Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: cigar and a drink?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ndv21 View Post
    I have not tried Macallan myself but I am big fan of scotch. My personal preference is Johnnie Walker Black Label. If I want a drink with my average cigar I will usually go with a Dewars on the rocks and a cheap smooth cigar.

Friday night unwind cigar would probably be a padron or camacho enjoying the great company of my friend Johnnie...."keep walking"
    Try a single malt......you should notice a difference, and probably never go back.

Oh, and you'll never put ice in a scotch again, either.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    Try a single malt......you should notice a difference, and probably never go back.

You know I've tried the single mat and there is something about it I just can't grasp. I do enjoy it but I keep going back to Black. Is there any specific single malt that you suggest I try?

Blog Entries

You know I've tried the single mat and there is something about it I just can't grasp. I do enjoy it but I keep going back to Black. Is there any specific single malt that you suggest I try?
    Balvenie Doublewood has been my favorite so far. Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban is pretty good to me as well.

Look here for other suggestions :
    http://www.cigarsmokers.com/showthre...ghlight=Scotch

Blog Entries

I agree, I either drink it neat or with a little bit of water - never ice.

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Blog Entries

My personal favorites, in order:

Lagavulin - has a very distinct flavor - probably not for the novice scotch drinker, but it's definitely worth a try - a bottle is a bit more of a commitment, as it's not cheap
    Oban - very smooth, more classic scotch tasting, but again, a bit expensive.
    Balvenie Doublewood - benchmark. Actually, start here. Great taste, very smooth, the bottle is pricey, but definitely worth it.
    Auchentoshan - might have a hard time finding this one, but if you do, it's another good one, too. Shouldn't be an outrageous price.
    Laphroaig - great, cheap. Actually, scratch that, it's fabulous and cheap. This should be the everyday drink of the casual scotch drinker.
    Glenlivet - good, and it's what got me hooked on scotches, but I don't reach for it so much anymore. Maybe I'm burned out on it now. I've gone through lots of bottles of it, and just don't appreciate it as much anymore. Also, I'm really only a fan of the 12 year - the 18 and 21 years don't do it for me.

There are a couple more I can't think of right now.

I should also qualify this mini-review to mention that I don't normally drink scotch with a cigar any more. I don't know, personal preference, but I find I have a hard time enjoying both at the same time, because I'm trying to pick out flavors and what-not with each of them.

I also never EVER dilute the scotch with anything - water, ice, soda, milk, whatever. I don't dilute it for the same reasons that I don't put steak sauce on a steak after it's cooked.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Balvenie Doublewood has been my favorite so far. Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban is pretty good to me as well.

Look here for other suggestions :
    http://www.cigarsmokers.com/showthre...ghlight=Scotch
    I will get me a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood in abour 2 hours and take it with me to McAllen for Thanksgiving. I will most definately post a review

Buzz and mrtr33, I will not add any ice...promise....but that is the one thing that I am a little sckeptical about. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks guys!

Blog Entries

Buzz and mrtr33, I will not add any ice...promise....but that is the one thing that I am a little sckeptical about. I'll give it a shot.

I treat good scotch like I treat 'shine - you can either drink it for an hour, or sip it all night long. You just can't drink it all night long.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

You just can't drink it all night long.
    Unless you are at a mexican wedding in the border towns....man...they drink scotch like if it was water! Usually Buchannan's 12 yr as a mixed drink with either water or club soda.

Blog Entries

Lagavulin - has a very distinct flavor - probably not for the novice scotch drinker, but it's definitely worth a try - a bottle is a bit more of a commitment, as it's not cheap
    Balvenie Doublewood - benchmark. Actually, start here. Great taste, very smooth, the bottle is pricey, but definitely worth it.
    Auchentoshan - might have a hard time finding this one, but if you do, it's another good one, too. Shouldn't be an outrageous price.
    Laphroaig - great, cheap. Actually, scratch that, it's fabulous and cheap. This should be the everyday drink of the casual scotch drinker.
    Glenlivet - good, and it's what got me hooked on scotches, but I don't reach for it so much anymore. Maybe I'm burned out on it now. I've gone through lots of bottles of it, and just don't appreciate it as much anymore. Also, I'm really only a fan of the 12 year - the 18 and 21 years don't do it for me.
    Nice little review. I am curious since I haven't tried all of these - Have you tried the Macallan and if so, where would it land in your line-up?

-Buzz

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    Nice little review. I am curious since I haven't tried all of these - Have you tried the Macallan and if so, where would it land in your line-up?

-Buzz
    Sorry, I've tried it, but I don't seek it out. Maybe it's worth another try. Any particular type of Macallan you prefer?

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Sorry, I've tried it, but I don't seek it out. Maybe it's worth another try. Any particular type of Macallan you prefer?
    I have only had the 12 year and like it for an everyday drink. I have tried a couple fingers of the Lagavulin 16 year and Laphroaig 10 year because I heard they were good baselines to start with. I didn't care for Laphroaig at all compared with Macallan, I remember it being a little harsher and I couldn't pick as many flavors from it.

Lagavulin is a little too expensive (but definitely is tasty). I think the last I looked it was around $100 a bottle.

I've been waiting for a scotch tasting night here in town. I really enjoy good wine and scotch, and cigars offer the same sort of experience - I agree with you though about combining them, it is difficult for me to focus on the cigar flavors when the drink has them too.

-Buzz

Blog Entries

Lagavulin is a little too expensive (but definitely is tasty). I think the last I looked it was around $100 a bottle.
    It might be your liquor tax laws. I've seen it around here for around $70.

