Thread: The KC/DW Review Series

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Olor Paco Claro 6x50

I'm not a big fan of claro's but this is a pretty good cigar. I think that I didn't like some of the others I had tried because of the mild strength and grassy flavors. These are definately medium strength and have a much better finish.
    This is the first out of the box so instead of rating it now I'll come back after a couple more and give them some marks. Right now their tasting pretty good.

They are a blend of Dominican tobaccos rolled in a Connecticut jade wrapper. A very smooth, silky wrapper I might add. It burned even with a white, firm ash. I did detect a little grassiness but it could be a mental thing I have about claro's. Nice for a change. I'll keep them on my list of things to do.

Default Henry Clay Rothchilde Maduro 5x50

I've been through many boxes of Henry Clay cigars. Mostly Brevas and Brevas Conservas which are a smaller (46 & 48 I think) ring guage. This is my first box of the pudgy little Rothchilde. And, the reason for this review , I had been overlooking the best of the vitolas in the family. What I love most about the Henry Clay is the thick, creamy smoke and rich chocolate/coffee/pepper flavors. No they're not flavored, just really great tasting earthiness brought around by the robust Dominican Ligero tobaccos.

Wrapped in a dark Connecticut broadleaf these are heavy cigars, both in strength and in actual weight. I haven't actually weighed a box but it is evident in the hand. Yesterday I opened both this box of Clays and a box of Cabaigaun Robusto's, nearly identical size cigars in the same size box. Well, I would guess that the Clays weighed nearly twice as much. Significant because the Cabaiguan's are a hefty little stick in their own right.

Henry Clay was founded in Old Havana in the 19th century and were once one of Cuba's leading brands. They moved the factory (picture on the box) to the Dominican Republic after the embargo and continued to roll cigars in the traditional way. Named after a US Senator from Kentucky, Henry Clay continues on to make him a legend.

Edit to say that Henry Clays come bundled within the box. Kind of like "box pressed" they are "bundle pressed" and many are squashed slightly out of shape. Some are flat, some are triangular, some are square, some are oval. Don't try to round them out by rolling or pressing. Just be happy and smoke them like they are.
    Last edited by DeeDubya; 07-14-2009 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Edit to say

Blog Entries

Just picked up an HC Brevas Finas because of the above review. Looking forward to it!

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    Just picked up an HC Brevas Finas because of the above review. Looking forward to it!
    Come back and tell us about it right here. Clay's are different, definately not for beginners.

Blog Entries

Default Henry Clay Brevas Finas

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    Come back and tell us about it right here. Clay's are different, definately not for beginners.
    As requested.....

Henry Clay Brevas Finas
    6.5" X 48
    Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro
    Binder: Dominican
    Filler: Dominican

First of all, there's nothing specifically spectacular about the Henry Clay brand. The label on the cigar is rather generic, there are no fancy shapes or marketing gimmicks - even the box looks rather plain.

I can attest to the heaviness felt when picking up the cigar. I didn't weigh it either, and it's a subtle weight difference - not something you would probably notice unless it was pointed out to you, but heavier all the same.

The wrapper has an oily sheen to it. The smell is distinctive of leather and dark tobaccos. The cigar is well constructed - no protruding veins, firm to the squeeze. The snip went without a hitch - the draw was a little tighter than I normally like, but still bearable. The cigar lights up easily, and away we go.

Because the draw isn't very loose, I'm always worried that if I don't keep puffing away at it, it will go out. And I hate relighting cigars. For perhaps the first inch of the cigar or so, not much was going on with this cigar. It wasn't bad, it just didn't do much for me. Lots of billowing smoke, gradually building up to a flavor profile.

By the time I got to the middle of the cigar, it's characteristics had been defined. Still lots of smoke, and a rich maduro flavoring. I would probably characterize it with as a medium-full in terms of body, and probably just as much in flavor. There's nothing outstanding about this cigar, but it's not your normal cigar: there's a lot going on in there. Different flavors hit different parts of my palate - the tastes are subtle, flavorful, but don't linger in my mouth after exhale. I don't get a nicotine buzz, but am very relaxed while smoking it and working in the garage.

The ash holds on only for a solid inch before I voluntarily knock it off. It's mostly gray in color. The tightness of the rolling is evident in the ash as well. The burn didn't have any outrageous runs - it burned pretty even for my tastes. I think I smoked this cigar for about an hour or so before it started to go out a bit more - maybe I was neglecting it too much as well.

Overall, this isn't the most glamorous cigar I've ever smoked, but I would pick another one up in a flash. Very surprised for a Dominican cigar. Was not what I expected at all, and definitely not as plain as the label insinuates.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Good review. I'd say you're right on. The Clays take some getting used to. I rarely get a tight draw on any of them. But, they are pretty inconsistant in shape and texture so it doesn't surprise me. But hey, they're a $3 cigar.

Thread Information