Thread: Lighting up

Question Lighting up

Greetings to all you cigar pros.
    I thought I might ask a typical newbie question to see what you guys generally recommend for lighting up a fine cigar.
    Real quick, some background on my smoking preferences: Until recently, I have never paid too much attention to cigar quality or brands, strength, etc. Mostly, I would buy a cigar for a round of golf or we might get into a few at a NASCAR race. Basically, a very casual smoker.
    Anyway, as I have began to give this form of relaxation the attention it deserves, I have noticed that one of the things that can greatly impact my impression of a smoke is the lighting of the cigar and the first few draws.
    I wonder if you guys have certain procedures or things you do to get off on the right foot.
    Thanks for your help.
    I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Winston Churchill

Weldon

Make sure you have a lighter with a nice hot flame, torch lighters are wonderful. I have found that you don't want to skimp too much on lighters. I bought a few cheap torches and they just didn't cut the mustard. Spend a few bucks and finally got a decent Colibri and it has done a great job for me. Get good fluid too. As far as lighting, I toast mine first and then light and draw rotating the cigar as I do this to get an even light.
    "If your wife doesn't like the aroma of your cigar - change your wife."
    Zino Davidoff

Now that I know what they are:
    +1 Termite
    +1 Raisin

I prefer the longer wooden matches. Once you strike it, you can hold the cigar at a 45degree angle where the tip almost touches the flame, but not quite. When you have the right distance, you can see a bit of blue come from the flame and gently light the cigar. I don't think it matters that much but that is my favorite.

Columbus/Canton, OH (home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by WeldonSmokin View Post
    Greetings to all you cigar pros.
    I thought I might ask a typical newbie question to see what you guys generally recommend for lighting up a fine cigar.
    Real quick, some background on my smoking preferences: Until recently, I have never paid too much attention to cigar quality or brands, strength, etc. Mostly, I would buy a cigar for a round of golf or we might get into a few at a NASCAR race. Basically, a very casual smoker.
    Anyway, as I have began to give this form of relaxation the attention it deserves, I have noticed that one of the things that can greatly impact my impression of a smoke is the lighting of the cigar and the first few draws.
    I wonder if you guys have certain procedures or things you do to get off on the right foot.
    Thanks for your help.

I found a great link that has a few different techniques for lighting with different lighters and matches, including the long cigar match method mentioned by Cls515 (that seems like a perfect way to do it if you're patient).

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...tid=1078745909

enjoy.

OK guys, thanks.
    i just got a Colibri torch lighter. It came empty, so I need to fill it up before I can use it. That would appear to be the ticket. I'll try toasting it some before firing-up.
    Mike: Thanks for the link. I just love the stuff one can find on this here Internet thang.
    A couple weeks ago, I was in a cigar bar that used some very slender strips of cedar to light our cigars. I had never heard of that method being used before, so that inspired me ask you guys if there is a preferred way.
    I guess the main thing is to get it going good and evenly, then sit back and enjoy.
    I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Winston Churchill

Weldon

The cedar strips is the "old school" gentlemanly way to light a cigar. If you use a match, just make sure all the sulfur has burned off before you apply flame to stick, or you'll get a nasty aroma/taste. And don't use a zippo type lighter. The fuel used in zippos will also impart an odd taste.

I use a cheap single flame colibri torch, or a disposable bic, and toast the foot before lighting. You don't want to char the cigar by lighting it too fast or you'll get a really nasty taste for the first few puffs.

When buying fuel for your lighter, try and get the really good stuff. Bad fuel will gunk up your lighter and render it useless. Do a search on the board and you'll find plenty of advice about fuel and re-filling lighters.

spiffy

I'll tell you how I've been lighting mine. First off, do not cut the cigar first. I grab about 3 matches and begin toasting the foot with the first match while holding it just above the flame. The idea is to light the cigar without having to draw on it. It usually takes me 3-4 matches. When you start seeing the white ash starting to build, then you know it's lit. Then you cut the cap and enjoy a nicely lit cigar without the harsh taste that you sometimes get when you first light a stick. Works great.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

in the same link above - http://link.brightcove.com/services/...tid=1078745909

go to the video titled Three Matches and it will show chefchris's way of lighting up.

i personally dont like to draw on the cigar with the flame at the end of it. it heats up the cigar and makes it bitter for me. i usually just toast it with a lighter or matches until the end is white then draw on it to get it going. to me it keeps the cigar cooler and better tasting.

Quote Originally Posted by victory01 View Post

go to the video titled Three Matches and it will show chefchris's way of lighting up.

i personally dont like to draw on the cigar with the flame at the end of it. it heats up the cigar and makes it bitter for me. i usually just toast it with a lighter or matches until the end is white then draw on it to get it going. to me it keeps the cigar cooler and better tasting.
    Ya, I saw that after I posted. Phil down at the smoke stack showed that to me about a month ago. I think he read it in CA, so there ya go.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Quote Originally Posted by victory01 View Post

I saw that video a while ago and tried it out. I've been lighting up that way recently. But most the times I just use my torch instead of matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Kass View Post
    I saw that video a while ago and tried it out. I've been lighting up that way recently. But most the times I just use my torch instead of matches.
    I've tried it a few times as well.... it seems to make the smoking experience better but i cant say if its from the 'purity' of that lighting technique (as they claim) or just because it makes you slow things down and really focus on enjoying your cigar; maybe a combination of both.

Thread Information