Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would YOU say something??

Default Would YOU say something??

A question for you guys/gals to ponder:

I was at our local cigar bar the other night, enjoying a few drinks and cigars with friends. I notice a gentleman at the end of the bar sitting alone with a cocktail and an unlit CAO Soprano giant cigar...is that The Boss?...anyway, it was big. To my horror, he begins lighting this thing with the "foot band" still attached. He's just puffing away, flames are shooting in the air; it's a true sight to behold. At one point, he's casually smoking this thing while the foot is on fire. He is obviously not enjoying the flavor either. I mean, it's paper.

My question to you guys is: Do you say something?

I didn't want to embarrass the guy, but at the same time he spent probably $15 on a cigar. Is it my responsibility to teach this guy how to properly light a cigar or is it the retailer (of which there are many floating around the bar) to let him know? Was it the guy's responsibility to know how to smoke a cigar before he lit it? If I did intervene, how do you do so without coming off sounding like a complete cigar snob?

I see this kind of thing all the time, though not to that extreme, at this particular bar; people just smoking cigars because they're offered at the establishment. I've seen bic lighters used on Hemingways, people lighting the wrong end of a Davidoff & young guys raising hell because they've sold out of ACID cigars...it's ridiculous.

What do you guys/gals think?

snip

My question to you guys is: Do you say something?
    I would, but quietly so no one else hears you.

snip Is it my responsibility to teach this guy how to properly light a cigar or is it the retailer (of which there are many floating around the bar) to let him know?

Retailer

Was it the guy's responsibility to know how to smoke a cigar before he lit it?
    No - everyone lights a cigar for the first time at some point.

If I did intervene, how do you do so without coming off sounding like a complete cigar snob?
    Just be respectful, think about how you would want someone to speak to you in this situtation.

I've seen bic lighters used on Hemingways ...snip .. it's ridiculous.
    I use a bix probably 98% of the time. I have 3 tourches and I prefer the softer flame. I get a much better, cooler, more even light.

What do you guys/gals think?

see above.

I've been put in this spot before too. I tend to not to give cigar advice to most, ecspecially older people, usually because I don't want to seem like a cigar snob as you said.

I was at a cigar shop a couple of weeks ago and this guy had just got a humidor for Christmas. He was probably in his late 40's. He had no idea what to do with it. The clerk was trying to sell him all these jars of goo and I pulled him aside and wrote down Heartfelt's website on a piece of paper and explained the concept. You could tell he was uncomfortable taking cigar advice from some young punk kid. The clerk got pissed and said, "Yeah but you have to buy those buy the ounce". I replied, "Yeah, you have to buy that gel by the jar".

Same trip different shop I heard a retailer say that the Fonseca Limitada was the best cigar they had in the humidor as I was stocking up on some Fuente Sungrowns. This guy was a cigar snob and it's what I aim not to be.

In your situation, I probably wouldn't have said anything. Not saying that you shouldn't have, but just being me I would not for fear of embarassing the dude. Although I'm sure it could be handled delicately. Just put yourself in his shoes and talk the way you would want to be talked to.

Common sense would tell you not to smoke paper. Did he smoke the band, too?
    Last edited by chefchris; 01-16-2008 at 10:25 AM.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Who was it around here who posted a pic of the band they smoked?

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    Who was it around here who posted a pic of the band they smoked?
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Blog Entries

I honestly can't think of a way to point out that mistake without causing some embarassment.

I might have asked "Does that paper band add anything to your enjoyment of such a beautiful cigar?" Maybe I'll try that technique next time.

anyway, I use a bic to light nearly every cigar I smoke, rarely I'll use wooden matches when my neighbor supplies the smokes, since he always brings the matches.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Maybe he remembered that someone had told him that it's cool to smoke an expensive cigar with the band still on (not the foot band you dumb ass).

Maybe he was on his 4th Calahan's and just didn't notice the foot band. At least he lit the correct end, unlike many cigarette smokers I've seen.

Maybe it was the blonde down at the end of the bar.

Maybe the 3 guys over at the corner table (about to bust a gut) had told him that was an
    "igniter band" that creates an even burn every time.

I would make up my mind based on how I felt about the situation. I I felt in any way uncomfortable about giving advice to a total stranger, I would avoid doing so.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

I don't know how I would have handled it, but I think I would have tried to find a way to let him know.

