Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Smoker in Town

1. Default New Smoker in Town

Hey from Columbia, SC....I've been into premium cigars for...oh, lets say one month (only turned 18 in August.) I started with the drug store cheapies, but soon found a good store in town with a humidor. Still know very little about quality, taste, etc, but hopefully I can learn a little from you guys...

So far I've tried:
    RyJ's (Good)
    H. Upmann (Spicy and Good)
    Montecristo (Below average for tha price)
    CAO mX2 (Bit Tasteless)
    Helix (Good for tha price)
    Punch (Fair)
    CAO Maduro (Best so far)
    CAO Brazilia (Good)

Any suggestions for some rather unknown brands would be greatly appriciated!

Welcome from MS. One of the great things about cigars smoking is the journey. If you stick with it you will smoke hundreds of cigars. When I first started everything tasted like tobacco to me. There was good tobacco and bad tobacco. Your taste will become more refined and your experience will be even better.

Don't give up on the sticks you tried and didn't like. Give it a couple of months and try em again, you might be surprised.

Also, I think everyone here will back up the Sancho Panza Double Maduro. I also like the Extra Fuerte that I don't hear much about. Good, cheap sticks.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Blog Entries

Cool... Welcome from another BOTL from South Kakalaki

I Highly recommend checking out the Newbie Sampler Thread HERE

Its a great way to get a great variety of smokes without paying walk-in store prices.

Dennis

Yes, the Sancho Panza smokes are awesome, very affordable too!
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board from Kansas. I'll second the SP's and throw out there the Famous maduritos and Nic 3000's. I'm also a big fan of Oliva, pretty much from top to bottom of their line.

Welcome!

Try some fumidores from Holts. Quite the awesome cigar for the price, I think.

Welcome to the board. I give another recommendation to the newby sampler.

Welcome from TN!

I enjoyed trying new smokes when I first started. Although I didn't do it, the newb sampler is the best deal going.

I have a box of SP dbl maduros in the humi now. Set up a coolidor and have fun.

Sean

i would also suggest the newbie sampler. im still a noob myself but working in the industry i talk with a lot of senior aficionado's and i would suggest anything from Rocky Patel or Arturo Fuente. welcome from Cali!!!

Welcome from Houston, TX!

Typical time line of Cigar Acquisition Disorder:

1. Newbie tries cigars and likes 'em
    2. Newbie finds cigarsmokers.com
    3. Newbie tries newbie sampler
    4. Not so Newbie finds a bunch of favorites and buys boxes
    5. Not so Newbie realizes need for cooler & beads
    6. BOTL goes in on trades and passes and finds more favorites
    7. BOTL shares love of cigars with cigarsmokers.com
    8. Repeat steps 6 & 7 indefinitely

spiffy

Quote Originally Posted by spiffykyle View Post
    Welcome from Houston, TX!

Typical time line of Cigar Acquisition Disorder:

1. Newbie tries cigars and likes 'em
    2. Newbie finds cigarsmokers.com
    3. Newbie tries newbie sampler
    4. Not so Newbie finds a bunch of favorites and buys boxes
    5. Not so Newbie realizes need for cooler & beads
    6. BOTL goes in on trades and passes and finds more favorites
    7. BOTL shares love of cigars with cigarsmokers.com
    8. Repeat steps 6 & 7 indefinitely

spiffy

It's like you have known me all my life
    Believe Dat!

welcome from utah where two of the coolest guys on the board live good ol utah also do the newbie sampler you wont regret it

dustin

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you. I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”

Hi

Another welcome from Columbia, SC

I'm a newbie also. Been on here for several months now and it's a great place to be.

I've done the Newbie Sampler trade and can recommend it.

Welcome on the long slope to buying, trading, smoking, etc...

sammis

Hey from Columbia, SC....I've been into premium cigars for...oh, lets say one month (only turned 18 in August.) I started with the drug store cheapies, but soon found a good store in town with a humidor. Still know very little about quality, taste, etc, but hopefully I can learn a little from you guys...

Quote Originally Posted by Presideo View Post
    So far I've tried:
    RyJ's (Good) good thing you didn't try Macanudo's but a good smoke.
    H. Upmann (Spicy and Good) Higher on the flavor side of things.
    Montecristo (Below average for tha price) Can't really comment but wouldn't by them.
    CAO mX2 (Bit Tasteless) Not really intended for someone just starting out.
    Helix (Good for tha price) Blah. Good for the novice.
    Punch (Fair) Good Staple
    CAO Maduro (Best so far) Strong for some one starting out, but a great smoke.
    CAO Brazilia (Good) Good, but also strong.

Any suggestions for some rather unknown brands would be greatly appriciated!
    Try 601 Connecticut. Rocky Patel Edge Corojo, If you like the Cameroon rapper you might try the CX2. Two brands I would try would be Funte and Cuesta-Rey.
    This is me! Retail He$$!

14. Default

Thanks for the great recommendations guys...I'll def. try the newbie sampler once I get my money in order (just blew a tire so I gotta take care of that first...)

Right now I'm thinking of trying Sancho Panza, CX2, and maybe something in the AVO line...just finished a CAO Soprano and loved it!

Also Sammis, know any good cigar shops around downtown Columbia...I've only found The Gourmet Shop in Five Points, which has a pretty good selection, but I'm always looking for some new shops...

Also Sammis, know any good cigar shops around downtown Columbia...I've only found The Gourmet Shop in Five Points, which has a pretty good selection, but I'm always looking for some new shops...
    I live out towards Irmo so the only ones I've been to are as follows:

Modern Age Tobacco & Gifts
    Colonial Village Shopping Center
    1410 Colonial Life Blvd #200

This is on the second exit on I26 headed out of Columbia toward Spartanburg, right after the Columbia Zoo exit. John is the guy who runs the shop most of the time. There are a couple of chairs there to sit and have a smoke if you want.

The other one I go to is:
    The Tobacco Merchant
    1220 Bower Pkwy # E4,

This is just off of Harbison Blvd, kinda hard to find but a very nice shop with a nice sitting area with TV to relax and enjoy a cigar.

IM me if you want to meet up and I can show you where they are.

sammis

Welcome to the board.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Thanks for the great recommendations guys...I'll def. try the newbie sampler once I get my money in order (just blew a tire so I gotta take care of that first...)

Right now I'm thinking of trying Sancho Panza, CX2, and maybe something in the AVO line...just finished a CAO Soprano and loved it!

Welcome to the boards. My first recommendation is always the Arturo Fuente petit corona. In fact I've had a box sitting in my coolidor for close to two years now. Shoot me your address and I'll get one out to you.

18. Default

Thanks Sammis...I have some friends who play rock shows that way once in awhile so I'll def. IM ya one day to see if we can meet...

Thanks cls515 too...I'll have to hit you up on the offer!

Welcome from Alberta, Canada!
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

20. Default

Thanks for the welcome Drew...

Just tried a few more smokes today...

CAO Italiana (Not as good as the Brazilia, but not bad for one-off smoke)
    CAO Sopranos Edition (Very great, except its a bit pricy)
    CAO CX2 (Very creamy - Gotta get some more)

Sadly, they were out of AVO, but they hopefully get another shipment...

Also, if I try the newbie sampler will the dealer give me a list of the cigars beforehand?

Thread Information