hot. Wanted to hurt him ) although after the light there was very little smoke. Had an easy draw, but it just never produced a whole lot of smoke, and what it did produce wasn't worth smoking--much less 10$.

it was just... awful. I think this will be my one and only venture into the Acid line.

I've enjoyed a couple of the CAO flavours, though. Specifically, Eileen's Dream and Moontrance. I was a bit let down by the Bella Vanilla, although I smoked it rather quickly. It seemed as if most of the taste was on the wrapper and you would only really taste vanilla by licking your lips after they had been on the wrapper. Eileen's Dream and Moontrance have both been tasty on the lips and had plenty of tasty smoke, so I would go to those if I was to go back to flavored cigars.

Sorry I ever doubted the masters

Quote Originally Posted by Alcibiates View Post
    Figured I would resurrect this thread...

Smoked a Kuba Deluxe from Acid today, against my better knowledge. Should say I smoked about a third of one, really... I was drinking really sweet tea with my dinner while I was at the B&M and had a bunch of tea left, so I wanted to get a cigar that would go along with it, and Kuba popped in my head... Bad idea. Really. Bad. Idea.

First off, the cigar was ~10$ at my B&M, not sure how that compares to other prices, but for 10$ I expected delicious, sweet tobacco. I got a sugar stick that lost all flavor after about twenty minutes. I couldn't even taste the sweetness, the tobacco, anything. It lighted well enough (after I had watched a pompous lawyer seemingly ruin a zino platinum... shoved the head right into a torch flavor and just puffed away until the whole head was glowing red hot. Wanted to hurt him ) although after the light there was very little smoke. Had an easy draw, but it just never produced a whole lot of smoke, and what it did produce wasn't worth smoking--much less 10$.

it was just... awful. I think this will be my one and only venture into the Acid line.

I've enjoyed a couple of the CAO flavours, though. Specifically, Eileen's Dream and Moontrance. I was a bit let down by the Bella Vanilla, although I smoked it rather quickly. It seemed as if most of the taste was on the wrapper and you would only really taste vanilla by licking your lips after they had been on the wrapper. Eileen's Dream and Moontrance have both been tasty on the lips and had plenty of tasty smoke, so I would go to those if I was to go back to flavored cigars.

Sorry I ever doubted the masters
    Yep. The same with the Acid Blondie.
    3/4 of the Earth's surface is water and 1/4 is land. Clearly god wants me to fish, not mow the lawn.

the latest non cuban bolivar comes to mind. I think the wrapper is make of some sort of imitation tobacco.

Also, and I've never tried one, but I know they are pretty bad.

IGUANAS
    www.prohumidors.com - Premium Humidors and Cigar accessories.

16. Default Drew Estate

Not very impressed with the Drew Estate line of flavored cigars. But I did receive a free sample from CI. A Natural Dirt, that I can actually say was OK.

I'll address the OP question of overpriced cigars - Cohiba Black and Diamond Crown Maximus. The new H. Uppman Reserve Maduro was a huge letdown as well...

AVO's 80th anni... brutal.... And I had a box.... brutal.... I still have a few in my humi. Maybe one day they will taste good again....?
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Blog Entries

Onyx Reserve Torbusto. Bad construction. Bad flavor. Bad price.

JLPs...some guys like em but I can't stand them.
    www.prohumidors.com - Premium Humidors and Cigar accessories.

Thread Information