Was it an older gentleman?? In my (limited) experience, most of these guys won't take offense if you point something like this out, and usually they'll laugh about it. They've been smoking cigars since before I was born and lately there are a bunch of newfangled smokes out there. When they light up its more of muscle memory than anything else.

If it were me I would've said something to him. If you don't act snobbish you won't come off as a snob...

...unless of course the guy you're talking to is a snob, then I wouldn't really care what he thought of me.

spiffy

The guy was older than me...definitely. I would say he was in his early to mid 50's. I'm in my mid 20's. He was also by himself.

After reading your comments, I'm glad I didn't say anything to him. In the future, though, I'm going to find a tactful way to approach the subject because I would hope someone would do the same to me if I were smoking a $15 cigar without an idea how to smoke it.

I'll bet he was wondering to himself how people could stand the taste of these things...he probably thought Tony Soprano was out of his mind.

Blog Entries

I suppose if I were ruining a $15+ cigar, I would want someone to set me straight, in a tactful way of course.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Makes me think how drunk fuggers I've seen light the wrong end of a cigarette. That filter tastes a little funny, huh?

I would definitely say something. Odds are he'd be embarrassed but appreciative. If he gave me a hard time for being a younger and perhaps less-experienced smoker (although how much experience can you have if you do something like that), I would kindly suggest that he spend his money on diapers and Ensure, instead of a cigar-band-burning effort in senility.

15. Default

Hmmmmm, do believe I would simply say "Hey bro, dude, sir, senior, mon ami" whichever applies "Your supposed to take that off before you smoke the cigar". If he is normal he will thank me and smoke his fine cigar without the wrapper left on. If hes an ass he will ignore or chastise me. Sad thing is that the dude at the end of the bar is me ;-(

This is a great topic for discussion. I would definitely say something. Watching a guy waste a nice stick, not to mention smelling it happen is kind of like wearing your hat during the Star Spangled Banner. It’s just not right and it makes me wanna yell when I see it.

How long did you witness this train wreck? I mean after the foot band went out did he keep smoking it? Yeah, Hindsight is always 20/20 but I would have asked him if he knew he was smoking a foot band…I would just have to.

I’m dying to see what Ashauler would say to this guy…

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    Maybe the 3 guys over at the corner table (about to bust a gut) had told him that was an "igniter band" that creates an even burn every time.

LOL! That's priceless.

Seriously, please help out when you see something like this. If he is a reasonable person, he will appreciate it. If he's blind drunk, he won't remember it anyway.

I probably would have said something. If it was me, I'd be embarassed at first, but be very thankful because it won't happen again.

If the guy makes a scene, then he'll just make himself look like a bigger dumbass.

Andrew

We watched him "smoke" for a bit before we moved away. I say "we," but I'm really the only cigar smoker in my group of friends, so I was the one completely horrified.

It was like watching someone try to cover a Beatles song...you're kind of just nonplussed they would even attempt a thing like that.

I've done a few searches online about the "foot band" for cigars. Is this a relatively new thing for cigars? Now, I'm just making excuses for the guy.

Blog Entries

I light my sticks with a bic almost all the time for the same reasons Tyler does.....besides, I can buy a shitload of them for the cost of one Colibri........I have been known to bite the caps off my cigars if I don't have my cutter......a freebie cutter that I got from Mr. Bundles. I have lit the wrong end of a perfecto more than once........

I would never dream of commenting on what someone uses to light or cut their cigar, how they smoke it, etc.......but, I would have tried to find some way to politely and very low key like tell the guy and get him to pull off the foot band. I think most people would take this kindly, but some may not.........it would either most likely lead to a longer conversation about cigars and possibly a new smoking buddy, or a very short conversation if the guy was an ass about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jfellows
    I would definitely say something. Odds are he'd be embarrassed but appreciative. If he gave me a hard time for being a younger and perhaps less-experienced smoker (although how much experience can you have if you do something like that), I would kindly suggest that he spend his money on diapers and Ensure, instead of a cigar-band-burning effort in senility.
    LMFAO.....I'm not that quick, but if he was an ass it would probably go something like that, though most of my response would only contain 4 letters or less.

Thread Information