Thread: Blue Ray or High-Def

1. Default Blue Ray or High-Def

I've in the market for a DVD player...Do I go with Blue Ray or Hi-Def. I'm leaning toward Blue Ray at the moment.

How about some input from you guys...Pros and cons from your personal experence would be appreciated.

I am still waiting for the war to be worked out. What I think is that eventually they players will play both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

From what it sounds like, Sony is releasing only Blu-Ray, and Warner Bros just announced they are dropping HD-DVD, and Paramount is planning on dropping HD-DVD as well.

If this is all true, I would definitely say right now that Blu-Ray is the best bet.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Hd-DVD is over. Warner Bros, and the majority of movie studios are going blu-ray only.

It's like vhs and beta, blu-ray is vhs, HD-dvd is beta. Both work great but the vast majority of what will be available will be on blu-ray.

Toshiba is the big player in the HD-dvd format. So they might soon be standing alone. Sell your Toshiba stock now.
    I think the name alone "Blue-Ray" sounds better than "Hi-Def". Holy Havanas, couldn't they come up with something better than Hi-Def which is already a generic term for everthing in HD-TV broadcasting.

Blog Entries

Yep...Now the prices of the players and movies will drop significantly.
    I guess I'll have to start over with my movie collection that's nearing 500 titles
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blu-ray definitely.

Also I like the uncompressed try audio on the Blu-ray. Blu ray format also holds more information than HD DVD.

Toshiba is gonna DROP

Blu-ray is the way to go.

If your looking for a player, you might want to consider a PS3 for one. I believe it is still one of the cheapest players on the market and it is one the best you can buy. Plus you can always play some games on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mizicke5273 View Post
    Blu-ray is the way to go.

If your looking for a player, you might want to consider a PS3 for one. I believe it is still one of the cheapest players on the market and it is one the best you can buy. Plus you can always play some games on it!
    Yes but a Stand alone blu-ray is soo much better.

Not really. The PS3 is one of the best on the market. Only a couple are just as good or a little bit better. Most anything in the same price range isnt as good as and doesent support 1080P.

If you have to go with a Blu-Ray player, I second the PS3.

However I'm not going either way right now. Soon enough the players will go dual format and then drop in price.

Eventually people won't even remember this format war. A lot of home entertainment systems have some type of computer involved (I have an old PC with MCE on it). Soon there won't be a need for a wall of movies in your house, just an inconspicuously placed computer. High definition movies will be downloaded and stored. Soon enough the technology will be here to allow for a high def movie to be compressed, without quality loss, into a manageable size. The high demand already for online movies is driving a push for higher bandwidth to the home. Give it a year or two and it won't matter what kind of player you have.

I currently use Netflix and their "instant view" feature is great, mostly for TV series. Give it time and you'll be able to get full on 1080p content over the internet.

My $0.02

spiffy

Haven't jumped on the hd/br wagon yet. Gernerally, the deciding factor is when and what is finally available in the rental market. I think Blockbuster (big around here) has decided to support blue-ray. Should also check NetFlix, now that I think of it.

Cheers -

Rusty

Netflix offers both formats where available. If a movie happens to be on both formats they offer all 3 then, including DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by spiffykyle View Post

However I'm not going either way right now. Soon enough the players will go dual format and then drop in price.

Eventually people won't even remember this format war. A lot of home entertainment systems have some type of computer involved (I have an old PC with MCE on it). Soon there won't be a need for a wall of movies in your house, just an inconspicuously placed computer. High definition movies will be downloaded and stored. Soon enough the technology will be here to allow for a high def movie to be compressed, without quality loss, into a manageable size. The high demand already for online movies is driving a push for higher bandwidth to the home. Give it a year or two and it won't matter what kind of player you have.

I currently use Netflix and their "instant view" feature is great, mostly for TV series. Give it time and you'll be able to get full on 1080p content over the internet.

My $0.02

spiffy
    Actually you can get a compressed HiDef movie with barely any loss in video quality using the h.264 codec packed in an MKV container. Although you might get a loss of audio quality though. This is all in an 8 GB file, so its pretty good right now.

I have most of my media stored on my server which currently totals around 2TB of data. Im in the process of switching around some of my PCs to hook up one to my TV, so I can start to stream video over to it.

And I have netflix for all my sd movies.

Quote Originally Posted by spiffykyle View Post

My $0.02

spiffy
    I also have Netflix and I love it. Never done instant downloads as I won't watch movies at my PC, but damn they sure ship fast. 90% of the time, i ship my DVD's back today ,and 48 hours later I have the next ones on my list in my mailbox.

Ken - I have to echo what most if not all of the others are saying. Its' pretty clear that HD DVD has lost the war, and Blue Ray will be the winner from everything I am reading. I've been following pretty closely the ongoing war as i want to stay out and not buy until one format wins.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Blu-Ray is a bit better in the storage capacity sense, but soon all players will support both formats. Kind of like DVD-R, DVD+R, DVDxR, DVD/R, DVD to the third power of R, etc.

How many people know and truly care about all the differrent DVD formats? Not many! They all work, and 99.9% of modern players/burners are compatible with all the different formats and auto detect them, so it's a moot point. It's completely invisible to the end user, except for the letters on the blank media.

I'm just waiting for the first affordable non-copyright protection enabled BR burner to come out along with 100mbit home connections, so we can hear a whole new generation of wailing and teeth gnashing from content providers about piracy.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Youll be waiting a few years for 100mbit connections to your house. Although it can easily be done with fiber today, just not the need for it by most people. I could definitely use it but the majority wouldnt need/want it. Now on the other hand OC 768 is something worth waiting for though. Do a Google search on "optical carrier" and youll know why.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mizicke5273 View Post
    Youll be waiting a few years for 100mbit connections to your house. Although it can easily be done with fiber today, just not the need for it by most people. I could definitely use it but the majority wouldnt need/want it. Now on the other hand OC 768 is something worth waiting for though. Do a Google search on "optical carrier" and youll know why.
    This is a useful thread. Good content. I'm often at least one generation behind when it comes to upgrading home or personal technology. No surprise there. How do these formats stack up on a price/value matrix?

So, Mizickie, is this what you're referring to with optical carriers? How do you process that much data?

Each channel is 51.85 Mbps. An OC-3, for example, has 3 channels adding up to 155.52 Mbps. Currently, Cisco CRS-1 System features OC-768 line cards. These cards are priced at $2,000,000 USD each.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...ps_HD_DVD/1477

Following several days of rumors, Toshiba has confirmed that it will no longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders, effectively ending the high-def format war.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked! View Post
    This is a useful thread. Good content. I'm often at least one generation behind when it comes to upgrading home or personal technology. No surprise there. How do these formats stack up on a price/value matrix?

So, Mizickie, is this what you're referring to with optical carriers? How do you process that much data?

Each channel is 51.85 Mbps. An OC-3, for example, has 3 channels adding up to 155.52 Mbps. Currently, Cisco CRS-1 System features OC-768 line cards. These cards are priced at $2,000,000 USD each.
    Haha, I wasnt serious about geting an OC line to your house. Be nice though. And ya that is what I meant though. They are actually used by backbone providers.

Thread Information