Thread: A good torch lighter

Default A good torch lighter

Anybody reccomend a good torch lighter or where to find one for a good price? What are some decent brands? I have a small convenience store type, it was $6 but not sure how long one like that would last. Do many of you use torch lighters? I see them used alot on You Tube Cigar reviews.
    Last edited by Namerifrats; 01-10-2008 at 07:27 PM.

Blog Entries

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...ctid1078745909

This does not answer your question but it a good video on the topic

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Good video, also alot of decent ones on You Tube I have found.

My ST Dupont Xtend has not failed me in the 2 or so years I have had it for. What I find is that as long as you feed them decent fuel, most lighters will last for a long time.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

I got a free Colibri CI Synco Smiley from cigars interational that works pretty good.

I had another cheap one I bought at the beach years ago. It ran out and I bought one of the tall thin red and white cans of Butane at Wal-Mart. Tried to refill it per the instructions, never worked out. Not sure it the refill nozzle was bad on the lighter or what. It'll just spark, and sometime you'll get a very tiny blue flame that burns like a regular flame lighter instead of the torch. Not sure what went wrong so I bought the new one last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Namerifrats View Post
    I had another cheap one I bought at the beach years ago. It ran out and I bought one of the tall thin red and white cans of Butane at Wal-Mart. Tried to refill it per the instructions, never worked out. Not sure it the refill nozzle was bad on the lighter or what. It'll just spark, and sometime you'll get a very tiny blue flame that burns like a regular flame lighter instead of the torch. Not sure what went wrong so I bought the new one last night.
    you didn't put ronson butane in a normal lighter did you? anyrate, go buy you a cheap ronson lighter... even if it breaks, buy a new one, great lighter for $3

Quote Originally Posted by ReV View Post
    you didn't put ronson butane in a normal lighter did you? anyrate, go buy you a cheap ronson lighter... even if it breaks, buy a new one, great lighter for $3
    What Rev said. Go back to Wal-mart and get you one of these.

They are $3. I found mine at the check out lane that sells cigarettes. It's as good as either one of my Colibri or Xikar lighters. I'm sure the Dupont lighters are great, but for the money you spend on a Dupont, you can have a couple of boxes of nice cigars.

Plus I would probably loose a Dupont with my luck. Make sure you get a minimum of triple refined butane to refill with. That Ronson fuel you bought is garbage. Check out your local brick and morter for a good can of butane fuel.

As far as a "good can" goes, what price range could I expect so I'll know I'm getting a better fuel? I went and checked my can, and it is Ronson. So that brand sucks, I'll remember that.

My thoughts:

1. Cheap lighter
    2. Good fuel

I have 2 lighters, one was a freebie Colibri from a CI purchase that has become my main lighter. The other is the cheapo torch that I found at a gas station and now resides in my car. Both are still going strong. I also have a few Bics laying around that work great as well.

For fuel, go to your B&M and have them recommend a good one. "Triple Refined" is something you want to look for. I'm at work or I'd go read the brand off of my current can.

Make sure you purge the lighter before refilling it. Hold it upside down and use a screwdriver or something to hold down the little fill nozzle. It will vent the remaining gas. Do this every time and you shouldn't have any problems.

I can't personally justify spending $$$$ on the Dupont. I don't doubt they are quality lighters, but I'd rather have the cigars.

spiffy

As far as a "good can" goes, what price range could I expect so I'll know I'm getting a better fuel? I went and checked my can, and it is Ronson. So that brand sucks, I'll remember that.
    its all pretty cheap, i've had good luck with colibri butane (comes in a thin blue can)... i didn't like the nozzle on blazer butane, but the fule works fine. I hear Lava is pretty nice, must be, they're always out when i go to get some.

Good info, I'll look around Wal-Mart and see if I can find one of those cheap lighters to use and keep the gas station "bullet" torch as a backup. I'm gonna hit the B&M this weekend and get some decent gas for when they run out and maybe even refill the first one i had.

Checked out 3 Wal-Mart stores and none of them have any kind of torch lighter. Also checked out a couple of B&M for fuel and they have the Ronson and something called Pop-Lite. I'll check around a couple more places the next day or so and see if I can't find some Colibri fuel or something.
    Last edited by Namerifrats; 01-13-2008 at 08:06 AM.

Checked out 3 Wal-Mart stores and none of them have any kind of torch lighter. Also checked out a couple of B&M and they have the Ronson and something called Pop-Lite. I'll check around a couple more places the next day or so and see if I can't find some Colibri fuel or something.
    You can get them direct from Ronson. Free shipping on orders over $20.

http://www.ronsonstore.com/jetlite.cfm

I think the fuel I use is called Vector. It's supposedly refined 5 times.

I got a great little lighter from www.heartfeltindustries.com. They're called Rhino lighters, they're only $20 or so, triple torch, never had a problem refiling them and they light every time.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Well I finally found those Torch lighters at a Wal-Mart store, went ahead and bought 2. Went to a different B&M this morning and found some Premium butane fuel, Zippo brand in a blue can. It was $4 so I guess it's the right stuff.

Thread Information