Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The KC/DW Review Series

Default The KC/DW Review Series

INDEX OF THE REVIEWS THAT FOLLOW:
    PAGE 1
    Perdomo Reserva La Tradicion Cabinet Series Maduro P (KC, score 77.5/100)
    Gran Habano Corojo #5 (KC, 85.25/100)
    Montecristo White Especiale No. 3. (KC, 80/100)

PAGE 2
    Onyx Reserve #4 (DW, 8.9/10)
    Gurhka Class Regent Torpedo (DW, 9.2/10)
    Gurhka Nepalese Warrior (DW, 9.2/10)
    Gurkha Black Puro (DW, 7/10)
    Gispert Robusto Maduro (KC, 82/100)

PAGE 3
    Oliva (Serie G) Special G (KC, 95.25/100)
    Gurkha Symphony Robusto #4 - Silver Edition (DW, 9.4/10)
    Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve Maduro Robusto (KC, 84.5/100)

PAGE 4
    Diablo Picantes Caliente (DW, 8.5/10)
    La Aurora 1495 Series Robusto (KC, 95.5/100)
    La Aurora Connoisseur Brazil SINGLE Maduro 5 X 52 (DW, 9/10)
    Gurkha Louis XIII Churchill (KC, 93/100)

PAGE 5
    Don Carlos God of Fire by Arturo Fuente (Robusto) (KC, 89.75/100)
    Don Lino Africa Duma (5x50) (KC, 86.75/100)
    Perdomo Slow-Aged 826 Glorioso (KC, 78/100)

PAGE 6
    Plasencia Reserva Organica Robusto (DW, 9.4/10)
    H. Upmann 1844 Reserve Lord Rothchilde (DW, 9.5/10)
    Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Maduro (DW, 7/10)

PAGE 7
    Camacho 1962 Churchill (DW, 9.3/10)
    Don Lino Africa Duma (DW, 88.5/100)
    Oliveros LTD Belicoso Fino (DW, 9.5/10)
    Gran Habano 3 Siglos Robusto (DW, 9.6/10)

PAGE 8
    Oliveros El Padrino Edicion Italiana (DW, 7/10)
    Oliveros 1927 Toro (DW, 7.5/10)
    Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva (Sun Grown) Torpedo (KC, 94.25/100)
    Gran Habano Corojo #5 Gran Robusto (DW, 8.5/10)
    Gurkha Connecticut Reserve Robusto #4 (KC, 75.25/100)

PAGE 9
    Gran Habano Corojo #5 Imperiales (DW, 8.3/10)
    Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva Churchill Camaroon (DW, 9.3/10)
    Nicarao Robusto 2006 (DW, 8.4/10)
    Perdomo Cuban Parejo Epicure Rosado (DW, 9.4/10)
    La Floridita Limited Edition Robusto (DW, 8.9/100)
    Oliva Serie V Liga Especial Double Robusto (Natural) (KC, 97/100)
    Perdomo Cuban Parejo Epicure Rosado (KC, 90/100, informal review)

PAGE 10
    Romeo Y Julieta Aniversario Robusto (DW, 9.1/10)
    Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Toro (DW, 8.4/10)
    Oliveros XL For Men Double Corojo (DW, 7.8/10)
    5 Vegas Gold Churchill (DW, 8/10)
    La Aurora Barrel Aged Robusto (DW, 9/10)
    Georges Reserve Robusto (DW, 9.2/10)

PAGE 11
    Conuco Robusto (DW, 8.8/10)
    Oliva Special S Diadema 9x52 (DW, 9.4/10)
    Montecristo Platinum - La Habana Series 1999 Toro 6x50 (DW, 8.3/10)
    Padron Aniversario Corona Maduro 6x42 (DW, 9.4/10)
    Georges Reserve Lonsdale 7x46 (DW, 9.1/10)

PAGE 12
    Fumadores Robusto 5x50 Jose "Pepin" Garcia (DW, 9/10)
    Rocky Patel Cuban Blend (Natural) Torpedo (KC, 82/100)
    Rocky Patel Diesel Fuerte Robusto 5x50 (DW, 8.5/10)
    Cusano 18 Paired Maduro Robusto 5x50 (KC, 83/100)
    Oliva Master Blends Toro 6x50 (DW, 9.5/10)

