Thread: need help with my coolador

Default need help with my coolador

i recently bought beads for it and the rh is at 72%. the beads i bought are 65%. i need a way to fix it.

i have more than enough beads. i'm going to try to blow dry them but i would like more suggestions.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

Leave it open for a few hours?

Blog Entries

Here's a suggestion, and something I have done a couple of times. Take some of the cedar spacers that come in boxes......put them in the oven on 200 for an hour or so to dry them out,let them cool down.....then put them in your cooler with your beads and they'll help remove some of the extra moisture. If you've had the wood outside of a humi or cooler for a while, you can even skip the oven part and just put them directly in the cooler.

Blog Entries

How long ago did you put the beads in there? I think they need some time to absorb exess humidity.

if it's just recently, then what ashauler said would speed things up. you could remove all wood from the cooler for a while, it acts as a buffer, and may be holding moisture from your previous humidifying device. Then see if humidity stabilizes at 65. maybe they sent you 70% beads?
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

i'll try those ideas.

but i just checked the bottom of the coolador and there were about 6 humi-care packs. i took them out and i'll check it tomorrow.
    Albert Einstein

bigwhiteash, the beads have been in for a week
    Albert Einstein

Ive had the same problem with my cooler since I set it up in December. It usually stays at around 70%-72%. If I let it drop to around 65% the beads will be completely white. I spent the better part of the end of Dec and beginning of Jan messing around with it, salt testing my hygrometer, leaving the lid open, drying out the beads, and all to no avail.

I think it maybe due to the fact that its a 120qt and I only have a few boxes in there atm. Ive since begun not to worry about it and spray the beads every so often and it brings it back up to 70%. Im guessing that once I get more in there the Rh will start to even out to where its supposed to be.

But on a side note, I was wondering should I maybe just let it drop to 65% and see if it stays there even though the beads are completely white?
    Last edited by Mizicke5273; 02-13-2008 at 03:36 PM.

1. If your hygrometer is digital and salt testing shows it to be accurate, I wouldn't worry about what color the beads are so long as the rH is where it is suppose to be.

2. If you hygrometer is analog, I'd buy a digital, then go back to step 1.

Thread Information