Thread: Castro steps down

Default Castro steps down

Cuba on the road to Democracy? Embargo lifted? Cuban cigars just around the corner? I can't imagine his brother would have radically different views. Interesting times ahead for our oppressed neighbors.

Blog Entries

can you imagine how that would impact the non-Cuban cigar market, if the embargo were to be lifted?
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    can you imagine how that would impact the non-Cuban cigar market, if the embargo were to be lifted?
    I was wondering the exact same thing. Entire families that moved and started up a new business in Honduras, Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, etc. had just as soon see the embargo remain in place. JMO

nothing is going to change.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    nothing is going to change.
    I have to agree, not in the near term anyway.

It would be a nightmare for CC smokers if the embargo was lifted. There would be a catastrophic legal battle between CC manufacturers and their counterparts in General Cigar, quality would go down the shitter, Cuban tobacco would be used in non-puro cigars, etc.

Blog Entries

Unfortunately, the Cuban Government has done a pretty good job with the transition process. This has been in the works since Fidel got sick in 2006. I don’t think change is eminent at all. This is all part of the master plan to keep the people in Cuba at peace. The good news is that Raul is 75 and he won’t be around for ever. The big question is how Raul is going to handle things from this point forward. He has extensively studied the Chinese economy and I would expect him to transition Cuba towards a more open system.

JFellows, you would be surprised as to how much Cuban tobacco is used in the cigars we smoke today. While Habanos S.A. won’t let a lot of wrapper leafs off the island, filler Cuban tobacco is used in many “blends” that secretly make it into the Country today. I for one love a blend of Cuban filers, a Dominican binder, and a nice shade Connecticut wrapper J
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

I should clarify...I mean that if Cuban tobacco became readily and openly available for non-Puros, or even if Cuban puros became readily and openly available to anyone, it seems like the overall quality (and availability) of Cuban cigars would plummet.
    Last edited by JFellows; 02-19-2008 at 11:50 AM.

I think it is naive to think that there will be radical changes after the passing of Castro. Things will remain status quo for quite a while.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

It will take a new generation of leaders in Cuba before things change enough. Until then, relations between us and Cuba will remain as they are.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

11. Default Castros' Cuba

Cigar No Baka

You are correct sir. Although Castros' brother will be vulnerable, Cuba will not change
    until Fidel has passed. A new generation will cast a different world. Let us all hope
    that they are not subjected to the same prejudices.

I don't think much will change with Castro stepping down. His brother though is more open to the idea of free markets, which is kind of supprising since during the revolution he was the propoent for communisim in the extreme (more than Fidel). I don't think the embargo will be lifted untill a lot of political issues have been resolved such as reparations for land, human rights violations and so on. Without those issues addressed the US will not change its policy due to its large cuban-american lobbying group.

Thread Information