PAGE 13
    Perdomo Signature Collection Figurado 6 1/2 x 54 (DW, 8.7/10)

PAGE 14
    Hoyo de Monterrey Dark Sumatra Noche 6 x 52 (KC, 94/100)
    El Rico Habano Corona Suprema 6x50 (DW, 8.9/10)

PAGE 15
    REO Robuston 5x52 (DW, 8/10)
    Don Tomas Sun Grown Robusto Natural 5 1/2x50 (DW, 8.5/10)
    Savinelli Special Selection 2005 Toro 6x52 (DW, 9.2/10)

PAGE 16
    Arturo Fuente Double Chateau Natural 6.7x50 (DW, 9/10)
    El Mejor Emerald Shaggy-Foot Robusto 5x50 (DW, 8.5/10)

PAGE 17
    Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet #1 (DW, 9/10)
    El Mejor Espresso Toro 6x52 (DW, 8/10)

PAGE 18
    Perdomo Habano Corojo Robusto 5 x 52 (KC, 89.85/100)
    Montecristo "Sevens" Churchill 7x60 (DW, 9.3/10)

PAGE 19
    5 Vegas Shorty Petite Torpedo 4.2" x 40 (KC, 78/100)
    La Riqueza #3 Tatuaje 5.5x46 (DW, 9.1/10)
    Perdomo Fresco Toro 6x50 (KC, 81/100)

PAGE 20
    Gurkha Titan 6.5x56 (KC, 87/100)
    Olor Fuerte Bellicoso 6x54 (KC, 86/100)
    La Aurora Robusto 5x50 (DW, 8.6/10)
    Winston Churchill Marrakesh 6x50 (DW, 9.3/10)

PAGE 21
    Savinelli Nicaraguan Reserve Robusto 5x52 (DW, 8.8/10)

------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL MESSAGE APPEARS HERE:
    Hello everyone. In this thread:
    http://www.cigarsmokers.com/t9713-sm...ed-cigars.html
    DeeDubya mentioned his disdain for a certain cigar, and I offered to take them. They have arrived, and all I can say is "Wow!" Among the huge pile of Gurkha Master Select Perfectos are 4 cigars "for my review".

-----------------------------------------------
    Last edited by King Catfish; 01-07-2009 at 09:01 AM.

Default Perdomo Reserva La Tradicion Cabinet Series Maduro P

My first review in this series is the Perdomo Reserva La Tradicion Cabinet Series Maduro P (perfecto). I smoked it this evening with a glass of Tullamore Dew Irish Whiskey over ice. This is the drink I usually have with a cigar, so I thought I should stay true to form.

The cigar is a perfecto of modest size, with an attractive, traditional looking band, gold and black on a red field. The color is dark, the color of darker varieties of milk chocolate. The color is very even. The texture is medium, not coarse, and a bit veiny. The rolling is very regular, nearly perfect in shape. The cigar is quite firm without being too hard, and very even with no lumps.

The draw was medium, not too easy (This may be caused by an imperfect cut; I am still new at this.), but loosening up after the middle of the cigar. The burn was even, with a flat coal revealed when the ash fell off. The burn zone remained sharply defined throughout. The ash was light grey with some white. The ash was moderately stiff and retained its shape in the ashtray. The ash was more than an inch long when it fell off the cigar. The cigar burned very slowly, taking more than an hour to smoke, unhurried. The burn slowed a bit in the middle, requiring a touch-up light, which teased out its character and intensified it a bit. I would call this cigar solidly medium –bodied.

I detected very minimal sweetness at first, and no bitterness, even to the nub. I found it to be a just a little on the sharp side, especially toward the end of the puff, just before the aftertaste. The finish was persistent, complex, leathery and quite excellent, the most memorable attribute of this cigar. The cigar became slightly sweeter as it progressed.

I found the flavor to lack intensity at first, but it was pleasurable. The cigar has a harmonious presentation, and agreeable character, and the aforementioned lingering aftertaste. The cigar was redolent of woodiness with a modest nod to pepper, especially in the middle; the aroma was faint… did I detect a shy, ephemeral sniff of hot metal? The aftertaste bears revisiting; the further along the cigar and I progressed, the more lovely the aftertaste, first on the tongue only, then later on both tongue and lips.

