Thread: Identification of ancient cigars needed.

1. Default Identification of ancient cigars needed.

I know nothing about cigars, but would like to know some information about the old cigars visible in the photos linked here:
    http://ww2.ru/forum/index.php?act=at...post&id=183525
    http://ww2.ru/forum/index.php?act=at...post&id=183527
    http://ww2.ru/forum/index.php?act=at...post&id=183528
    http://ww2.ru/forum/index.php?act=at...post&id=180552

On the box it says: Gran Manufactura Garantizados, Rittmeester, Charmant.

I would like to know: how old are these cigars, what condition are they in, how rare are they, how much would they be worth if sold, etc.

Thank you to anybody who can help.

Jean-Loup

Click Me Im Interesting

Click Me Aswell Im Also Interesting

Might be some kinda clue to as how old they are maybe.

Holy crap, nice research!

Mizicke5273 is our new research and Q/A guy.

Can you translate?

Also Jean-Loup are your hands in the photo? Where did you come across the smokes.

Also, they probably aren't worth much to a smoker, maybe a collector, after being in the ground for what appears to be quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    Holy crap, nice research!

Mizicke5273 is our new research and Q/A guy.

Can you translate?

Also Jean-Loup are your hands in the photo? Where did you come across the smokes.

Also, they probably aren't worth much to a smoker, maybe a collector, after being in the ground for what appears to be quite a while.

Just did a quick google search and thats what came up.

Nope cant translate. Hell I can barely speak and understand English at times, let alone another language.

Seems they are still making cigars today. Heres their addy, maybe drop em a line and let em know about those.
    Last edited by Mizicke5273; 01-24-2008 at 04:50 PM.

5. Default

Hi Guys

I am well aware of those links, which is why I came on to a cigar forum to get unbiased opinions. The thing is that many people think that those photos are staged, and that the discovery is a hoax.
    My personel opinion is that the discovery is very real, and if someone with knowleadge about cigars can confirm that these cigars are really 1945 vintage, that would help proove that the discovery is not a hoax. I have already managed to find out that the rum discovered was made before 1948. As for all the uniforms, they are also apparently all authentic.
    The photos I posted links to are from a Russian forum.
    So if anyone has any info about the date these cigars were made, you are more then welcome to post it.

JL

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Loup View Post
    Hi Guys

I am well aware of those links, which is why I came on to a cigar forum to get unbiased opinions. The thing is that many people think that those photos are staged, and that the discovery is a hoax.
    My personel opinion is that the discovery is very real, and if someone with knowleadge about cigars can confirm that these cigars are really 1945 vintage, that would help proove that the discovery is not a hoax. I have already managed to find out that the rum discovered was made before 1948. As for all the uniforms, they are also apparently all authentic.
    The photos I posted links to are from a Russian forum.
    So if anyone has any info about the date these cigars were made, you are more then welcome to post it.

JL
    Well, if you believe that the discovery was real...........doesn't that date the cigars for ya? Research the cigars yourself........one of the mfg's still makes cigars, why don't YOU contact them and see if they can shed any light on it?

Oh, welcome to the forum........do you smoke cigars?

Is that plume or dust on the cigars?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found the link to where they were found.
    Last edited by Kass; 01-25-2008 at 10:37 AM.

Blog Entries

If you were to send me one or two, I'll let you know what condition they're in
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

9. Default

"Well, if you believe that the discovery was real...........doesn't that date the cigars for ya?"

I THINK the discovery is real, but am looking for additional information to be able to confirm it. So no, believing the discovery is real doesnt date the cigars for me. Anyways, I also would like to know how rare they are, and how easily some russian diggers could get there hands on some to make a hoax.

"Research the cigars yourself........one of the mfg's still makes cigars, why don't YOU contact them and see if they can shed any light on it?"

I AM researching the cigars by posting this discution on this forum. I dont know what an mfg is, so I dont think I will be contacting them unless someone can explain what an mfg is, and where they can be contacted.

Thanks for your very warm and sincere welcome, and your very helpfull post.

Here is a photo of the cigars:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	________________[1]..JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	721  

"Well, if you believe that the discovery was real...........doesn't that date the cigars for ya?"

I THINK the discovery is real, but am looking for additional information to be able to confirm it. So no, believing the discovery is real doesnt date the cigars for me. Anyways, I also would like to know how rare they are, and how easily some russian diggers could get there hands on some to make a hoax.

"Research the cigars yourself........one of the mfg's still makes cigars, why don't YOU contact them and see if they can shed any light on it?"

I AM researching the cigars by posting this discution on this forum. I dont know what an mfg is, so I dont think I will be contacting them unless someone can explain what an mfg is, and where they can be contacted.

Thanks for your very warm and sincere welcome, and your very helpfull post.

Here is a photo of the cigars:
    We don't need your condescending bullshit here. Do you even smoke cigars?
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post
    We don't need your condescending bullshit here. Do you even smoke cigars?
    I asked that myself and he didn't answer.......just the condescending bullshit you mentioned.

WTF. Missing alot of explanation here.

13. Default

No, I dont smoke cigars, and I clearly explained what information I am looking for in post 1.
    I have to say I have never been so unpleasently welcomed on any forum before. Ashauler, or should I say Asshole is the one who started with condescending bullshit. As for Drew, I also dont need to see your bullshit on my thread. Did you guys get all your thousands of posts with such helpfull and friendly posts

Thanks to those who were helpfull,

JL
    Last edited by Jean-Loup; 01-27-2008 at 09:44 AM.

Blog Entries

No, I dont smoke cigars, and I clearly explained what information I am looking for in post 1.
    I have to say I have never been so unpleasently welcomed on any forum before. Ashauler, or should I say Asshole is the one who started with condescending bullshit.

Thanks to those who were helpfull,

JL
    I'm wounded. Mfg, while a little mis-applied here, is an abbreviation for manufacturing....which you probably should have deduced from the context of the sentence that contained it. I suggested that you contact them and see if they can date the cigars for you since they are still making them today.

Your interest in the cigars is to date the discovery. Our interest in cigars is because we smoke them. I have never smoked a cigar that has been buried in an Ammo locker....nor have I smoked WWII era cigars of German origin. Nor do I give a fuck if the uniforms or any of that other shit is real. You were given links of which you were already aware to a forum where people evidently do give a crap about that kind of stuff.......go there.

You found your way to this forum....and were familiar with the other one, but you can't look stuff up unless you're told where to go.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post

So before you spout off with any more of your nonsense how about you answer the question I asked you.

Did you steal those? Are you in the photo? If you question the photo's then you weren't there. So if you weren't there you either stole those or bought them. If you bought them, now it appears you are questioning the purchase and either: (A) what to see if your money was well spent, or, (B) are looking to make a buck off of one of us.

Or if you stole them, you just looking to make a buck.

Either way, you better come clean if you think you're going to get any answers.

Also - this isn't "your" thread. This is a community run board.

Thread Information