Thread: Made the switch to Netfilx

Default Made the switch to Netfilx

After being an advocate for Blockbuster, mainly because I work right next to one and they allow you to exchange the movie you get in the mail for a free store rental, I have made the switch to Netflix. When I signed up, Netflix and Blockbuster's prices and plans were identical in all but one way. So the being able to exchange it in store was the seller for me.

Since then Blockbuster has gone up in price several times. They started making you pay if you wanted to exchange in the store. I started off paying around $16 a month for the Blockbuster subscription. As of last night I was paying $30! I didn't realize I was paying that much, in my mind it was $24.

My co-worker mentioned last week about being able to watch movies instantly with Netflix. This spiked my curiosity but Netflix is blocked at work for some reason. So I ultimately forgot about it. Last night something happened to remind me and I decided to give it a look. I have been missing out.

Blockbuster Plan - $29.99 a month
    2 DVDs at a time
    Unlimited Store Exchanges

Netflix Plan - $16.99 a month
    3 DVDs at a time
    17 hours of instant movies

Netflix also has a larger library, though the Instant Movie category is not as big.

Blockbuster asks all these question when you cancel about why you are leaving. I was adament in letting them know exactly why I was leaving. They tried to save me by knocking the price back to $21.99 a month. So if you have a Blockbuster subscription, try cancelling it and you'll get a cheaper price.

Blockbuster's movies, excluding New Arrivals, are generally $.99 now. I doesn't bother me to pay a dollar for a movie if I just have to have one. But then again, that's what the instant movies in Netflix are for.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

They have fast service and an excellent selection however so far about 25% of the dvd's I have received were scratched or damaged to the point they would not play. You can register a complaint on the site and they will actually send out a replacement before they even get the damaged dvd back from you which is nice. I guess the odds of getting a bum disc from them are not any more or less then coming home from the movie store with a worn out movie so it is all good. Netflix gets my vote.
    "If your wife doesn't like the aroma of your cigar - change your wife."
    Zino Davidoff

Now that I know what they are:
    +1 Termite
    +1 Raisin

Blockbuster sucks. Aways has, always will. I don't care if they offered 10 dvd's for 10 bucks a month, I'd still go netflix. BB is always trying to pull that crap like changing prices and only offering things cheaper when you want to leave.

Yea, netflix is definitely the better deal! Always has been for me.

Netflix, netflix, netflix. I've been a subscriber for 3 years and have had wonderful luck. Recently, I added my girlfriend to my account and we each get 2 movies at a time. I think I pay 26.00, which is cheaper than buying the DVD's outright and renting them at at blockbuster's. Not to mention, the selection is incredible.

...my only beef is that Netflix a tad late in releasing some more obscure movies already available on DVD (mainly Horror & music stuff).

Good switch.

I've been with Netflix for about four months now and I'm happy so far. The superfast shipping really wows me, I ship them out today, and in only two days, I have my new DVD's.

I have beefs with Blockbuster that go back to when I rented movies and games from them at their stores. They hired lots of people that didn't care, were rude and apathetic and they would never admit to making a mistake. So I left them oh probably about 6-7 years ago and just stopped renting movies.

Netflix prices are sweet, and I hear online that they will be allowing unlimited online viewing of movies in reaction to Apple starting up a movie rental unit soon.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

I've been with Netflix for several years and I'm surprised that you are seeing 1 out of 4 being unplayable. I think in the 4-5 years I've used them I may have gotten 3 or 4 that wouldn't play. I don't know, maybe it's the DVD player.

BTW - check out the Instant Play feature. The playback is flawless (broadband cable) and the selection is adequate. I will watch a movie sometimes when I'm in the office smoking a cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    BTW - check out the Instant Play feature. The playback is flawless (broadband cable) and the selection is adequate. I will watch a movie sometimes when I'm in the office smoking a cigar.
    Watched 2 already. Deliver us from evil and Word Wars. Word Wars is a documentary that follows 4 Tournament Scrabble players. It was pretty entertaining.
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Maybe someday I will watch movies at my PC, but not for now. Don't have a nice comfy setup like I have in my living room so I have no desire to sit at the PC for hours at a time. Plus, my monitor is only 19" and my TV is over twice that big.

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka View Post
    Netflix prices are sweet, and I hear online that they will be allowing unlimited online viewing of movies in reaction to Apple starting up a movie rental unit soon.
    good call, just got this email:

As part of your current Netflix subscription, you have the option to watch some movies and TV episodes from the Netflix library instantly on your PC at no additional charge. Now, we've made it unlimited!

So watch instantly on your PC when you want, and as often as you want. Select from our separate, smaller library of over 6,000 familiar movies and TV episodes available to watch instantly.

- Your friends at Netflix

I just heard about the unlimited thing. That is bad ass!

I bought another TV that I will have wired to my PC. I may just cancel HBO and Showtime since I won't be needing them or their on demand service now.

WOOHOOO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    good call, just got this email:
    Haven't checked my email in a few days, but I bet I have one waiting for me. Competition is always a good thing.

can you download onto a Ipod ? i kids love watching movies on the ipod but i am going broke buying movies from Itunes ...lol

Dustin

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

Quote Originally Posted by dustinpollock View Post
    can you download onto a Ipod ? i kids love watching movies on the ipod but i am going broke buying movies from Itunes ...lol

Dustin
    nope, you watch the movies from their website. there's no downloading.
    look into Torrents.

thanks chris, i'll send my wife there to check it out

dustin

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

Quote Originally Posted by guado View Post
    I just heard about the unlimited thing. That is bad ass!

I bought another TV that I will have wired to my PC. I may just cancel HBO and Showtime since I won't be needing them or their on demand service now.

WOOHOOO!!!!
    Careful... the selection for on demand viewing is still quite small and the selection is not that great. Hopefully this will change, but for now I don't think I'd cancel anything just yet.

Thread Information