The cigar evolved quite a bit through its lifespan from mild and shy to pleasant and revealing, and finished strong, sweet and leathery; spicy at the finish. The only drawbacks were a bit of acidic sharpness at the end of the puff before the aftertaste and a somewhat weak start. I was impressed with the construction and overall presentation. I suspect a more refined palate is required to fully appreciate this stick.

My initial scoring of this cigar is 15.20 out of 20, or a 76 rating. I add a bonus 1.5 point for the way the cigar evolved and became more complex, to total at 77.5.

I thank DeeDubya for allowing me this experience.
    Last edited by King Catfish; 02-27-2008 at 10:13 PM.

I would call that a "Smokin" review. I prefer the Perdomo perfecto over the Gurhka perfecto any day. And you can be sure that you're lighting the correct end!

Oh, by the way, I never feed my Perdomos to the goats.
    Last edited by DeeDubya; 02-28-2008 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    I would call that a "Smokin" review. I prefer the Perdomo perfecto over the Gurhka perfecto any day. And you can be sure that you're lighting the correct end!

Oh, by the way, I never feed my Perdomos to the goats.
    I would not, either. That was a really nice cigar.

I smoked one of those Gurkha perfectos this morning, full of newbie arrogance that I would not have a problem with it... wrong. I had the very unraveling problem you described. I was certain I had the correct end, ha ha. I will "officially" review one of those after the others.

EDITED TO ADD: I have had a couple of these master select perfectos before and did not have this problem.. or at least as far as I recall. I have had a couple of royal brigade perfectos as well, absolutely no problem with those.
    Last edited by King Catfish; 02-28-2008 at 09:30 AM.

Sorry, gents. Responsibilities call, and I must beg off until tomorrow night, at which time I will post a a review of a Gran Habano Corojo #5.

Default Gran Habano Corojo #5

Gran Habano Corojo #5

This evening I poured myself a glass of my usual, and put on piano sonatas in place of Wednesday evening’s smooth jazz.

The Gran Habano Corojo #5 appeared to be a Rothschild vitola, stubby and thick. The band was elaborate, but did not overpower the visual presentation of the cigar. Unlit, the cigar smelled of dark coffee with a teasing whiff of unsweetened chocolate (which never materialized once the cigar was lit). The medium-coarse wrapper was very even and dark and the sheen of oil was noticeable among the small veins. The cigar was firm in the hand and well constructed, and yielded a bit when squeezed.

The aroma receded into faintness once the cigar was burning. The cigar was immediately sweet and funky on the lips and tongue, and right away commenced to produce an enormous volume of smoke from an easygoing draw. The smoke was tame on the tongue and shy of the throat.

This set the tone that held sway through the first third of the cigar: bold and brazen; there was a notable lack of pepperiness, and this persisted through the middle of the cigar. What might have been a slight saltiness was gone well before the first third was traversed. The burn zone was less than sharply defined, and a bit uneven. Flavor intensity and body were generous.

The Gran Habano started to become contemplative and mellow in the middle; a definite transition was occurring! The burn has evened itself out at this point without assistance, and the burn zone was a black razor line bisecting the diameter of the cigar. The cigar left in its wake a very long, cohesive ash, well over 2 inches when it dropped off into the ashtray. The taste was light on sweetness and saltiness, and not at all acidic. The intensity of the flavor and body were decreasing steadily as the cigar make its trek toward senescence.

In the last third, the Gran Habano was increasingly civilized, becoming a bit earthy, but less shy of the throat; more leather, a little more coffee, hints of pepper starting to show at the nub. The flavors were becoming less bold, but started to cooperate a bit more than at first. Then, a parting gift: a teasing intimation of blackberries!

Raw score 17.05 (x 5) = 85.25

Thanks again to DeeDubya.

EDITED TO ADD: Any criticism or feedback on this review, the previous one, or any that follow would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by King Catfish; 02-29-2008 at 07:50 PM.

Default Montecristo White Especiale No. 3.

Montecristo White Especiale No. 3.

