Thread: Smoking "Odd shaped" cigars

1. Default Smoking "Odd shaped" cigars

Recently Ive picked up some cigars that are a bit on the unusual side as far as shape goes. Im wondering how to light up these babies. For instance I have a Gurkha Shaggy Foot. Do you cut off the "shag" before lighting or just smoke away with it on? Also I have a Olivia Figurido. Do I cut off the nub or light the little nub? What about the Gurkha Master Select Perfecto? Both ends are slightly open. Cut one side both sides? Dont want to screw up a good smoke by not lighting it correctly.

I've never smoked a shaggy-footed cigar, but I assume you would just light it as you would any other cigar. As for figurado-shaped cigars, you can do either. If you light the little nub, most of them will keep burning effectively and you won't have to do any more work. Some figurados, though, will tend to have skewed burns if you only light the nub (I've had trouble with a few sizes in the Fuente Hemingway series), so some people choose to cut off the nub to allow for a slightly larger lighting area.
    Last edited by JFellows; 02-21-2008 at 08:51 PM.

Light the Shaggy part...those are actually very EASY to light.

Figurado--you light the nub as even as you can and puff along. You get a nice blast of flavor when it opens up.

Perfecto. Use the band to tell you which side to cut to your preference. However everyone has their own opinion on these.

4. Default

I read recently to try to cut to expose at least 80 % of the largest ring guage on a perfecto or a pyramid, so you don't get excessive tar buildup. I agree with this as well.

Rich
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    I read recently to try to cut to expose at least 80 % of the largest ring guage on a perfecto or a pyramid, so you don't get excessive tar buildup. I agree with this as well.

Rich
    I tried that for a while, but everytime I do I get a draw that is WAY to loose. If you get a little tar buildup just purge it!

Quote Originally Posted by prostartjr1738 View Post
    Recently Ive picked up some cigars that are a bit on the unusual side as far as shape goes. Im wondering how to light up these babies. For instance I have a Gurkha Shaggy Foot. Do you cut off the "shag" before lighting or just smoke away with it on? Also I have a Olivia Figurido. Do I cut off the nub or light the little nub? What about the Gurkha Master Select Perfecto? Both ends are slightly open. Cut one side both sides? Dont want to screw up a good smoke by not lighting it correctly.
    Yes the Shaggy foot lights easily.

I like to cut the nub off so that I can toast it. (Toasting is a must)

I have a box, well now about 10 left of the Gurkha Master Select Perfectos. All I can say is "Good Luck". First, pay no attention to the band. The bands do not always indicate the head and foot. You have to look at the direction of the wrapper. If you light the overlap end the wrapper will unravell. If you light the correct end you still have to deal with smoking a lousey cigar. I think I will feed the rest of mine to the goats.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    Yes the Shaggy foot lights easily.

I like to cut the nub off so that I can toast it. (Toasting is a must)

I have a box, well now about 10 left of the Gurkha Master Select Perfectos. All I can say is "Good Luck". First, pay no attention to the band. The bands do not always indicate the head and foot. You have to look at the direction of the wrapper. If you light the overlap end the wrapper will unravell. If you light the correct end you still have to deal with smoking a lousey cigar. I think I will feed the rest of mine to the goats.
    I'm actually quite fond of them and would be glad to take them off your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by King Catfish View Post
    I'm actually quite fond of them and would be glad to take them off your hands.
    Actually that' why I bought the box. I had smoked one and thought I couldn't live without more. After several unwound on me I started looking a little closer and found that they are not indexed by the band. It can be either way. Get it right and it't a pretty good cigar. PM your address and I'll send the POS to you.

PM sent.

That's very generous of you. Perhaps I can offer something in trade? Or cover the shipping?

Blog Entries

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

PM sent.

That's very generous of you. Perhaps I can offer something in trade? Or cover the shipping?
    USPS today, I'll sneak in a couple others for your review.

How did you choose your screen name? My Grandpa was known throughout the area as "Catfish". About once a week he would get up around 3am and fish all day (for catfish of course).

Thanks. I will review them here. Should be fun!

Well, when I first started fishing (I came to the sport a bit late; I was in my late 20s and had just left the Army; my younger brother twisted my arm and now I'm a lifelong fisherman), my favorite sort of fishing was for bullhead catfish (small but fighters) lakeside. I was so enthused about it my little brother joking called me the "King of Catfish". I grabbed it as a screen name and now use it almost everywhere I need a screen name. It never went anywhere as a real life nickname (most people just refer to me as "that jerk").

I like smallmouth fishing more nowadays, but still love to sit lakeside and fish for cats. Do you fish?

Thanks. I will review them here. Should be fun!

Well, when I first started fishing (I came to the sport a bit late; I was in my late 20s and had just left the Army; my younger brother twisted my arm and now I'm a lifelong fisherman), my favorite sort of fishing was for bullhead catfish (small but fighters) lakeside. I was so enthused about it my little brother joking called me the "King of Catfish". I grabbed it as a screen name and now use it almost everywhere I need a screen name. It never went anywhere as a real life nickname (most people just refer to me as "that jerk").

I like smallmouth fishing more nowadays, but still love to sit lakeside and fish for cats. Do you fish?
    I don't. About the only thing I inherited from "Catfish" is a bald head. Although he did take me along sometime and I enjoyed it. I have a pic of him with a stringer of smallmouth bass that you wouldn't believe. This is way back before there were limits. I'll try to scan and post it. I've enjoyed the shooting sports most of my life. Participated in some IPSC (USPSA) sanctioned tactical shooting events. So I"ve reloaded a lot over time and actually enjoy that aspect more than shooting. Now days I spend of lot of time in my roadster and of course smoke cigars.

I don't. About the only thing I inherited from "Catfish" is a bald head. Although he did take me along sometime and I enjoyed it. I have a pic of him with a stringer of smallmouth bass that you wouldn't believe. This is way back before there were limits. I'll try to scan and post it. I've enjoyed the shooting sports most of my life. Participated in some IPSC (USPSA) sanctioned tactical shooting events. So I"ve reloaded a lot over time and actually enjoy that aspect more than shooting. Now days I spend of lot of time in my roadster and of course smoke cigars.

I'd love to see that pic.

I always wanted to try IPSC, but never got around to it. So much to do.... I've pursued a whole bunch of different things (ask me about my avatar sometime), but my current passion is learning guitar. I just started, and it's a lot of fun.

I'd love to see that pic.

I always wanted to try IPSC, but never got around to it. So much to do.... I've pursued a whole bunch of different things (ask me about my avatar sometime), but my current passion is learning guitar. I just started, and it's a lot of fun.
    I did notice and I think Falconry is a noble sport, especially if you can train him to swoop down and snatch a Montecristo out of someone's shirt pocket.

I did notice and I think Falconry is a noble sport, especially if you can train him to swoop down and snatch a Montecristo out of someone's shirt pocket.
    That would be an excellent trick!

Thread Information