Thread: 5 Vegas Gold versus Carlos Torani 1916 Cameroon

1. Smile 5 Vegas Gold versus Carlos Torani 1916 Cameroon

I thought Id smoke these two cigars back to back "Wednesday and Thursday" to compare them. In my lame ass rookie opinion the % Vegas Gold won hands down. The 5 Vegas actually tasted and smoked like it is described in advertisments "starting off peppery and then mellowing out to creamy the whole way thru". The Carlon Torani Cameroon I smoked was pretty much tasteless to me. I could not really discern any character. So In my opinion the 5 Vegas Gold is the better mild cigar.

One question: Would it be considered bad form to cut long cigars into two smaller cigars in an effort to minimize waiste?

"One question: Would it be considered bad form to cut long cigars into two smaller cigars in an effort to minimize waiste?"

In Cuba it would be considered the equivalent of amputating a Master Cigar Roller's index finger.

Buy some Hemingway Short Stories or Oliva Special "G"s for about a 30min smoke.

Blog Entries

Taste is an individual thing.........my taste is the polar opposite of yours......I have no 5 Vegas golds in my humi......but several CT 1916's.

**edit : sorry, I didn't give my opinion of cutting the cigars.......I don't know if its bad form or not, but I would imagine it would be difficult to smoke the cut-off portion without it unravelling. I agree with deedubya.....get some shorter smokes.**
    Last edited by ashauler; 01-25-2008 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Taste is an individual thing.........my taste is the polar opposite of yours......I have no 5 Vegas golds in my humi......but several CT 1916's.

**edit : sorry, I didn't give my opinion of cutting the cigars.......I don't know if its bad form or not, but I would imagine it would be difficult to smoke the cut-off portion without it unravelling. I agree with deedubya.....get some shorter smokes.**
    I'm with you.

1916 > Vegas Gold by far

A lot of people like the 5 Vegas Gold. I didn't enjoy it. It had no trace of any pepper and reminded me of one of those bad peanuts you get sometime that you can't get rid of the aftertaste. I'm with the other guys on this, I really enjoy the C.T. 1916. Give the 5 Vegas Classic and Maduro a try. I enjoy both of those on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by derelict73 View Post

One question: Would it be considered bad form to cut long cigars into two smaller cigars in an effort to minimize waiste?
    A lot of premium cigars are blended to provide a particular smoking experience. Often times they are blended to give you certain strengths and flavors at a particular point in the cigar. Cutting it in half would rob you of the experience the manufacturer is trying to provide you. I'm not saying you wouldn't still enjoy it(if you can keep the wrapper on), but there are other alternatives. Try some petit coronas. They are perfect quickie smokes and if you wind up having more time than you expected, smoke a second one.

A while ago, before I really got into cigars I would buy these cheap cigars that were probably only churchill sized, but back then were HUGE. I would cut them in half and make 2 smokes out of it. So it is possible, but I would never do anything like that again.
    And I really like the CT 1916. But when I first started smoking I didn't really care for any cameroon cigars.

7. Default

Beginning to wonder if maybe I just got a rotten cigar with the CT 1916 I smoked. Seems everyone but me likes it. Well I have one more in my humi that Ill let sit for awhile and then give it another go. Thanks for the replies ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by guado View Post
    I'm with you.

1916 > Vegas Gold by far
    i'd be happy to trade you some 5 Vegas's for some CT 1916s.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WOXOF View Post
    snip

A lot of premium cigars are blended to provide a particular smoking experience. Often times they are blended to give you certain strengths and flavors at a particular point in the cigar. Cutting it in half would rob you of the experience the manufacturer is trying to provide you. I'm not saying you wouldn't still enjoy it(if you can keep the wrapper on), but there are other alternatives. Try some petit coronas. They are perfect quickie smokes and if you wind up having more time than you expected, smoke a second one.
    I didn't even consider this......excellent post Chris!!

I share the opinion on cutting the cigars.

As far as the opinion on the cigars, I'm ok with both, but don't have any of either.

Smoke what you like.

I've had a few 5 Vegas cigars of different kinds and didn't care for any of them. They were just plain boring. I really like the CT 1916 though, just smoked one yesterday. To each his own, though, smoke what you like.

As for cutting a longer cigar in two - for the love of God, please don't do it! Buy shorter cigars, lots of robustos and perfectos can be smoked in as little as 30 minutes in a pinch, though they usually take me more like 45 min to an hour.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Blog Entries

I find a lot of value in cigar comparison and review threads like this. Thanks for posting your thoughts.

I have tried several 5 Vegas Gold cigars in a few different sizes. They are a very simple smoke. Nothing complex or exciting. The CT 1916 was far more entertaining. If you didn't like the first one, maybe give it one more try.

I think you picked two very different cigars to compare. I agree though, I didn't like the 1916 because of the lack of taste. I am actually smoking the 5 vegas gold torpedo right now. I am not really impressed by it either. The CAO gold is far better. As far as the Torano, try the 1959, I think you will like it better.

Thread Information