Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Bowl Pool

Blog Entries

prostartjr,

Thanks for offering. I haven't been a member long enough to get involved in a 'precision exercise' like the pool you're proposing. Everyone involved has to know the ropes already. It's a great idea though. Good thoughts on the structure, too.

May I add a general comment from the perspective of a complete noob?

DG is right. In my brief experience with this board, new members who take the time to learn the lay of the land and identify the core participants can benefit greatly from what the the community has to offer. There is a wealth of useful information and commentary available even if you choose not to participate in the contests or passes. Personally, I have found members to be respectful and very forgiving of errors. That last part depends on the individual.

There are many genuinely decent people here. I hope you're not put off by the artillery falling around us. It makes sense for senior members to point out issues when they occur. It would be a shame to bring the board into disrepute. Sorry for the hijack. Good luck with the pool.
    Last edited by Smoked!; 01-28-2008 at 02:51 PM.

2. Default

Smoked, I would have no problem allowin you to participate. You have a decent amount of post (more than me atleast). If noone else objects, I would have no problem allowing you in as long as you think you understand what needs to be done. Im a newb myself, and dont like to be pushed aside just because of that, (this board seems to be good with giving people a shot and if you blow it than they come down on you). That being said, as long as your in good standing, I have no problems letting fellow newbs participate. Hell we need people anyway and there dont seem to be to many intrested yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Grinch View Post
    Mikey,

I like newbies and so do a lot of the other BOTL's here. A board can not survive or grow with out them. That's one of the reason I did the Newbie Secret Santa and will do a Cigar Draft that I will push for the Newbies to join in on. I know I have one sticky around here that has advice to the newbie. Linky I also told you in plain terms in the grinch list thread what you should do. The STFU didn't mean just in that thread it meant board wide. Once a package showed up then you could have started posting a little. Maybe one day you would have fixed this. Not now! You stepped on your own dick too much.

You really should check out www.cigarlive.com They give people a second chance no matter what you do.

DG
    Or third, or fourth, or ...
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by prostartjr1738 View Post
    Smoked, I would have no problem allowin you to participate. You have a decent amount of post (more than me atleast). If noone else objects, I would have no problem allowing you in as long as you think you understand what needs to be done. Im a newb myself, and dont like to be pushed aside just because of that, (this board seems to be good with giving people a shot and if you blow it than they come down on you). That being said, as long as your in good standing, I have no problems letting fellow newbs participate. Hell we need people anyway and there dont seem to be to many intrested yet.
    Hey, thanks again. I'm traveling a bit the next couple weeks and don't have too much spare time. It wouldn't be that enjoyable for me. I'll have to pass on this one, but I'll be around for other contests down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked! View Post
    prostartjr,

Thanks for offering. I haven't been a member long enough to get involved in a 'precision exercise' like the pool you're proposing. Everyone involved has to know the ropes already. It's a great idea though. Good thoughts on the structure, too.

May I add a general comment from the perspective of a complete noob?

DG is right. In my brief experience with this board, new members who take the time to learn the lay of the land and identify the core participants can benefit greatly from what the the community has to offer. There is a wealth of useful information and commentary available even if you choose not to participate in the contests or passes. Personally, I have found members to be respectful and very forgiving of errors. That last part depends on the individual.

There are many genuinely decent people here. I hope you're not put off by the artillery falling around us. It makes sense for senior members to point out issues when they occur. It would be a shame to bring the board into disrepute. Sorry for the hijack. Good luck with the pool.
    That is sure a refreshing attitude.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post
    That is sure a refreshing attitude.
    It's good to see a newbie that "gets it".

prostartjr...It's good for you to sponser this pool. Might I suggest you maybe do some other sports pool down the road. It will give you some time to better organize.
    Last edited by cigarsarge; 01-28-2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: additional thought

7. Default

I will definatly try and do some more sports stuff in the future. The reason I got this up so late was that I thought there was one already going here. When looking for it a few days ago, I saw there wasnt one up yet. I will try and do something for the hockey playoffs which arent all that far away. I will try and come up with something good for that.

