Thread: Keeping cigars while in a desert climate

1. Default Keeping cigars while in a desert climate

and do not have access to distilled water. What should I do?

First let me introduce myself, my name is Lee and I am new to this website. I have been smoking cigars off and on, but became more of a cigar smoker with in the past few months. My first cigar I remember smoking was an Onyx and liked it. Now, I have noticed that I prefer cigars made from darker tobacco.

My question is this. I am currently overseas in a desert climate and ordered a bunch of cigars. I know that distilled water shold be used, but I do not have access to distilled water over here. I ordered some of those humidity pillows from cigar.com and will be using those. Any advice, information, or assitance woudl be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    patriot1st.

Welcome to the board. If you don't have any access to distilled water don't sweat it if all you are using it for is to hydrate the water pillows. Just use bottled water. The problem with using non-distilled water comes when you use it for the humidity beads or the florist foam in traditional humidifiers. I think bottled water will be ok in your case. What are you keeping the cigars in? Humidor or tupperware.

you could also just filter the water, as i believe (correct me if i am wrong) that the main problem with tap water is the mineral content. sounds like you probably don't have access to filter either, but i know that alot of filters employ charcoal so you could run the water through that.
    Mark 8:36

Could you not just distill the water yourself? It's really simple. Just boil it and collect the steam then let it condense back into water.

Welcome from west Texas. The pillows work pretty well - where you are, those with some kind of plastic container like tupperware will probably get you by. Plastic ware because it seals so well. As here'sjohny indicated, one of the main things about using distilled water is to keep mineral build-up out of your hydrating system. Since you're not doing long term storage, and water pillows will eventually be thrown out, distilled water isn't really necessary. Use the cleanest water you can get and call it good. If you're feeling purist, distilling your own, like shelby said, would be pretty easy.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by WOXOF View Post
    Welcome to the board. If you don't have any access to distilled water don't sweat it if all you are using it for is to hydrate the water pillows. Just use bottled water. The problem with using non-distilled water comes when you use it for the humidity beads or the florist foam in traditional humidifiers. I think bottled water will be ok in your case. What are you keeping the cigars in? Humidor or tupperware.

Thanks for all of the replies guys I appreciate. As for the bottled water I will use that, we have plenty of that over here. I don't have any cigars yet, I had to order some. The ones I ordered are coming in a glass jar. I figured that I could use a humidor pillow in that. As for the ones I already have at home, my wife is going to send me my xtreme humidor I have at home filled with my cigars. If I have to, I may just buy a tubberware and be done with it.

Thanks again. If anyone on this board is in the IZ look me up. Talk to you later.

patriotfirst

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board from Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by patriotfirst View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies guys I appreciate. As for the bottled water I will use that, we have plenty of that over here. I don't have any cigars yet, I had to order some. The ones I ordered are coming in a glass jar. I figured that I could use a humidor pillow in that. As for the ones I already have at home, my wife is going to send me my xtreme humidor I have at home filled with my cigars. If I have to, I may just buy a tubberware and be done with it.

Thanks again. If anyone on this board is in the IZ look me up. Talk to you later.

patriotfirst
    Maybe a stupid question but what is the "iz". If you have some 50 cal ammo cans laying around, I remember seeing where some soldiers cleaned one out real good and lined it with spanish cedar and made a kick ass humidor for next to nothing.
    Last edited by WOXOF; 01-03-2008 at 01:10 AM.

Welcome from VA. If you are using water-pillows, no need for distilled water. Since water-pillows are temporary humidification devices, you don' need to worry about mineral buildup.

Andrew

Blog Entries

Welcome from South Kakalaki

I think I like the .50 cal ammo can idea! In fact, I think I'll head over to the surplus store and look into this further. That would make a Great camping humidor.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by WOXOF View Post
    Maybe a stupid question but what is the "iz". If you have some 50 cal ammo cans laying around, I remember seeing where some soldiers cleaned one out real good and lined it with spanish cedar and made a kick ass humidor for next to nothing.

IZ is short for "international zone" also known as the Green Zone. As for empty .50 cal cans, they are a little short on those as well as the 5.56 cans. Besides, I would rather have the soldiers have them (to hold their ammo in) than use it for a temp cigar humidor. Ammo is much more important over here than cigars...

Funkycold, thanks for the info. I didnt think about that(pillows), but it makes a lot of sense. I am from VA as well and used to work up near your area about 6 months ago or so.

Take care guys..
    patriot1st

An Otterbox, Otterbox knock-off, or any container that seals with an "O" ring is great for keeping moisture and light out or in. Lots of military and industrial equipment comes in these types of cases. A supply guy somewhere should be able to hook you up. Either that or order online. As far as humidification is concerned, I wouldn't worry about using distilled water in a field environment.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Quote Originally Posted by patriotfirst View Post
    IZ is short for "international zone" also known as the Green Zone. As for empty .50 cal cans, they are a little short on those as well as the 5.56 cans. Besides, I would rather have the soldiers have them (to hold their ammo in) than use it for a temp cigar humidor. Ammo is much more important over here than cigars...

Take care guys..
    patriot1st
    Good point.

Here's the thread I was talking about if anyone want's to hit a surplus store.

Not to sharpshoot or anything but IZ is actually in reference to all of Iraq. Ive been there twice and I am pretty sure thats what it means. I had a few cigars over there and keeping them with bottled water worked really well. The otter boxes work awesome. Try hitting your medics up for one if you have a hard time finding one. We kept our narcotics in them and allways have a spare or two. I know I had more of those than I needed. WHat branch of the service are you in? Stay safe man. For me; Iraq=tax free pay=lots of cigars!

Just found out I am leaving for the US army Ranger School on Sunday. So that translates into 3 months without a cigar But I have a ghengis khan as long as my arm for when I graduate
    Last edited by JHAYES6405; 02-05-2008 at 09:12 PM.

Thread Information