Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First post, essentially new to the forum.

Default First post, essentially new to the forum.

Hello! I signed up here a while back when researching brands, but I never posted. Well now I'm really looking into starting a collection, rather than just smoking cigars as I buy them. My name is Mitch and I'm a junior in chemical engineering at Mississippi State University in Starkville, MS. I'm really into music, sports cars, and "the arts" (as broad as that topic may be). Favorite authors include Murakami and Vonnegut. I love movies by Woody Allen and Miyazaki. Favorite TV show on right now (technically, due to the writers strike) is The Office (US).

Cigars that I've had so far:
    Excalibur 1066 (some sort of maduro)
    Romeo Y Julieta Reserva Real
    Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva
    Ashton Heritage Puro Sol
    Romeo Y Julieta Vintage
    CAO Cameroon

The CAO Cameroon is my go-to stick these days. I love the flavor.

Anyway, I'm in need of a humidor. I'd like something in the 20-50 stick range, but I'd like to keep the price at or under $40. I know that may sound like I'm being cheap, but I'm still in college. The more I spend on the humidor, the less I have to spend on cigars.

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Mitch

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum. Tupperware and coolers work very well as humidors.......and are way less expensive for the amount they can hold. Do a search here on coolidor and tupperdor as well as humidity beads.......you should find the answers.

Holy crap you're really close to me! I'm in Tupelo, live in Guntown. State huh? You know Don Greenwood?

If you know where the Smoke Stack is in West Point, we're having a big cigar herf this coming Wed. You should try to make it out. Phil is a great guy with an awesome selection of beer and smokes. We always have a great time and he will definately help stock up that humidor.

Let me know if you can make it out.

Chris
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Definitely get a cooler... you'll be happier in the long run, and it's probably cheaper.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks guys. I'd seen a few things about tupperdors and humidity beads. I'll read up more.

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    Holy crap you're really close to me! I'm in Tupelo, live in Guntown. State huh? You know Don Greenwood?

If you know where the Smoke Stack is in West Point, we're having a big cigar herf this coming Wed. You should try to make it out. Phil is a great guy with an awesome selection of beer and smokes. We always have a great time and he will definately help stock up that humidor.

Let me know if you can make it out.

Chris
    Sorry, don't know a Don Greenwood.
    I like the idea of a get together. I'd only be able to go some time between 1pm and 5pm, if that's reasonable. MWF I have classes until 12pm and a night class on Wednesdays 6-9pm. I normally go to Cigar Charlie's in West Point for cigars. Do you know much about that store?

Thanks again, guys.

-Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Thanks guys. I'd seen a few things about tupperdors and humidity beads. I'll read up more.

Sorry, don't know a Don Greenwood.
    I like the idea of a get together. I'd only be able to go some time between 1pm and 5pm, if that's reasonable. MWF I have classes until 12pm and a night class on Wednesdays 6-9pm. I normally go to Cigar Charlie's in West Point for cigars. Do you know much about that store?

Thanks again, guys.

-Mitch
    I've seen Cigar Charlies but have never been in there. We get together starting at around 6 until about 12. So after 9pm will be fine if you wanna swing by.

If you're coming from Starkville, Cigar Charlies will be on your right. Keep going till you get to the "big" intersection with the gas station on your right. Take a right at the intersection. You'll see some old men selling watermelons and such on your right then you'll see a small building with a huge banner on the side of it (that I made ) just over some train tracks. That's it. Called the Smoke Stack. Come on by if you get a chance, we'll be there well after 9pm.
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

I've seen Cigar Charlies but have never been in there. We get together starting at around 6 until about 12. So after 9pm will be fine if you wanna swing by.

If you're coming from Starkville, Cigar Charlies will be on your right. Keep going till you get to the "big" intersection with the gas station on your right. Take a right at the intersection. You'll see some old men selling watermelons and such on your right then you'll see a small building with a huge banner on the side of it (that I made ) just over some train tracks. That's it. Called the Smoke Stack. Come on by if you get a chance, we'll be there well after 9pm.
    I'll do my best to drop by. I'll probably have a brown and beige houndstooth hat on if I come. Thanks again!

Welcome to the Board

I'll be the guy with long hair that looks like he doesn't belong. My girlfriend will be with me too, so that'll help spot me.

welcome to the board!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

Welcome from Cali...

Welcome to the forum from just up the road in Southaven.

Welcome from the UK.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

I'll be the guy with long hair that looks like a girl. My girlfriend will be with me too, she looks like she doesn't belong with me, so that'll help spot me.
    Shouldn't be too hard to find then.

Welcome from New Jersey.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Welcome from Houston!

Another vote for the cooler. Its cheaper than a humi, holds more and works great. If you want to try a ton of sticks then check out the Newbie Sampler II.

spiffy

Welcome from VA! I quadruple the cooler idea. You pay a premium to have a nice wooden desktop humidor. Being you are a college student, you don't need a display humidor just yet. Stick with a cooler, and smoke up a storm. I bought a humidor and regret it when I started smoking. Could have saved that $50+ I spent on it for nice smokes. It's just sitting collecting dust and holding my yard-gars.

Andrew

Welcome from TN.

...just go with the cooler, man. They're cheap this time of year and they work like a dream.

Blog Entries

Welcome from South Florida!

Welcome
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Thanks again guys!

I just got back from the smokestack. Chris, that was great. As cold and rainy as it is, I wasn't sure I was going to go, but now I'm glad I did. Thanks for inviting me

-Mitch

Thread Information