I've been waiting for a scotch tasting night here in town. I really enjoy good wine and scotch, and cigars offer the same sort of experience - I agree with you though about combining them, it is difficult for me to focus on the cigar flavors when the drink has them too.
    I've been enjoying Ports with the cigars, or sometimes like an irish whiskey.

Why wait on someone else to come up with the scotch tasting? Why not start it up yourself? Someone is bound to take you up on your offer - introduce a bar owner to the B&M owner, or vice-versa.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

I've been enjoying Ports with the cigars, or sometimes like an irish whiskey.

Why wait on someone else to come up with the scotch tasting? Why not start it up yourself? Someone is bound to take you up on your offer - introduce a bar owner to the B&M owner, or vice-versa.
    For our honeymoon my wife and I drove up Highway 1 and went to Sonoma to do some wine tasting. We brought home a couple dozen bottles, one of which was a port from Loxton. The winery buys grapes from other vineyards, which I don't normally like - but they sure make a good port. The owner is from Australia and was really nice. I would love to break that port out this winter to enjoy with a cigar, but the wife says it has to be opened for a "special" occasion...

Good idea, I'll suggest the scotch tasting idea with my favorite local brewery here (Nimbus - www.nimbusbeer.com). Side note if anyone finds themselves in Tucson I highly recommend the Oatmeal Stout from Nimbus - let me know when you are here and I'll buy the first round.

-Buzz

I started with Dewars, and decided I didn't like scotch.
    Macallan's has changed my mind.
    I may have to try the Black label next!

Buzz, I am afraid to taste the 18 y/o. I may like it!!

I will do a search, but along these same lines.....has anyone tried Basil Hayden?
    A guy I was drinking with last night said I should try it.
    Last edited by VictorMJR66; 11-25-2009 at 11:27 PM.

Blog Entries

My personal favorites, in order:

There are a couple more I can't think of right now.

I should also qualify this mini-review to mention that I don't normally drink scotch with a cigar any more. I don't know, personal preference, but I find I have a hard time enjoying both at the same time, because I'm trying to pick out flavors and what-not with each of them.

I also never EVER dilute the scotch with anything - water, ice, soda, milk, whatever. I don't dilute it for the same reasons that I don't put steak sauce on a steak after it's cooked.
    I too like the Islays more than most other single malts. Talisker is a nice one too.

I love Ardbeg, Caol Ila and I managed to get my hands on a bottle of Port Ellen which is FANTASTIC! My favorite (and most the most ridiculously expensive bottle in my collection) is Ardbeg "Lord of the Isles" which is almost impossible to get these days. I also have a 30yo Bowmore kicking around here. A less peaty Islay is Bunnahabhain and I have a bottle of that as well. It's much lighter than the regular big-name Islays like Lagavulin and Laphroaig.

Earlier this evening, I had a few fingers of Ardbeg Uigeadial. At 108 proof, I can't drink it neat, I have to drop in an ice cube or two.

Bruichladdich is the only Islay I've never tried (well I also haven't had the new ones, Kilchoman and Port Charlotte since I don't think they've been around long enough to sell any product yet).
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

I just bought my first bottle of Zaya rum.
    Wow!
    A very nice, smooth rum. Sweet but not too sweet. I haven't tried it with a cigar yet, but it will be a rebuy just for sipping either way.

Thanks cigarsarge, and "search."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    I too like the Islays more than most other single malts. Talisker is a nice one too.

I love Ardbeg, Caol Ila and I managed to get my hands on a bottle of Port Ellen which is FANTASTIC! My favorite (and most the most ridiculously expensive bottle in my collection) is Ardbeg "Lord of the Isles" which is almost impossible to get these days. I also have a 30yo Bowmore kicking around here. A less peaty Islay is Bunnahabhain and I have a bottle of that as well. It's much lighter than the regular big-name Islays like Lagavulin and Laphroaig.

Earlier this evening, I had a few fingers of Ardbeg Uigeadial. At 108 proof, I can't drink it neat, I have to drop in an ice cube or two.

Bruichladdich is the only Islay I've never tried (well I also haven't had the new ones, Kilchoman and Port Charlotte since I don't think they've been around long enough to sell any product yet).
    Thanks for the insight. I doubt I'll ever get the opportunity to drink some of those rarer bottles. Good to know, though. Given the opportunity to drink a 108 proof scotch, I don't know what I'd do in regards to dilution.

Who makes that Port Ellen you were mentioning? Is that from the Caol Ila line? Is there a year of Caol Ila you prefer? I've never had anything from that distillery. I have found that I don't always prefer the older whiskeys - I much prefer the Glenlivet 12 year over, say, the 21 year or something like that. Just my personal preference, but then again, I've only been drinking scotch for about 10 years now - pretty much a newb in that department.

My parents just got back from England/Scotland and toured the Glengoyne distillery there. They brought me back a bottle. It distinguishes itself from others by claiming it air-dries it's barley rather than drying the barley with peat smoke. But sometimes, when done right, I like that smokey taste. I resisted the urge to open up the bottle and try some - it was really late, and I was really tired. Highland malts are hit-or-miss with me: I enjoy Oban and Dalwhinnie - Dalmore and Glenmorangie, not so much.
    Last edited by mrtr33; 12-07-2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: I can't spell.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Had some Balvenie 10 year last night - not bad at all. A little too sweet for me (honey taste), but goes good with a cigar.

-Buzz

Blog Entries

Had some Balvenie 10 year last night - not bad at all. A little too sweet for me (honey taste), but goes good with a cigar.

-Buzz
    10 year? Was it Founders Reserve?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    10 year? Was it Founders Reserve?
    Yessir. My wife really liked it - her exact quote was "this is way better than that other stuff you drink".

-Buzz

Thread Information