Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: cigar and a drink?

Blog Entries

I now only have two, depending on the mood:

Coffee - very strong, sometimes chicory, sometimes iced, and with heavy whipping cream.

Port - my favorite so far is Fonseca Bin 27. I have, in the past, enjoyed Jonesey, but I find it a bit too sweet for my tastes. I need to try some more.

I used to enjoy scotch with a cigar, and still like scotch, but I find that I can't enjoy either to the fullest together, as much as I enjoy them separately.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post

I used to enjoy scotch with a cigar, and still like scotch, but I find that I can't enjoy either to the fullest together, as much as I enjoy them separately.
    I feel the same way, I always wind up focusing more on one than the other. I'll still have a cigar with scotch, but I make sure it's a yard gar for blowing smoke. Anything good, and I keep it separate.

I bought a bottle of port last night for the online herf. Not really a wine drinker and never had port before. I purchased a bottle of Cockburn's Fine Ruby for about $13. Definitely wasn't bad. I still prefer beer but I might buy a bottle or two more of port and keep in the cellar.

I definitely felt a little more refined smoking a cigar and drinking port. Now I just need a good smoking outfit.
    Each day I break my previous record of consecutive days alive.

Mornings - Irish Coffee - splash of Bushmills, Baileys, and a little brown sugar

Afternoon - Dark beers . . . I hate making love in a canoe beer . . .

Evenings - I prefer premium Bourbons to Scotch - Maker's Mark, 1792, Woodford Reserve, Elijah Craig, Basil Hayden, Knob Creek, etc. Or Irish, like Tully's, or Black Bush, or Jameson's. Just not a big scotch drinker.

I am, however, going to try port . . . about the only wine I really like is muscadine wine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TravPSU View Post
    I bought a bottle of port last night for the online herf. Not really a wine drinker and never had port before. I purchased a bottle of Cockburn's Fine Ruby for about $13. Definitely wasn't bad. I still prefer beer but I might buy a bottle or two more of port and keep in the cellar.

I definitely felt a little more refined smoking a cigar and drinking port. Now I just need a good smoking outfit.
    Don't know about the smoking outfit, or that Cockburn's.

Try: Fonseca Bin 27, Six Grapes, almost anything by Sandeman (the cheap stuff is fine) or Jonsey. All of those bottles can be found in the $10 - $25 range, aren't too sweet, and should give you a good start to port. I find it a really nice complement to a cigar.

Avoid Christian Brothers.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by TravPSU
    Now I just need a good smoking outfit.

Huh. And here I thought I was the only one who had a secret longing to own a smoking jacket.

Can anyone recommend a good, dry to semi-dry port? All this talk of it has got me wanting to try some, but I can't really get into the sweeter wines.
    I have made it a rule never to smoke more that one cigar at a time.
    Mark Twain

MRTR, I'm with you on Ports and its place to be enjoyed with a good quality cigar. I love tryin new combiatons almost as muc has I love my first stick of a new line or that fisrt sip of a vintage I've heard a lot about but never had the pleasure to nip at.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.”
    - George Burns

“I have to laugh when I think of the first cigar, because it was probably just a bunch of rolled up tobacco leaves”
    - Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    Don't know about the smoking outfit, or that Cockburn's.

Try: Fonseca Bin 27, Six Grapes, almost anything by Sandeman (the cheap stuff is fine) or Jonsey. All of those bottles can be found in the $10 - $25 range, aren't too sweet, and should give you a good start to port. I find it a really nice complement to a cigar.

Avoid Christian Brothers.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to look for those the next time i stop by the state store.
    Each day I break my previous record of consecutive days alive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Galvanicfish View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good, dry to semi-dry port? All this talk of it has got me wanting to try some, but I can't really get into the sweeter wines.
    Most ports are sweet wines, although not always. There are, however, some much sweeter than others. I know that Graham's Six Grapes makes a smaller bottle than the traditional 750 ml size (I want to say it's a 375ml) but it is a sweeter port. So far, the driest sweet port I've tried is the Fonseca Bin 27.

Then again, I drink the port because it's sweet. I don't want anything too sweet, but I enjoy a sweet beverage with my cigars. With dinner, I hardly ever drink sweet wines, as I prefer dry dark red wines. Then again, I never drink port with dinner, either.

I can't speak from experience, but I would imagine the white ports would be drier. You may also want to ask someone at your local liquor or wine store if they have any recommendations for you.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

DrDeuss Guest

Ice cold Dr.Pepper for me! Mmmm

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DrDeuss View Post
    Ice cold Dr.Pepper for me! Mmmm
    Cool. Why not post a little intro thread so we can get to know you better?
    Welcome to the board.

DrDeuss Guest

Thanks for the tip ashauler, I'll do that now.

coffee or ice water most of the time.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Whetever happened to Coke Blak? Fuggin stuff was great with a cigar. Anyone back east have access to Manhattan Special Espresso Soda willing to trade for cigars?
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

This weekend I paired a Romeo y Julieta Reserve Real with a Long Island Iced Tea.

I don't have a lot of experience to go on, so I don't know if it was the drink or the cigar, but that was the most I've ever enjoyed a cigar.

No longer just south of the middle of no where! Now in Clearwater Florida.
    Blog Entries

I enjoyed a cao itallia and a starbucks Carmel frapachino today at a very vice establishment in Salem Oregon. Headed to the coast for a conference. Loved the itallia! Went to place called avva.
    Just another day at the office!

Blog Entries

I had a Rocky Patel vintage 90 with a decent Cabernet that seemed to pair pretty nicely. I also tried some brandy with a Camacho 10 year which was ok, but I think it would have been better with a cab.

Since I finally finished off the bottle of brandy I had in the cabinet for almost a year I finally have room for a bottle of Macallan... just can't decide between the 18 year and the CS.

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

I was at a going away party last night, and had a glass of Macallans 12 year old scotch on the rocks. A very nice scotch. Woodsy and smokey flavored. I may have to buy a bottle to try with a smoke.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VictorMJR66 View Post
    I was at a going away party last night, and had a glass of Macallans 12 year old scotch on the rocks. A very nice scotch. Woodsy and smokey flavored. I may have to buy a bottle to try with a smoke.
    Yeah I dig the Macallan, the 12 year is great. I have been trying to find a decently priced 18 year but I think I will end up going the 12 route to save some cash. I probably won't be able to discern the subtle differences in tastes between them anyway.

Costco has bottles for only $45 I think - great price.

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    Yeah I dig the Macallan, the 12 year is great. I have been trying to find a decently priced 18 year but I think I will end up going the 12 route to save some cash. I probably won't be able to discern the subtle differences in tastes between them anyway.

Costco has bottles for only $45 I think - great price.

-Buzz
    I have not tried Macallan myself but I am big fan of scotch. My personal preference is Johnnie Walker Black Label. If I want a drink with my average cigar I will usually go with a Dewars on the rocks and a cheap smooth cigar.

Friday night unwind cigar would probably be a padron or camacho enjoying the great company of my friend Johnnie...."keep walking"

Thread Information