Being as I have liked everything I have tried from 5 Vegas, I chose this cigar next out of the bundle of fine stogies sent by Sammis. Also, I am inexperienced with cigars this small and wanted to try it just for the size.

The 5 Vegas Shorty looks exactly like a 5 Vegas Miami that has been shrunken down in size; it measures 4.2" x 40. It is made up of Honduran tobaccos in a Cameroon wrapper. I am assuming this actually is the 5 Vegas Miami in a smaller size; someone correct me if I am wrong.

I held the little fella under my nose, and it had a rich aroma that was slightly cedary. The cigar was slightly rough in texture but very even and solidly built. I cut the cap without incident (Again?! I’m on a roll!), and the prelight draw was medium, perfect in fact, and tasted a bit chocolately and cedary at the same time. Toasting the foot was pleasing to the nose, and the cigar was lit.

The first puffs were a bit... complex. It is hard to describe, but I tasted wood, and a straight tobacco flavor, and a faint metallic tang. I think there was a bit of coffee in there, and kinda sorta perhaps some dark chocolate. Maybe. The volume of smoke was as one would expect from such a little stick, that is, a lot less than a robusto or corona, but still quite enough to enjoy. The metallic tang disappeared after the first puff or two and did not return until near the nub when the cigar was burning pretty hot.

The first third immediately made clear one of the differences in sizes of cigars: smoke temperature. This cigar’s smoke was as warm from the start as a robusto would be when I am rushing it and it’s time to let it cool off for a minute. The burn line was very sharp and totally even, and the ash was a very pale gray and solid, with black streaks showing through the cracks. The cigar started to take on a dusty sort of undertone in addition to all the other subtle tastes.

I found the middle third beginning with a fading away of most of the “up front” (beginning of the puff) taste profile that was so hard to describe early on in the first third. However, the finish and the aftertaste, practically absent in the first third, were beginning to get strong and hot and leathery. Smoke volume increased quite a bit, and the ash fell off at about half an inch and sat in the ashtray a small unbroken cylinder.

The final third was very similar to the middle third, with some intensification of the flavors and a bit of a build in strength. (I found this stick to be medium in body.) Smoke volume increased still more, and the smoke got very hot at the end (which was to be expected) somewhat to the detriment to the flavor.

Overall, this is a nice little cigar, and better than I expected for the size. (I don’t remember ever being terribly impressed with a small cigar, and that might be caused by a defect in my approach to them. I’m willing to submit to the tutelage of anyone who has more experience with them.) I have had a couple of 5 Vegas Miamis in the more conventional sizes, but it was a while ago and I do not remember how I felt about them. Score: 78. I found the flavor profile a little less than impressive after the first few puffs; there was a nice burst of flavor in the last third as well. I think I failed to respect the cigar’s size, and rushed it. I’ll have to go more slowly with the next one. I can certainly commend the makers of this cigar for the lovely prelight aroma, though, and flawless construction. Very nice. Many thanks to Sammis.

Someone help me out here: I know this is a boutique brand for Famous Smoke Shop… but a little birdie told me that this brand is blended for Famous by Don Pepin Garcia. Can someone confirm or deny this for me?