Default Bigger Better?

Come on then...
    Does size ensure quality?...
    Ha ha!!

Quote Originally Posted by madmak View Post
    Come on then...
    Ha ha!!
    At the risk of sounding.. ah, funny, I like the bigger ring gauges better, all other things being equal.

Blog Entries

absolutely not
    dog turds come in all sizes

larger cigars tend to burn cooler, for obvious reasons, while coronas, lonsdales, etc, have a higher wrapper / filler ratio, so you generally get more flavor from the smaller rings.

I have a thing for the figurados, because, (and I forget who mentioned it on here), it takes a bit more skill to roll, so they're rolled by more experienced torcedores.

My thoughts, anyway!

-Dennis-
    Last edited by bigwhiteash; 02-20-2008 at 09:23 AM.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by King Catfish View Post
    At the risk of sounding.. ah, funny, I like the bigger ring gauges better, all other things being equal.
    Nice one .. I agrree although i,me just starting out. I,ve been smoking Villiger No 7 at work in my short coffee breaks.. Any views?

Blog Entries

I have migrated to the Toro and smaller sizes mainly although I have all sizes in my stash. Some smokes I like better in the bigger rg's, but they seem to be getting fewer and fewer. I've really gotten in a PC/corona groove lately, with a few lanceros thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by madmak View Post
    Come on then...
    Ha ha!!
    I sure hope so, this was what I got for my birthday last year...

The cigarette was my wife's there just for comparison.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chiefcigarette.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	752   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smokingthecheif.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	753  
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvin View Post

My cheif is still sitting in the humi. Not sure when to smoke it! LOL

I used to only smoke churchills etc....then moved onto topredo/toros. Lately I have been hitting up lanceros, londsdales, PCs, Corona, CG, etc....

I realized I get just as much or mroe flavor from the smaller RG. Although you can't smoke them as fast or they will get hot. A large cigar just doesn't do it for me anymore, I usually get bored of it due to lack of complexity. The last Large cigar I smoked was an 03 Siglo VI...now that one maintained my interest.

It all comes down to taste. I like the perfecto shape best as the flavor changes to me more because of the shape. But I also really like the grand consul from JdN. I'm into perfecto and fat robusto's at the moment. This could change. When I started I liked churchill's and it use to take me about 2 hours to smoke one. Now I still have a churchill now and again but it doesn't take me that long. I smoke much faster and tend to to smoke 3 or more cigars at a sitting of a few hours. I also don't smoke much during the winter. About once a month, sometimes twice. During the warmer months this goes to weekly if I have time. I need to be comfortable and have time to enjoy my cigar. If I feel rushed even the best cigars will be missing for me. All of this influences me on what I like.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

I'm a slow smoker, so I tend to enjoy more of the PC to Figurados during the winter. I did start off smoking churchills and toros when I got into smoking, but sometimes the flavor just stops 2 or so inches left. I can't remember nubbing anything longer other than a PAN 64 that I recently had. The rest lose their flavor profile near the end to the point I just put it out.

If you're talking about cigars, no. Quality has nothing to do with size.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

It's funny, I've noticed a lot of el cheapo cigars are rolled in some pretty large sizes...almost like they were compensating for something

If big RG's float your boat then try out the Inmenso by Perdomo. My jaw hurt after that one.

Anyways, right now i am on somewhat of a figurado kick, don't really know why. I have also been smoking a lot of coronas and PC's lately.

spiffy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spiffykyle View Post
    If big RG's float your boat then try out the Inmenso by Perdomo. My jaw hurt after that one.

I have one of these chillin in the cooler...

looks like a Pringles can
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

You can tell quality and flavor no matter how it's packaged. One of the elders here said it best: "Smoke what you like." Makes sense to me.

I too have migrated to quicker smokes. Time is at a premium right now. Why bother to light one up if I can't enjoy the experience at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvin View Post

Ha ha!!.. Pure mad man... Take a week off work to smoke it? ..

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Grinch View Post
    It all comes down to taste. I like the perfecto shape best as the flavor changes to me more because of the shape. But I also really like the grand consul from JdN. I'm into perfecto and fat robusto's at the moment. This could change. When I started I liked churchill's and it use to take me about 2 hours to smoke one. Now I still have a churchill now and again but it doesn't take me that long. I smoke much faster and tend to to smoke 3 or more cigars at a sitting of a few hours. I also don't smoke much during the winter. About once a month, sometimes twice. During the warmer months this goes to weekly if I have time. I need to be comfortable and have time to enjoy my cigar. If I feel rushed even the best cigars will be missing for me. All of this influences me on what I like.

DG
    Thanx .. I was going to ask if cigars are enjoyed more outside in a warm climate....

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka View Post
    If you're talking about cigars, no. Quality has nothing to do with size.
    Good advice my friend..
    Cheers...

Default cheers

Thanx for the response... Made some notes.. friend of mine is off to the dam for the weekend... I,ll give him a shopping list so i can try some of the smokes you all recommended...
    Cheers
    Geoff...

Blog Entries

You must have a lot of interesting cigars available in England that aren't necessarily available here in the old US of A. What kind of cigars do you find in the ol' British B&M's??
    puro pot pass VI loser

Absolutely not. I like bolder, more medium-full cigars, and typically the smaller ring guage cigars fit that bill because of the amount of ligero used relative to other tobacco used in the roll.

Try a Trinidad Reyes or Ramon Allones Small Club Corona, then try a larger ring guage. I think you'll find the majority of the time the smallers pack a larger punch.

The larger cigars are more macho I guess, if that's your thing.

I'd say that the monty Edmundo (52) is a great smoke, but I also favour some smaller guage cigars, like the SCdlH El Principe, Cuaba Divinos, RASCC, Part Short and even the Fonseca Cadettes.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Thread Information