Thread: The KC/DW Review Series

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BTW, I am adding a review index to the first post in this thread.
    Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
    -Winston Churchill

KC,
    Good review on the Gurkha Louis XIII. I would agree with your observations including the slightly cracked wrapper. I have a couple more with a small split and busted cap that you can see through the glass tube. I thought I had picked one for you without. Anyway, it seems they would be protected enough in the tubes, although they can slide end to end, which might have damaged the cap on one. They're not one of my favorites and I probably won't get any more.
    I might try an Oliva Master Blends 3 this evening. I like all Oliva's and can't wait to try one of these. I have 5x50, 5x54, 61/2x52 & 7x50. If you have a special desire for a certain size and haven't tried one of these let me know and I'll send you one for review.
    Had a Perdomo Reserve Cabinet Series P last evening. I'll do a review later. I've nearly finished a box of these now without a single disappointment. Another favorite.
    DW

Blog Entries

I have to say, this is one of the most well written series of reviews I have encountered. I'm looking forward to each installment. Excellent Reading!

Keep up the great work, guys

~Dennis
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteash View Post
    I have to say, this is one of the most well written series of reviews I have encountered. I'm looking forward to each installment. Excellent Reading!

Keep up the great work, guys

~Dennis
    Thanks for the kind words. I will try to review another early this week.

I was wondering if another pair of BOTLs could start something similar... send each other some sticks and share a thread for reviewing them. It would be great to get some others involved in this sort of thing.
    Last edited by King Catfish; 03-26-2008 at 10:07 PM.
    Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
    -Winston Churchill

Default Index

KC,
    Thanks for including the index. Very helpful. I had already forgotton that your very first review was the Perdomo Reserva. My son and I also trade out sticks and I forget who got what. He lives in Albuquerque and about twice a week we bust out a stick and smoke while we're on the phone. We catch up on cars, fly fishing, etc. and at the same time do a review.
    DW

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    KC,
    Thanks for including the index. Very helpful. I had already forgotton that your very first review was the Perdomo Reserva. My son and I also trade out sticks and I forget who got what. He lives in Albuquerque and about twice a week we bust out a stick and smoke while we're on the phone. We catch up on cars, fly fishing, etc. and at the same time do a review.
    DW
    Yeah, I'm going to try one of those Perdomos again sometime, and rereview it. I think its low score was a result of it being first in the series; I'd bet it would do better now.

Sounds like a great way to spend some quality time with one's son.
    -Winston Churchill

Default Don Carlos God of Fire by Arturo Fuente (Robusto)

This evening I tried the God of Fire Don Carlos blend, sent to me by DeeDubya.

The cigar was a solid-packed robusto with a medium-toned, fine-textured wrapper. The red and gold double band showed a picture of Prometheus being tormented by the eagle and the name of the blend, “Don Carlos”. The cigar gave the impression of high class and workmanship, and felt good in the hand. Construction was rock solid, and I feared a tough draw.

The unlit aroma was not strong, but a little sweet and perhaps slightly woody. I lit the cigar, and was immediately greeted with a large volume of mild, woody, leathery smoke that was easy on the tongue and civilized in the throat. The draw was easy as well, despite the hard-packed feel of the cigar. The ash was ghostly white. The burn was a little uneven at first, but this happens to me often; it might be that I light my cigars inexpertly; in any event, the burn evened itself out quickly with no help from me.

The first third made an understated presentation of wood and leather, perhaps with a tiny hint of spice. The flavor was very subtle and I had to concentrate to get a clear impression in the first third. The ash was really extremely white, and fell off after about an inch (and later ashes were much longer). The aroma of the smoke wafting around the cigar was dry, faint, and pleasant. Aftertaste was nearly absent.

As the second third got underway, the leather in the taste began to assert itself a little more; it was late at night when I smoked this stick or I would have liked to try it with coffee. It seemed this cigar would be complimented very well by a nice cup of java. The aftertaste was faint, supporting my hypothesis that this would be a good cigar for the (late) morning, when the palate is more sensitive and a strong, lingering aftertaste would be less desirable. In the second third I was a bit surprised as the cigar started to assert itself more strongly. In the very middle the cigar started to pump out a nice, somewhat dry leathery flavor that I really enjoyed, and it did not seem to suffer too much from its loss of any hint of spice.

In the final third, it occurred to me that this cigar was perhaps a little bit like the Montecristo White but less creamy and more dry, and again I thought I would like to try this one again sometime earlier in the day, with a nice cup of black coffee. The aftertaste was developing that slightly alkaline character that always makes me think of coffee. To my surprise, a very interesting sort of burnt chocolate taste appeared near the nub, and was quite a treat. There was a touch of bitterness at the nub (which I did not mind, and it did not stop me from smoking until my fingers were practically ablaze).

All in all this was a very civilized, classy, memorable cigar that developed moderately well and had a very pleasant taste. It suffered a bit from a weak start and a lack of complexity until well into the last third. I would save this cigar for a thoughtful late Saturday morning coffee alone in a sunny kitchen or porch, not wanting to risk it getting overpowered by conversation, strong drink, or proximity to a meal.

Score 17.85 (x5) = 89.25, gaining half a point for exceptional construction, losing half a point for the weak start, and gaining a half point for good development after the middle, for a final score of 89.75. I would suspect it would score higher when paired with the proper beverage and time of day, as mentioned above.

Thanks again to Deedubya for his generosity and another unique smoking experience. Apparently this stick is limited in production and hard to find. This is the best sort of gift, an experience that otherwise I would not have had.

To expand a bit on cigars in general, I am beginning to see that I like different kinds of cigars for different situations: The God of Fire fits into that category of a thoughtful smoke one has alone and provides with the perfect setting for full enjoyment. Other times I like a cigar with a more assertive character and a strong start, best for conversation with a couple of good friends and depending less on setting and complimentary beverages or food.
    Last edited by King Catfish; 03-26-2008 at 10:01 PM. Reason: The inevitable typographical errors
    -Winston Churchill

Thread Information