Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Review Pass--Reviews

Blog Entries

Post Review Pass--Reviews

Okey Dokey....put your reviews from the review these pass here. Here are the rules for the reviews:
    1. List the # of the cigar being reviewed from pass list.
    2. Post reviews for both cigars in a reasonable amount of time in this thread.
    3. After both reviews are posted, you must guess the $ value of each stick.
    4. I will let you know if you are right or wrong.
    5. ChefChris will be awarding a personal sig tag for all participants. You must use the sig tag for a period of 30 days.

When all reviews are posted, a randow selection will be made from the participants in the pass and all the sticks from the pass will be theirs. There will not be an announcement of who it is........their mailbox will simply blow up one day.

Have fun!!

Ok, I smoked cigar #3 last night and here is my review. My movie of choice for this review was the last part of The Godfather Part I, and then I began The Godfather Part II.

Prelight
    Its a toro sized cigar, with a ring gauge of about 52-54. It had a nice dark wrapper to it, this fucker had no give to it what so ever, and very good construction. I would say it to be a maduro. Cut with my Xikar, the draw was a little tight but that didnt take from the experience. It had a sort of a sweet taste and smell to it.

Light
    For the size, it light pretty easily. I would say for about the the first 1/4 the dominant flavor was spice, but it wasnt over powering. It was subtle. This thing burned perfectly and had a nice color ash to it. Strong bold taste that seemed familiar, but I cant place it. Liegaro maybe? After the 1/4 the tasted seemed to smooth out some. It required some touch ups toward the end of it. Also the taste hadn't changed since the first 1/4 of the cigar. Now at this point the taste, size, and experience of this cigar all seem very familiar to me.

I may be completely off on this, but Im gona take a swing and see if I can actually guess the identity of this cigar. This cigar just reminds me soo much of a LFD L500, the whole time I was smoking it I kept thinking that was what it was.

Well I will smoke my 2nd take later today and get my review up.

I smoked cigar #8 today.

Prelight
    The cigar is a toro sized with about a 46-48 ring gauge. Again another quality constructed cigar. It was firm but had some give to it, unlike #3. It had some what of a tight draw to it

Light
    It light nice and easily. I got a sort of a sweet but "generic" flavor. This was a very simple smoke with a nice smooth taste to it. I would guess this to be more towards the mild-med side. First 1/4, had a very nice burn with a perfect ash. It had a very pleasant aroma to it. After the first 1/2, the flavor still hasnt changed at all and didnt through out the smoke.

This was a very simple one dimensional cigar, the flavor stayed the same through out the entire smoke. It was smooth and sweet. It had a perfect burn and ash the whole way through. This was a great after lunch smoke. Nice and light.

So I would have to guess Cigar #3 was around the $5 mark. And now Cigar #8, this is a bit more tricky as there were a few things that seemed to make this a less expensive cigar, but at the same time there are a few things that make me think it to be a more expensive cigar. So to compromise, I will guess #8 to around the $5 mark as well.

I would like to thank ashauler for letting me participate in this pass. It was a lot of fun and I cant wait to see how I did, along with how the rest of this pass turns out.

4. Default

I smoked cigar #2 tonight...So here is my review.

This was a well made cigar. The cap and foot were perfect. No soft spots were felt along the body of the cigar. It was a petit corona.

It clipped well. The prelight draw was perfect...Just enough resistance to show the cigar was properly rolled. The prelight smell and were of rasins or dried apples.

I lit this baby up. The first draw was accidently inhaled...I was driving down the road at work. The radio went off and I inhaled with smoke in my mouth while answering it.

I waited a minute or so and took a second draw...I was hit by a spice rush. As I smoked this cigar the spice got pretty intense. It had a leathery finish. This was a really strong cigar. I think I know what it was.

I'm gonna go out on a limb...I know my rep is on the line.

I think this is a higher end cigar...I think it's an Opus X #4.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micizike
    I smoked cigar #8 today.

Prelight
    The cigar is a toro sized with about a 46-48 ring gauge. Again another quality constructed cigar. It was firm but had some give to it, unlike #3. It had some what of a tight draw to it

Light
    It light nice and easily. I got a sort of a sweet but "generic" flavor. This was a very simple smoke with a nice smooth taste to it. I would guess this to be more towards the mild-med side. First 1/4, had a very nice burn with a perfect ash. It had a very pleasant aroma to it. After the first 1/2, the flavor still hasnt changed at all and didnt through out the smoke.

This was a very simple one dimensional cigar, the flavor stayed the same through out the entire smoke. It was smooth and sweet. It had a perfect burn and ash the whole way through. This was a great after lunch smoke. Nice and light.