I will try and do something for the hockey playoffs which arent all that far away. I will try and come up with something good for that.
    Sounds awesome, I love playoff hockey. Devils all the way!

Blog Entries

Right on......gotta love a game where you only get a 5 min penalty for smacking the crap out of your opposition.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BDurrani View Post
    Sounds awesome, I love playoff hockey. Devils all the way!
    I agree with half of your statement. Playoff hockey is increadable. The second half I have to disagree with. Im more of a "Lets go Rangers" kind of guy

11. Default

I don't know a thing about hockey...I'd risk a few sticks in a pool though.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Right on......gotta love a game where you only get a 5 min penalty for smacking the crap out of your opposition.
    . . . or where you play only that long before you have to sit down.

I agree with half of your statement. Playoff hockey is increadable. The second half I have to disagree with. Im more of a "Lets go Rangers" kind of guy
    Playoff hockey is awesome! But you're both a little confused about the second part. Go Stars! I'd play a couple of sticks in a contest.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    . . . or where you play only that long before you have to sit down.

Playoff hockey is awesome! But you're both a little confused about the second part. Go Stars! I'd play a couple of sticks in a contest.
    I don't think I've ever seen a five minute shift at the pro level. 90 seconds seems like a marathon when you're playing at that speed.

Hockey in Florida sucks... *sigh*

Yeah, I would play for a couple sticks.

14. Default

Looks like we have a few hockey fans here. I will be trying to come up with a nice contest for the playoffs. Maybe next year we can set up a fantasy hockey league, and the winner at the end of the season gets a nice bunch of stick, we can leave that untill the offseason. AS for the playoffs, if anyone has any ideas shoot me over a PM and well get something figured out. I guess the super bowl pool isnt going to make it. Maybe we can make some straight bets one on one. Anyone intrested in taking the Pats, Ill take the Giants in a bet or 2.

Blog Entries

Anyone intrested in taking the Pats, Ill take the Giants in a bet or 2.

You can just send out some cigars, and save the heartache
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

16. Default

Hey, they never thought the Giants would get past the Packers but they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked! View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a five minute shift at the pro level. 90 seconds seems like a marathon when you're playing at that speed.

Hockey in Florida sucks... *sigh*

Yeah, I would play for a couple sticks.
    Yeah - didn't know how long a shift is, just that they're really short and that the athleticism required to play the game must be incredible, and then they crank it up some more for playoffs!
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Yeah - didn't know how long a shift is, just that they're really short and that the athleticism required to play the game must be incredible, and then they crank it up some more for playoffs!
    Yup, just like they always say it's the hardest trophy to win in all of sports. They have 4 rounds of playoffs each with the potential to go 7 games.

19. Default

I played hockey for about 13 years, from the time I was 4 untill about 2 years ago. I can tell you that the average shift of about 45 seconds, to a minute tops is the most exahusting 45 seconds you can experience in sports. On many occasions I have hoped over the boards after a hard shift and "puked my brains up". It is an awsome feeling though when things are going your way and your team is playing good. The pain sort of takes a back seat and you do what you have to do.

I played hockey for about 13 years, from the time I was 4 untill about 2 years ago. I can tell you that the average shift of about 45 seconds, to a minute tops is the most exahusting 45 seconds you can experience in sports. On many occasions I have hoped over the boards after a hard shift and "puked my brains up". It is an awsome feeling though when things are going your way and your team is playing good. The pain sort of takes a back seat and you do what you have to do.
    while i never played hockey (grew up in AL about 2 hours from the nearest rink) i may have to debate that as the most grueling 45 seconds. my arguement would be for wrestling. Hardest thing i have even done physically in my entire life.
    Mark 8:36

Thread Information