Thread: Need some buying advice

Default Need some buying advice

So I was planning on buying a box of PAM Principes and Soprano Soldiers. I figure I have a somewhat decent collection started, and I wanted to buy some premium goto smokes for special occasions or for a pick me up from a bad week at work. I am going to use some of the money I get back from taxes to put towards these. But Im stuck on the thought that maybe I should use the money I was going to spend on them, on 4 or 5 boxes of less expensive smokes, to really expand my collection.

Im torn cause I just love the PAMs and Sorpanos, but I also really like the cigars that I could get instead too.

A) For $413 + what ever shipping and additional costs
    • Sopranos Soldiers - $213
    • PAM Principe - $200 (could be more since I was going to buy these from my B&M if he can get them)

B) For $393 + what ever shipping and additional costs (also may be able get some cheaper on Cbid)
    • Cusano 18 Paired Maduro - $76
    • Torano Exodus 1959 - $88
    • Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real - $112
    • Tatuaje Havana VI - $117

Was also thinking about swapping some of the above out for JDN Antano Consul, Camacho SLR, and some others.

So what would you do? Im still leaning more towards option A atm though.
    Yay! Cigars!

Quote Originally Posted by Mizicke5273 View Post
    So I was planning on buying a box of PAM Principes and Soprano Soldiers. I figure I have a somewhat decent collection started, and I wanted to buy some premium goto smokes for special occasions or for a pick me up from a bad week at work. I am going to use some of the money I get back from taxes to put towards these. But Im stuck on the thought that maybe I should use the money I was going to spend on them, on 4 or 5 boxes of less expensive smokes, to really expand my collection.

Im torn cause I just love the PAMs and Sorpanos, but I also really like the cigars that I could get instead too.

A) For $413 + what ever shipping and additional costs
    • Sopranos Soldiers - $213
    • PAM Principe - $200 (could be more since I was going to buy these from my B&M if he can get them)

B) For $393 + what ever shipping and additional costs (also may be able get some cheaper on Cbid)
    • Cusano 18 Paired Maduro - $76
    • Torano Exodus 1959 - $88
    • Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real - $112
    • Tatuaje Havana VI - $117

Was also thinking about swapping some of the above out for JDN Antano Consul, Camacho SLR, and some others.

So what would you do? Im still leaning more towards option A atm though.
    I would go with this:

PAM Principe - $200
    Tatuaje Havana VI
    JdN Antano
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Anything Torano can be had on CBid for way below MSRP.

Have you ever had the RyJ Reserva Real? Think it was worth $112?

I'd have to go with Drew's choices. I just cannot shell out that much money for a box of CAOs. I enjoy the PAM's a whoooole lot more.

JMO
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

4. Default

JdN lanceros

La flor Dominicana Double Ligero Lanceros

Oliva serieV

Torano Golds

El Rico Habano

Do not give cbid any of your hard earned cash. Find a small etailer and develop a relationship with them. Hex runs such an operation
    The older I get ,the better I was

I personally like the PAMs the most out of your choices (I just bought a box myself). I like the CAO Sopranos as well, but for the price I'd get a Cusano 18 Paired Maduro before the Sopranos (I also have a box of the Cusanos). The Torano and Tatuaje are also good which I would probably also get before the Sopranos. I think you should go for the Pams, cusano and Tatuaje or Torano.

6. Default Kevin7

Can you tell me why you recommend not using CBID?

Rich
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sopranos - These are one of my favorite smokes, I know a lot of people think they are overpriced, or that there are better smokes out there but I cant help liking these. Ive had several of both the Soldier and Associate and have been wanting a box ever since.

RyJ Reserva Real - I would like to pay $80 or cheaper for them but o well.

Never thought about the option drew presented. That just made things harder, but also might be the best thing to do for now. Guess I could always buy the Sopranos next month.
    Yay! Cigars!

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    Can you tell me why you recommend not using CBID?

Rich
    Rich it's just my opinion. I had some broken cigars caused by piss poor packaging on their part years ago. The replacements were broken too,after that they wouldn't compensate me. Some of us on HP were discussing Cbid on our forum and steve rowbottom from cbid forums came on and told us to STFU,of course that didn't roll over our backs too well. Cbid,CI, Cigar.com are all the same company and they pack with hard paper used for industrial packaging. They are notorious for buying a brand and having the blend cheapened for them so the cigars are not what they used to be. Case in Point was Oliveros Classic,I used to love these until I got a bundle from CI and they tasted like shit.

If you live in a state without insane taxes find a retailer and develop a relationship with them. Find a small etailer and develop a relationship with them. Look on the boards and find decent deals. Suscribe to fujipub.com cigar newsletter and find deals on it occasionaly. Look at JRCIGARS.COM and get their catalouge ,they are a huge retailer but have some outstanding specials and top notch customer service.

K7
    The older I get ,the better I was

After thinking over the option drew presented, I really think thats what Im gona do. Ill get the PAMs + Tats + JdN Antanos. I may substitute something in for the JdN, just not sure yet but the PAMs + Tats really sound good to me.
    Yay! Cigars!

...The JDN Antano's age VERY well. I've got two boxes of consuls, one of which I've had for about 2 years . The cigars are smooooth and still pack that familiar JDN punch.

...just my two cents.

JDN
    http://www.cheapercigars.com/joya_de...tano_1970.html

Pretty good prices on those.

These guys list the PAM's you want at $180.

http://www.ljperetti.com/Cigars/45.htm

12. Default Mizicke - Buying considerations

Some other considersation might be: How much variety do I already have? How familiar
    am I with many different sticks? Are you buying the boxes because you really like the
    smokes or for the prestige? Personally, I would rather have a mixture of blondes, brunettes
    and real redheads than a multiple collection of blondes. I found a B&M in MI called Cigar
    Factory Outlet. They have a B5G1 everyday, but a also liked some of their box prices.
    Picked up a Cusano 18 for $66 and a RyJReserve Real for $80. The other thought is instead
    of making one purchase now, keep a little for a "fun purchase" a few weeks down the road,
    when one of those crappy work weeks jumps up on you. Have fun!

Well I ended up buying a box of Tat Havana VI and ordered the PAMs and a box of Panacea Maduros. Ill probably buy the Sopranos in April or so. Ill get the rest during my normal purchasing schedule or whenever I get around to em I guess.
    Yay! Cigars!

Thread Information