So I would have to guess Cigar #3 was around the $5 mark. And now Cigar #8, this is a bit more tricky as there were a few things that seemed to make this a less expensive cigar, but at the same time there are a few things that make me think it to be a more expensive cigar. So to compromise, I will guess #8 to around the $5 mark as well.

I would like to thank ashauler for letting me participate in this pass. It was a lot of fun and I cant wait to see how I did, along with how the rest of this pass turns out.
    Yesterday 12:03 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Micizike
    Ok, I smoked cigar #3 last night and here is my review. My movie of choice for this review was the last part of The Godfather Part I, and then I began The Godfather Part II.

Prelight
    Its a toro sized cigar, with a ring gauge of about 52-54. It had a nice dark wrapper to it, this fucker had no give to it what so ever, and very good construction. I would say it to be a maduro. Cut with my Xikar, the draw was a little tight but that didnt take from the experience. It had a sort of a sweet taste and smell to it.

Light
    For the size, it light pretty easily. I would say for about the the first 1/4 the dominant flavor was spice, but it wasnt over powering. It was subtle. This thing burned perfectly and had a nice color ash to it. Strong bold taste that seemed familiar, but I cant place it. Liegaro maybe? After the 1/4 the tasted seemed to smooth out some. It required some touch ups toward the end of it. Also the taste hadn't changed since the first 1/4 of the cigar. Now at this point the taste, size, and experience of this cigar all seem very familiar to me.

I may be completely off on this, but Im gona take a swing and see if I can actually guess the identity of this cigar. This cigar just reminds me soo much of a LFD L500, the whole time I was smoking it I kept thinking that was what it was.

Well I will smoke my 2nd take later today and get my review up.
    #3 Was a TAT Exclusivo Zona Del Este $10 or so
    #8 Saint Luis Rey Reserve Especial $3-4 or so

Nice reviews. Obviously you got one from the top tier and one from the lower tier. Watch your PM's for your sig tag and thanks for playing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post

This was a well made cigar. The cap and foot were perfect. No soft spots were felt along the body of the cigar. It was a petit corona.

It clipped well. The prelight draw was perfect...Just enough resistance to show the cigar was properly rolled. The prelight smell and were of rasins or dried apples.

I lit this baby up. The first draw was accidently inhaled...I was driving down the road at work. The radio went off and I inhaled with smoke in my mouth while answering it.

I waited a minute or so and took a second draw...I was hit by a spice rush. As I smoked this cigar the spice got pretty intense. It had a leathery finish. This was a really strong cigar. I think I know what it was.

Damn, sorry about the inhale....as for the strength of the limb you're on.....we'll see when you post your second take.

Thanks to you and mizicke for posting reviews so quickly....the pass is moving right along.
    Last edited by ashauler; 02-03-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: spelling

7. Default

I smoked cigar #14 today...Here is the review.

This cigar was a churchill in size...6.25x46. It was maduro wrapped and had large veins all over the body of the cigar. The cap was a little sloppy. The rest of the cigar appeared well made with the exception of a small soft spot in the upper third. The cigar had a musty arouma.

The cut went well with no damage done during the clip. The prelight draw was a little tight. The prelight draw tasted a little salty and sweet.

I lit this cigar up and proceeded to smoke it. It burned well through the entire cigar...No need to touch it up at all.

The flavor never really impressed me. It was good but not great. It tasted of sweet tobacco that really never changed except for getting a bit stronger as the cigar got shorter...Basically it was on the mild side of medium in strength.

I'm guessing this to a $2-$4 cigar. It would be a good everyday smoke.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge

I smoked cigar #14 today...Here is the review.

This cigar was a churchill in size...6.25x46. It was maduro wrapped and had large veins all over the body of the cigar. The cap was a little sloppy. The rest of the cigar appeared well made with the exception of a small soft spot in the upper third. The cigar had a musty arouma.

The cut went well with no damage done during the clip. The prelight draw was a little tight. The prelight draw tasted a little salty and sweet.

I lit this cigar up and proceeded to smoke it. It burned well through the entire cigar...No need to touch it up at all.

The flavor never really impressed me. It was good but not great. It tasted of sweet tobacco that really never changed except for getting a bit stronger as the cigar got shorter...Basically it was on the mild side of medium in strength.

I'm guessing this to a $2-$4 cigar. It would be a good everyday smoke.
    You weren't on a limb sarge, you were firmly on the trunk.
    #2 Opus X Perfecxion X #4
    #14 Perdomo Lot 23 maduro
    Last edited by ashauler; 02-04-2008 at 09:10 AM. Reason: paste both reviews

Very impressive sarge

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    You weren't on a limb sarge, you were firmly on the trunk.
    #2 Opus X Perfecxion X #4
    #14 Perdomo Lot 23 maduro
    Well...I knew when I lit cigar #2 it had to be an Opus. Nothing else has that flavor. The only other cigar that is close are the Litto Gomez Small Batch.