This afternoon, after lunch, I smoked a Montecristo White. It appears to be an Especiale #3. It is a small robusto or long Rothschild in shape. The band a white circle with a gold Fleur-de-Lis. The wrapper color was light brown and very even and uniform. Prelight aroma was a pure tobacco sort of smell, rich and unassuming. The taste was immediately very rich and creamy on the lips and tongue, with a very slight hint of bite in the throat. Smoke was abundant throughout. The aftertaste lingered a bit and was somehow simultaneously slightly sharp and thick/creamy, perhaps a bit alkaline like black coffee. Wood and leather predominated the generous flavor. The harmony of presentation on the palate was superior. Strength was quite mild, medium in the last third, with coffee flavors ascending.

Overall, the cigar was possessed of a elegant, harmonious, and agreeable character that did not overstate its case. The cigar remained mostly steady through its lifetime, with no noticeable evolution except for increasing intensity after the midpoint.

16 (x 5) = 80.

Thanks again, DW.

King Catfish,
    I would say that your review of the Gran Hanano and Montecristo are right on. I don't have the discriminating palate that you have and I can't detect all the distinct flavors. I wish I could but I'm afraid that some of my taste buds are either lame or missing altogether.
    However, generally speaking I know a good cigar when I smoke one. I have to say that the finish is most important for me with any cigar.
    A perfectly good tasting, even burning cigar that has a bitter or harsh finish is IMO a bad cigar. I know that some people smoke a cigar just down to the band and toss it. But when I smoke a really good tasting cigar to the band I just can't stop there. I peel the band and continue to enjoy it, sometimes until my fingers are getting hot. Now that's what I'm talking about, a good finish that I truly enjoyed and a taste that I will remember. After all, the finish will determine the aftertaste.
    Let me know if you try another one of the Gurhka "rejects". I held a few back for the goats but if you find a way to smoke them, I'll give them another try.

King Catfish,
    Let me know if you try another one of the Gurhka "rejects". I held a few back for the goats but if you find a way to smoke them, I'll give them another try.
    Well, I've had two so far, one lit from the "open" end and the other lit from the "overlap" end, and both times the wrapper came completely off the cigar. The Master Select has a taste I really like, so I fought my way through it both times. No luck so far on keeping the wrapper on it, though.

I'm enjoying them a lot, but it's a sit-at-the-kitchen-table-and-carefully-hold-the-wrapper-in-place sort of smoke. If I figure it out, I'll be glad to let you know, but I do not have my hopes up at this point.

King Catfish,
    I would say that your review of the Gran Hanano and Montecristo are right on. I don't have the discriminating palate that you have and I can't detect all the distinct flavors.
    Well, I was able to taste all those flavors, but without a "reviewing guide" checklist I downloaded, I would not have been able to identify them all by name like that. The checklist really helped a lot, showed me what to look for, and gave me an idea on what might be missing. Helped a lot in clarifying in my mind why I like a cigar. I'm just a beginner, really, but learning how to assess a cigar has been a lot of fun.

Except for the reviews in this thread, I have done as you do, which is decide simply whether or not I like a cigar and leave it at that.
    Last edited by King Catfish; 03-03-2008 at 10:53 AM.

KC,
    Just got back from the PO with a nice little surprise. Some of those Gurhka's look delicious. Now I feel obligated. Sending you those goat-feed rejects makes me feel guilty. That's OK, since reading your in-depth reviews I've already been thinking and planning.

That's awesome KC. Just don't hold me to the fire and expect reviews like you posted. I need to search for one of those "Reviewing Guides" to help me. Maybe I could come up with some better descriptions than "dirt" or "cedar bark" or "garden mulch" or "goat feed".

KC,
    Just got back from the PO with a nice little surprise. Some of those Gurhka's look delicious. Now I feel obligated. Sending you those goat-feed rejects makes me feel guilty. That's OK, since reading your in-depth reviews I've already been thinking and planning.

