Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little advice

Default A little advice

I am currently finishing school in the spring and have started looking at jobs.

I have on informal offer. ie: after interviewing he emailed me stating that he would like to offer me a job and if I accept he will have HR send out a formal offer. I haven't said yes or no yet.

I also have went through the interview process with another company who IMO is slightly more desirable then the company who already offered me a job. The two jobs are basically identical just with different companies.

The problem is I did my second interview/field trip with them on January 7-9. During the interview they said they would get back to me within 2 weeks, "could me more, could be less".

I have emailed the recruiter twice. Once after 3 weeks, and again last night now that it is coming up to 4 weeks.

I did however get an email from my old boss saying that he was called for a reference last week, and that it sounded positive.

My question would be, how long should I wait before calling the recruiter? He hasn't answered any of my emails, and if I am not offered this job I will gladly take job #1.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Blog Entries

I would make contact every Monday and Friday. I would find it odd for them not to have news after 4 weeks, positive or negative. Especially if they had a position open.

Good Luck
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    I would make contact every Monday and Friday. I would find it odd for them not to have news after 4 weeks, positive or negative. Especially if they had a position open.

Good Luck
    Thanks man. The only thing keeping me from busting their door down is the fact that they called my references last week.

I'd contact the individual immediately and tell them in no uncertain terms that they are your first choice but you have another offer in your field that you have been holding and you need to give them an answer. Furthermore, you are anxtious to being working, bla bla bla. If your feeling ballsy give them a deadline of something like Friday at noon to respond.

Blog Entries

Boy, that's a toughy alright. If I were in your shoes, and the one job was just slightly more desirable than the other......given comparable salaries........I would probably take the one that has been offered. Even if you accept the position, it can't hurt to check in with the recruiter every now and then regarding the other position.....who knows, if you are already employed and happy, perhaps they would sweeten their deal to win you away.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    snip

if you are already employed and happy, perhaps they would sweeten their deal to win you away.

Excellent point. A judge who I've know since I was a child, used to be a law partner of my dad and my CCD teacher, advised me never to ask what a job paid and never devulge what I make during an interview. Just phrase it like "this is a highly reputible orgainization. I am sure, given my current employment, that whatever is offered will be appropriate given the circumstances"

I tried it once and you could see the shift in HR's mindset from "We have a job that he wants" to "We have a job, let try to get him to fill it"

I didn't take the job because it would have added two hours to my daily 15 min. commute but it was a good experience.

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    I'd contact the individual immediately and tell them in no uncertain terms that they are your first choice but you have another offer in your field that you have been holding and you need to give them an answer. Furthermore, you are anxtious to being working, bla bla bla. If your feeling ballsy give them a deadline of something like Friday at noon to respond.

Tyler gives great advice there Drew. I even agree with the "ballsy" part, but be careful how you word that. Personally, I'd put that back on Company #1 and tell #2 that you HAVE to get back to Company 1 by that time & date.

Personally, if a company is jacking off that bad getting back to me and returning my inquiries, I'd have to question whether I want to work for them anyway!!!
    Last edited by Newfie; 02-07-2008 at 10:27 AM.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    Agree 100%. You are holding the cards here. What's the worst that can happen, you have to take the 2nd job? You are in a very good position. With the "maybe more, maybe less" and the fact that the guy is not returning your calls, I mighyt even rethink my priorities.

Congratulations on the job offer.

My experience is that if it's been over 4 weeks since your interview, the chances you will get a job offer are diminishing.

But it's all about negotiation. Call them up and tell them your situation, and like someone else said, tell them you are about to take another job offer. If they really want you, you will either get someone on the line right away or a swift call back. If not, then they're not all that concerned and I would just take the first job offer.

And if you don't have to sign a non-compete, then no worries - if you take the job with the first company, and two weeks later the second calls and offers, you can always jump ship. You will make some enemies if you do so, but it's always an option.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Well, thanks guys. I tried to call the recruiter a couple of times this morning and he was out of his office.

In this instance it is a matter of a poor or overworked recruiter, not a poor company. These two companies are the largest of their type in North America and possibly the World.

Funny thing is I got an offer from the company this afternoon. The salary is about 30% above the offer that I was sitting on, and it is in a better location with much better stock options and benefits. I just declined the offer that I was sitting on, and have accepted my new offer.

It sure feels good to finally be starting a new career. I'll definitely be smoking something special tonight.

Congratulations!
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Congratulations on the new gig!! Can I ask who you are now working for?

spiffy

Quote Originally Posted by spiffykyle View Post
    Congratulations on the new gig!! Can I ask who you are now working for?

spiffy
    Thanks. I am going to be working for the World's largest oilfield service company. Starts with an "S".

Blog Entries

Congrats!

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
    Tyler gives great advice there Drew. I even agree with the "ballsy" part, but be careful how you word that. Personally, I'd put that back on Company #1 and tell #2 that you HAVE to get back to Company 1 by that time & date.

Personally, if a company is jacking off that bad getting back to me and returning my inquiries, I'd have to question whether I want to work for them anyway!!!
    I agree the only difference is I would ask them for a deadline because of your offer. stating that you really want to work for their company but have a very interesting offer and its is your second choice and if they are not interested appreciate their time but you would need to take the second and do not wont to lose it. If they will not then I would question whether that is really a could company to work for.
    PS I speak from expedience on the hiring side not HR but the decision maker

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    I agree the only difference is I would ask them for a deadline because of your offer. stating that you really want to work for their company but have a very interesting offer and its is your second choice and if they are not interested appreciate their time but you would need to take the second and do not wont to lose it. If they will not then I would question whether that is really a could company to work for.
    PS I speak from expedience on the hiring side not HR but the decision maker
    Apparently the delay was due to the decision maker being on holidays. A heads-up would be nice, but at least there was a valid reason.

Congratulations! Just a heads up to anyone out there looking to move into a different company or getting out of school and just starting out:

If a company doesn't give you a FORMAL letter, nothing is certain. So you can tell them yes, but until they actually have that signed formal letter, you can do whatever you want and they can do whatever they want.

My brother and GF work in HR, and they've seen cases where people accepted offers, but then the day they were supposed to start working, they EMAIL not even freaking calling, EMAIL the company and say they were offered more money by their current company and will be declining working for them. Talk about BS! BUT, no law/rule against rescinding an agreed offer letter. They'll just keep records that you were an asshat and if you were ever to apply to that company again, it'll be on file.

Sick world, but you know what, sometimes you need to be aggressive, cuz you take care of yourself first, not the company and/or your co-workers, you first.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post
    Well, thanks guys. I tried to call the recruiter a couple of times this morning and he was out of his office.

In this instance it is a matter of a poor or overworked recruiter, not a poor company. These two companies are the largest of their type in North America and possibly the World.

Funny thing is I got an offer from the company this afternoon. The salary is about 30% above the offer that I was sitting on, and it is in a better location with much better stock options and benefits. I just declined the offer that I was sitting on, and have accepted my new offer.

It sure feels good to finally be starting a new career. I'll definitely be smoking something special tonight.

Sweet Bro. Congrats

Blog Entries

SWEEEEEET NECTAR

Congratulations

What did you end up smoking??
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    SWEEEEEET NECTAR

Congratulations

What did you end up smoking??
    Boli GM. They are finally starting to draw a little nicer.

Thread Information