Cigar #14...I had no clue as to what it was. It was not a bad cigar. It just lacked much complexity.

Blog Entries

Well...I knew when I lit cigar #2 it had to be an Opus. Nothing else has that flavor. The only other cigar that is close are the Litto Gomez Small Batch.

Cigar #14...I had no clue as to what it was. It was not a bad cigar. It just lacked much complexity.
    I figured you'd nail it when you posted your takes, being the experienced "old" guy and all.

Blog Entries

Ok, here goes my review, (or attempt at a review), of cigars #4 and #9

Cigar #9 (smoked them in this order)

5 X 50 Robusto, maduro wrapper, Very bumpy/toothy, slight yield to finger pressure, but not soft. Cut nicely with the dbl. Guillotine, draw was perfect to my liking, had a strong wood / hay taste. Lit this with a Colibri torch, no problems here.

I really don’t have much to say about this thing. I selected it because it appeared to be a Rocky Patel Edge, which I have enjoyed a few of. I gave it a chance, but it never really delivered in the flavor department. Started out with a burning hay taste, and just stayed there. I let go of it with about 1.5” remaining. UGH!

I’ll be surprised if this thing cost over $3.00

Cigar #4

I chose this one for it’s intriguing shape, 6 X 48 Toro maduro, with a slight bulge in the middle to about 50rg. Kinda looks like a snake that recently ate a rat. Not overly pronounced, just a slight curve. Very oily looking, darker than #9. with a nice triple cap. Looking at the foot, there seems to be a lot of ligero present. Prelight aroma is very sweet, almost overpowering chocolate. Same cut and light as above, although the draw was a little loose for my preference.

This is really not to my liking, the overwhelming sweetness from the prelight stayed on for 2/3 of this smoke, then got a bit harsh. I really prefer spicier cigars. The ash on this was fairly loose, and fairly dark gray for a maduro. Overall, not a BAD cigar, just not in my ballpark. I expected a stronger cigar based on appearance. I did get a slight nic-buzz, but that may be because I smoked these both in a 4 hour period.

I’m going to say this was also in the lower end price range… Maybe $4.00
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    Ok, here goes my review, (or attempt at a review), of cigars #4 and #9

Cigar #9 (smoked them in this order)

5 X 50 Robusto, maduro wrapper, Very bumpy/toothy, slight yield to finger pressure, but not soft. Cut nicely with the dbl. Guillotine, draw was perfect to my liking, had a strong wood / hay taste. Lit this with a Colibri torch, no problems here.

I really don’t have much to say about this thing. I selected it because it appeared to be a Rocky Patel Edge, which I have enjoyed a few of. I gave it a chance, but it never really delivered in the flavor department. Started out with a burning hay taste, and just stayed there. I let go of it with about 1.5” remaining. UGH!

I’ll be surprised if this thing cost over $3.00

Cigar #4

I chose this one for it’s intriguing shape, 6 X 48 Toro maduro, with a slight bulge in the middle to about 50rg. Kinda looks like a snake that recently ate a rat. Not overly pronounced, just a slight curve. Very oily looking, darker than #9. with a nice triple cap. Looking at the foot, there seems to be a lot of ligero present. Prelight aroma is very sweet, almost overpowering chocolate. Same cut and light as above, although the draw was a little loose for my preference.

This is really not to my liking, the overwhelming sweetness from the prelight stayed on for 2/3 of this smoke, then got a bit harsh. I really prefer spicier cigars. The ash on this was fairly loose, and fairly dark gray for a maduro. Overall, not a BAD cigar, just not in my ballpark. I expected a stronger cigar based on appearance. I did get a slight nic-buzz, but that may be because I smoked these both in a 4 hour period.

I’m going to say this was also in the lower end price range… Maybe $4.00
    Well......here is what you smoked:
    #9 Los Blancos maduro ($3-4)
    #4 Camacho triple maduro ($10+)

I'm sorry, and surprised, that you had such bad experiences with both smokes.

Blog Entries

well... dang!

didn't really have a bad expierience with #4, just not my preference.

I am surprised at the loosness of draw on the camacho, and the flaky ash. I really expected more based on it's appearance.

anyway... I'm batting 500
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

15. Default

I think the Camacho Triple Maduro cigars are a bit over rated. They would fit more into the $5 ranmge.