That's awesome KC. Just don't hold me to the fire and expect reviews like you posted. I need to search for one of those "Reviewing Guides" to help me. Maybe I could come up with some better descriptions than "dirt" or "cedar bark" or "garden mulch" or "goat feed".
    Cool, I'm looking forward to your reviews. I hope you find a reviewing guide you like. Here's a link to the one I used:
    http://www.tabacordillera.com/docs/AnalysisSheet.doc

Cool series guys, keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by King Catfish View Post
    Cool, I'm looking forward to your reviews. I hope you find a reviewing guide you like. Here's a link to the one I used:
    http://www.tabacordillera.com/docs/AnalysisSheet.doc

Onyx Reserve #4 (5x44)

KC,
    I smoked the Onyx first because I was most interested to see what my son was going on about liking them so much. I had just sent him a box but had not tried them myself.
    Anyway, now I can say that the Onyx is a very good value. The cigar is box-pressed with an extra-dark Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro wrapper somewhat coarse in texture. I toasted the foot which emitted a subtle hint of chocolate. I was a little concerned with the softness but it commenced to burn slowly and evenly. About midway I could definately detect coffee/cocoa and roasted nuts characteristic of many maduro's. The medium gray colored ash was not white like many maduro's but was certainly firm and even. I was nearly half-way through before I tipped the ash. The finish was rewarding with memorable spicy overtones.
    The Onyx Reserve #4 is a rich full-bodied cigar and a very good value. I will give it 8.9 on a scale of 1-10.

DW

Onyx Reserve #4 (5x44)

KC,
    I smoked the Onyx first because I was most interested to see what my son was going on about liking them so much. I had just sent him a box but had not tried them myself.
    Anyway, now I can say that the Onyx is a very good value. The cigar is box-pressed with an extra-dark Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro wrapper somewhat coarse in texture. I toasted the foot which emitted a subtle hint of chocolate. I was a little concerned with the softness but it commenced to burn slowly and evenly. About midway I could definately detect coffee/cocoa and roasted nuts characteristic of many maduro's. The medium gray colored ash was not white like many maduro's but was certainly firm and even. I was nearly half-way through before I tipped the ash. The finish was rewarding with memorable spicy overtones.
    The Onyx Reserve #4 is a rich full-bodied cigar and a very good value. I will give it 8.9 on a scale of 1-10.

DW
    Excellent! I'm glad you liked it; I'm a big fan of these myself. Nice work on the review.

EDITED TO ADD: I'll try to get to the review of the Gispert in a day or two.
    Last edited by King Catfish; 03-04-2008 at 04:06 PM.

Default Gurhka Regent Torpedo

Thanks again to King Catfish for sending some cigars for review. I have enjoyed a Gurkha Regent Torpedo, one that I had not smoked.
    The Regent is a model cigar. Regular roll with no lumps, smooth firm wrapper with very fine veins and even color.
    As always, I toasted the foot and immediately detected a spicy, sumptuous "black pepper" aroma. An easy draw first led me to think that it would be fast burning and maybe to loosely rolled but came to find a very consistant, even, slow burn. So, for about an hour I enjoyed a medium-bodied, perfectly balanced, creamy and complex cigar. Never bitter or biting on the tongue even at the finish. As a matter of fact it was so consistant that it tasted exactly the same at the finish as the start. I tipped the medium gray (I like salt & pepper) ash twice during my enjoyment. I believe this cigar is aged for 5 years which evidently achieves the perfect blend between the Dominican Piloto filler, Indonesian binder and Nicaraguan Havana 2000 wrapper.

On a scale of 1-10 I will rate this cigar at 9.2.
    Last edited by DeeDubya; 03-05-2008 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling... So, I'm Lexdisic

Default Gurhka Nepalese Warrior

I wanted to compare the Regent that I smoked last night to the Napalese Warrior, mostly because the wrappers look so similar.
    Maybe it's because that's what I was expecting or maybe it's so: If I were blindfolded I would not know the difference between the Regent and the Nepalese Warrior (taste of course, different shape). From start to finish, the same spicyness, burn rate, ash color, finish, everything. IMO the same cigar in a different shape.
    Oh well, maybe I blew this one but that's my opinion. Both are excellent cigars and I enjoyed them.
    Thanks again to KC for another good choice.
    Tomorrow, it will be the Gurkha Black Puro.
    I'm thinking 2 fingers of Macallan before, during, and after.

