Thread: Review Pass--Reviews

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Here's my reviews, I'm going to keep them short and simple. I probably totally screwed these up. My taste buds have been a little off since getting over a sinus infection.

Cigar #7

This was a robusto size with a maduro wrapper. Construction was below average with a toothy wrapper and simple cap. The cigar started off a little harsh but settled down into notes of leather and sweet tobacco. The flavors didn't change much throughout the smoke. I did begin to pick up a little spice around halfway. The draw was a little loser than I prefer and the overall taste was a little rough around the edges.

I would say this was a from the lower price range.

Cigar #10

This was a toro sized cigar with a very dark and oily maduro wrapper. Construction was good and firm with a nice cap. This cigar started off a lot nicer than #7. From the first few puffs this cigar was dominated by flavors off well aged tobacco. It had a nice sweetness to it and a very subtle spice that complimented it very nicely. I didn't notice many changes in the flavor profile. It stayed in the medium body range for me but full flavored and very enjoyable.

I would say this is from the upper price range.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WOXOF View Post
    Here's my reviews, I'm going to keep them short and simple. I probably totally screwed these up. My taste buds have been a little off since getting over a sinus infection.

Cigar #7

This was a robusto size with a maduro wrapper. Construction was below average with a toothy wrapper and simple cap. The cigar started off a little harsh but settled down into notes of leather and sweet tobacco. The flavors didn't change much throughout the smoke. I did begin to pick up a little spice around halfway. The draw was a little loser than I prefer and the overall taste was a little rough around the edges.

I would say this was a from the lower price range.

Cigar #10

This was a toro sized cigar with a very dark and oily maduro wrapper. Construction was good and firm with a nice cap. This cigar started off a lot nicer than #7. From the first few puffs this cigar was dominated by flavors off well aged tobacco. It had a nice sweetness to it and a very subtle spice that complimented it very nicely. I didn't notice many changes in the flavor profile. It stayed in the medium body range for me but full flavored and very enjoyable.

I would say this is from the upper price range.

Survey SAYS.......

CORRECT

Cigar #7 was a Cuesta Rey Robusto #7, retail value of $3.75
    Cigar #10 was a Gurkha G3 Toro, Retail value $7.50

Nicely played
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    Survey SAYS.......

CORRECT

Cigar #7 was a Cuesta Rey Robusto #7, retail value of $3.75
    Cigar #10 was a Gurkha G3 Toro, Retail value $7.50

Nicely played
    Sweet, I may have to get some of those G3's.

Default Review on #23 and #13

Ok…Very strange review for me. I smoked both of these sticks one right after the other with an hour break (and about 3 Crown on the rocks) in between. I found both of these sticks to be VERY enjoyable and VERY similar. Although stick #13 burned a little uneven they both tasted very strong but mild.

Stick # 23 toasted nicely, once lit gave a wonderful bouquet. I enjoyed this stick down to burning my fingers. It was a bold stick with a lot of intense flavor that never turned into a harsh flavor. I was able to smoke this stick for over an hour, getting lots of length on the ash before having to tap it off. Once again, this was a VERY enjoyable stick.

Stick #13 (this is also my lucky number) also toasted nicely and gave off a more mellow bouquet then # 23. This stick burned very quickly and as stated above a little uneven.(Maybe because I had 3 crown on the rocks in me) but like I said a very enjoyable smoke. Was not able to get any length on the ash due to the fact of the quick burn but I really enjoyed this stick. It had very strong flavors of spice, mint and coffee. Let this one go out with only a quarter of a stick left. That is how satisfied I was.

I usually smoke a cigar every other day. With these two done in the same night, I haven’t had the urge to smoke for a few days now. But today is another day. I would guess that both of these sticks are of the upper end of the price range. At least they tasted that way. Plus I enjoyed the hell out of both of them!!! Really would like to know what I smoked!!!
    Last edited by Maduro Man; 03-09-2008 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Too many Crowns

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maduro Man View Post
    Ok…Very strange review for me. I smoked both of these sticks one right after the other with an hour break (and about 3 Crown on the rocks) in between. I found both of these sticks to be VERY enjoyable and VERY similar. Although stick #13 burned a little uneven they both tasted very strong but mild.

Stick # 23 toasted nicely, once lit gave a wonderful bouquet. I enjoyed this stick down to burning my fingers. It was a bold stick with a lot of intense flavor that never turned into a harsh flavor. I was able to smoke this stick for over an hour, getting lots of length on the ash before having to tap it off. Once again, this was a VERY enjoyable stick.

Stick #13 (this is also my lucky number) also toasted nicely and gave off a more mellow bouquet then # 23. This stick burned very quickly and as stated above a little uneven.(Maybe because I had 3 crown on the rocks in me) but like I said a very enjoyable smoke. Was not able to get any length on the ash due to the fact of the quick burn but I really enjoyed this stick. It had very strong flavors of spice, mint and coffee. Let this one go out with only a quarter of a stick left. That is how satisfied I was.

I usually smoke a cigar every other day. With these two done in the same night, I haven’t had the urge to smoke for a few days now. But today is another day. I would guess that both of these sticks are of the upper end of the price range. At least they tasted that way. Plus I enjoyed the hell out of both of them!!! Really would like to know what I smoked!!!
    Well...........one was from the upper range, and one from the lower. The sticks you smoked were:
    #13 Diamond Crown Max. pyramid #7
    #23 CI legends Orange label (rp)

Thanks for playing!!

Blog Entries

Talking Just about done here

and with only one set of reviews outstanding I can say this pass/contest went off without a hitch. I would like to thank all the participants for playing and keeping the pass moving right along!! Excellent job on the reviews to all as well!!

Special thanks to ChefChris for the sig-tags and to bigwhiteash for sittin' in for me while I was out.

The pass is on its way back to me now, and I will be contacting a couple of brothers who weren't involved in the pass to pick the recipient of the contents.......remember, no warning will be given so you might not want to send the wifey to the mailbox in the next week or so.

Again, thanks to all for playing!!

My reviews will be up in a day or two. Crappy weather combined with crazy work/personal life = few cigar smoking opportunities. Sorry for the delay.

Gonna have one tonight actually.

spiffy

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Well...........one was from the upper range, and one from the lower. The sticks you smoked were:
    #13 Diamond Crown Max. pyramid #7
    #23 CI legends Orange label (rp)

Thanks for playing!!

Once again, shows you how much I know about cigars. But I’ll tell you…This is what is so cool about being involved with all of my BOTLs. You learn a lot about what you don’t know and more important what you THINK you know.

You can’t judge a stick by its price! Try what people recommend and let your pallet and nose be your judge.

Thanks again Jamie for another great opportunity to try some really nice sticks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maduro Man View Post
    Once again, shows you how much I know about cigars. But I’ll tell you…This is what is so cool about being involved with all of my BOTLs. You learn a lot about what you don’t know and more important what you THINK you know.

You can’t judge a stick by its price! Try what people recommend and let your pallet and nose be your judge.

Thanks again Jamie for another great opportunity to try some really nice sticks!!!

True.

Looks like we were both tricked by that CI Legend. I would have never tried it had it not been for this pass. I thought it was an awesome smoke and have been looking into getting a box.

Thanks, Jamie for hosting this. This was a lot of fun.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Thread Information