I had a triple maduro before, the only thing to me is that there seemed to be a distinct lack of flavor. It was a great cigar going by construction, burn, abundance of smoke, but it was just bland to me. Im gona pick up a 5er soon and let them set a while to see if I have a different experience with them as I quite enjoyed it, except for the no flavor part.

Ok, I've smoked these things; here goes...

#20 (Pairing: Hoegaarden)
    Pre-Light: Dark uniform color, small even veins, rich aroma. Firm feel, tightly rolled. The pre-light draw was easy but not loose.
    During Smoke: Initial flavor is surprisingly light in contrast to the rich color and aroma of the wrapper pre-light. Burn seems to be fairly even with one minor run. Picks up strength about an inch in, but maintains somewhat mild woodsy flavor. Draw is tighter than what i initially anticipated but remains fairly easy. Flavor has become smoother with medium body and some coffee undertones and some leathery notes. The flavor remains, for the most part, consistent and not all together complex. Developed some slight building spice a few inches in. Ash hung on for three inches. Finish wasn't spectacular, got a little harsh with two inches left even after a purge; but overall was a good cigar with a consistent flavor. I thought it may be a Gurkha at one point in the smoke, but my initial thought was a Torano Exodus Gold. I'll stick with my inital guess that it was a Exodus Gold, so higher end price wise. I gave it a 6/10. Also, i'd like to note that Hoegaarden pairs very well with whatever this stick was. What are these, maybe $6?

#5 (Pairing: Blue Moon)
    Pre-Light: Beautiful coloration; rich brown with a few discolorations. Very firm; tightly rolled. Somewhat mild aroma. Evenly spaces small veins with a couple large veins. Overall construction looks good but the wrapper looks a little rough.
    Durring Smoke: Initial taste is rich with medium spice. Full flavor with chocolaty notes. Burn is mostly even but a little lopsided. The spice builds somewhat, but the flavor remains consistent and rich throughout. Ash held on for an inch and a half. I gave this cigar a 9/10, and while i enjoyed it alot, my instinct is that it may be a Don Kiki Brown Label, so i'm going to guess it is in the lower price range. Around $3 or $4.

thanks for setting this up, i enjoyed it.
    Last edited by ReV; 02-09-2008 at 05:30 PM.

the suspense is killing me...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ReV View Post
    Ok, I've smoked these things; here goes...

#20 (Pairing: Hoegaarden)
    Pre-Light: Dark uniform color, small even veins, rich aroma. Firm feel, tightly rolled. The pre-light draw was easy but not loose.
    During Smoke: Initial flavor is surprisingly light in contrast to the rich color and aroma of the wrapper pre-light. Burn seems to be fairly even with one minor run. Picks up strength about an inch in, but maintains somewhat mild woodsy flavor. Draw is tighter than what i initially anticipated but remains fairly easy. Flavor has become smoother with medium body and some coffee undertones and some leathery notes. The flavor remains, for the most part, consistent and not all together complex. Developed some slight building spice a few inches in. Ash hung on for three inches. Finish wasn't spectacular, got a little harsh with two inches left even after a purge; but overall was a good cigar with a consistent flavor. I thought it may be a Gurkha at one point in the smoke, but my initial thought was a Torano Exodus Gold. I'll stick with my inital guess that it was a Exodus Gold, so higher end price wise. I gave it a 6/10. Also, i'd like to note that Hoegaarden pairs very well with whatever this stick was. What are these, maybe $6?

#5 (Pairing: Blue Moon)
    Pre-Light: Beautiful coloration; rich brown with a few discolorations. Very firm; tightly rolled. Somewhat mild aroma. Evenly spaces small veins with a couple large veins. Overall construction looks good but the wrapper looks a little rough.
    Durring Smoke: Initial taste is rich with medium spice. Full flavor with chocolaty notes. Burn is mostly even but a little lopsided. The spice builds somewhat, but the flavor remains consistent and rich throughout. Ash held on for an inch and a half. I gave this cigar a 9/10, and while i enjoyed it alot, my instinct is that it may be a Don Kiki Brown Label, so i'm going to guess it is in the lower price range. Around $3 or $4.

thanks for setting this up, i enjoyed it.
    Well, we can't have the suspense kill ya now can we. The cigars you smoked were:
    #5 Gurkah Legend
    #20 RP 1990 Torp

Both of these were from the upper price range.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Well, we can't have the suspense kill ya now can we. The cigars you smoked were:
    #5 Gurkah Legend
    #20 RP 1990 Torp

Both of these were from the upper price range.
    should have seen the RP in retrospect, but the legend... i never even suspected Gurkha on that one.

Thread Information