Thread: Guitars and humidity

Default Guitars and humidity

I am just getting ready to start learning how to play guitar and have purchased my first and I have been reading up on the care and maintenance of them and found that much like cigars, humidity control during storage is a huge issue. I was just wondering for those of you that have acoustic guitars, what do you do for storage and humidity? I was thinking of throwing some beads in the case but I read that guitars like much lower humidity than our smokes, 42-55% being optimal. Maybe some 60% beads but I would like to get as close to the proper range as possible.
    "If your wife doesn't like the aroma of your cigar - change your wife."
    Zino Davidoff

Now that I know what they are:
    +1 Termite
    +1 Raisin

I am not an expert here, but have not really heard of the humidity thing with Guitars. I imagine that in extremely humid environments, there could be issues, but I would not put beads in with your guitar. Most guitars have a metal bar embedded through middle of the neck to prevent warping and what not. Temperature on the other hand can play in. Keep guitars away from the cold particularly. I know there are other players on the forum so I am looking forward to seeing more informed responses to this thread trickling in.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

I have being playing guitar for around 6 years. I know about the humidity thing, but unless you're playing a Taylor or something in that price range I wouldn't think twice about it. I play an Alvarez and have had it the whole time I've been playing. It sits in my room and it's fine.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Thats cool. I just wanted to make sure. Everything I have been reading on the guitar boards, everyone stresses how important it is to have a hydrometer and humidifier in the guitar case. I was thinking great, now I need to get a cooler for my guitar I got a Yamaha FG700s which has great reviews for a beginner guitar. Can't wait to get going.
    "If your wife doesn't like the aroma of your cigar - change your wife."
    Zino Davidoff

Now that I know what they are:
    +1 Termite
    +1 Raisin

Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagicDragon View Post
    Thats cool. I just wanted to make sure. Everything I have been reading on the guitar boards, everyone stresses how important it is to have a hydrometer and humidifier in the guitar case. I was thinking great, now I need to get a cooler for my guitar I got a Yamaha FG700s which has great reviews for a beginner guitar. Can't wait to get going.
    You gotta stick with it. A lot of people give up real fast. The first summer I started playing guitar that's pratically how I spent most of my day. Just learning songs and practicing. Now I don't even have to think. My fingers just move and the ladies gather round.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Thread Information