Default Wow!

Well, I am practically speechless. The postman has brought me a another gift, from guess who. In the box was really just a huge pile of really primo sticks for me to try. I guess I have quite a few reviews to write! Thanks, D.W. You're quite a Prince.

-------------------------------------------
    Nice reviews, D.W. I am in agreement. i find little difference between the Regent and the Nepalese Warrior... perhaps I will take a more in-depth look at each, try them again and see if I can qualify or describe the differences.
    Last edited by King Catfish; 03-06-2008 at 06:17 PM. Reason: typos
    Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
    -Winston Churchill

OK, Let's see, I followed through with the Black Puro this evening, along with 2 fingers of MaCallan. I finished the Black Puro but am on the second 2 fingers of MaCallan. I'll try to be cordial but at the same time bluntly honest.
    I am not impressed with the Gurkha Black Puro. I have had lesser cigars but cannot bring myself to brag about this one.
    Wrapper (dark and no veins but a little lumpy)
    Toasted (no special aroma).
    Draw (heavy to medium but I didn't re-cut)
    Burn (somewhat uneven but not at all unmanageable)
    First half (some spicyness but not impressive)
    Second half (flavors emerged progressively, none pronounced)
    Finish (better than I was anticipating but still not impressed)

On a scale of 1-10 I would give this cigar a 7

IMO the Gurkha Black Puro does not live up to it's name.

OK, Let's see, I followed through with the Black Puro this evening, along with 2 fingers of MaCallan. I finished the Black Puro but am on the second 2 fingers of MaCallan. I'll try to be cordial but at the same time bluntly honest.
    I am not impressed with the Gurkha Black Puro. I have had lesser cigars but cannot bring myself to brag about this one.
    Wrapper (dark and no veins but a little lumpy)
    Toasted (no special aroma).
    Draw (heavy to medium but I didn't re-cut)
    Burn (somewhat uneven but not at all unmanageable)
    First half (some spicyness but not impressive)
    Second half (flavors emerged progressively, none pronounced)
    Finish (better than I was anticipating but still not impressed)

On a scale of 1-10 I would give this cigar a 7

IMO the Gurkha Black Puro does not live up to it's name.
    Actually, I rather liked this one... although I agree it is only really good at the finish, and certainly is not as good-tasting as it is good-looking. Its impressive looks warrant a little more in the taste department, I have to concede.
    Last edited by King Catfish; 03-06-2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: typos
    Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
    -Winston Churchill

Default Gispert Robusto Maduro

This evening’s cigar was a Gispert Robusto Maduro, courtesy of DW (thank you!). Its shape is a sharply box-pressed robusto, on the short side, packed and weighty. The color was an even medium-dark brown with a slight sheen. The cigar was a bit hard to the touch, and I was anticipating a difficult draw, but the draw was acceptable at first and then improving, so my fears were not realized.

I enjoyed it this evening with the usual Tullamore Dew and a Schubert String Quartet. The initial aroma was that of unsweetened chocolate and forest loam. The band is red and silver and yellow; the lettering old-style script. I lucked into a perfect cut; the pleasant initial draws reminded me of the smell of an old cedar chest that has had some woolen sweaters in it for a long time. Smoke volume was moderate at first, and a very nice coffee aftertaste was to be had from the very beginning. Intensity of flavor and body were light at the very first, increasing to medium and diminishing slightly in the last third. Smoke volume increased throughout.

The ash was light gray and a bit on the soft side, but cohesive (not flaky). I was less than impressed with the ash length when it departed the end of the cigar bound for ashtrayville (the first one actually ended up in my lap). In the midst of a harmonious presentation there was a hint of saltiness, and no bitterness, except a little at the nub. Aftertaste was on the brief side, redolent of coffee; coffee becoming more dominant as it progressed.

After the first third had gotten comfortably underway, nutty flavors started to appear to go with the coffee. The cigar was steady through the middle third, with nutty flavor slowly challenging the coffee. In the last third it was a photo finish, with neither nuts nor coffee claiming undisputed victory.

Score: 16.4 (x5) = 82
    Last edited by King Catfish; 03-06-2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: typos
    -Winston Churchill

Thread Information