Thread: Trip to

Default Trip to

...Cuba the first week of June.

I am planning on making a trip with my girlfriend to Cuba around the first week of June before I start my new career.

Does anybody have suggestions on where the best places to go are. What I really want is to sit on a beach, drink rum and smoke cigars for 7 days. I would like a location to have a reasonable legit cigar shop, but nothing too crazy. I am going to save most of the factory tours for my next trip after that, unless I end up in a location that will allow me to easily do this

I have never been to Cuba or really a tropical resort for that matter before. I am most likely going to do an all-inclusive type deal, so that may limit me somewhat on where I can go. If anybody has some personal experience, or a "friend" who has gone, some advice would be much appreciated.

I know Roham and Newfie may have been there once or twice...
    Last edited by drew_goring; 03-03-2008 at 03:45 PM.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

You lucky bastard. I wish I could legally go to Cuba. I guess I'll just have to settle for Florida for now.

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Hey Drew, and luck with those links I sent you?
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
    Hey Drew, and luck with those links I sent you?
    PM'd ya man. Much appreciated!

Cayo Coco has wonderfull beaches. and most of the hotels have passable cigar stores. While you are out there try the Mangrove Snorkel Safari, great fun.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Just a question, how much roughly does a trip costs for a couple?
    Believe Dat!

Quote Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
    Flying out of Calgary or Saskatoon I am going to be looking at probably between 500 and 700 CAD all inclusive including tax per person for me and my girlfriend. Maybe less when June hits. These are last minute deals though...normally booked about 2 weeks before the trip is planned.

Quote Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
    I've been several times and haven't paid more than $1100.00, all inclusive, taxes in, for both of us (not each, total).

You have to understand though, it ain't Vegas or some place like that. Accommodations I would put to a Super 8 with 30 year old decor. But the rooms are clean, booze is free (and cheap off the resorts) and good cigars are plentiful.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

that doesn't sound too bad. Don't know if I'd be able to sway the wife, but its some food for thought
    Believe Dat!

I'm not down with the all-inclusive-anywhere-anytime But on one of your subsequent trips, if you want to head to Havana instead, I've got a few friends and people I can line you up with who will take good care of you! Or if you are heading there for a day trip I might be able to afford a bit of advice too. When I went for my first time, it was an all inclusive called the Brisa del Carib. Was probably a 3-4 star hotel. No problems there if that is one of your options.

Cuba's the best and if you've never been to a hot place, an all inclusive is the way too go. Great way to not get too much culture shock, hehe. The locals aren't allowed there at all so unfortunately you'll be getting to know employees and tourists only.

I'm super happy to hear you're finally going!!!

WOOT!!
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post
    I'm not down with the all-inclusive-anywhere-anytime But on one of your subsequent trips, if you want to head to Havana instead, I've got a few friends and people I can line you up with who will take good care of you! Or if you are heading there for a day trip I might be able to afford a bit of advice too. When I went for my first time, it was an all inclusive called the Brisa del Carib. Was probably a 3-4 star hotel. No problems there if that is one of your options.

Cuba's the best and if you've never been to a hot place, an all inclusive is the way too go. Great way to not get too much culture shock, hehe. The locals aren't allowed there at all so unfortunately you'll be getting to know employees and tourists only.

I'm super happy to hear you're finally going!!!

WOOT!!
    Thanks dude. It is looking like most likely Varadero with a day trip into Cuba if I can.

Hmmm. Been dating this new girl for a month now. We are already planning a trip to Cuba Together. Let me know your dates and, well, you never know.... ;-)
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post
    Thanks dude. It is looking like most likely Varadero with a day trip into Cuba if I can.
    Uhm, you mean Havana???:) U bought your tickets yet???

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post
    Uhm, you mean Havana???:) U bought your tickets yet???
    Definitely do.

I haven't bought yet. I am going to just do a last minute deal all inclusive to Varadero. I am hoping to be able to find something decent for around 900 or so a person.

We are planning on leaving sometime between May 30 and June 3.
    Last edited by drew_goring; 04-18-2008 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post
    Definitely do.

I haven't bought yet. I am going to just do a last minute deal all inclusive to Varadero. I am hoping to be able to find something decent for around 900 or so a person.

We are planning on leaving sometime between May 30 and June 3.
    Drew, if you're willing to lay out that coin for a last minute, you'll do better than "decent".

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
    Drew, if you're willing to lay out that coin for a last minute, you'll do better than "decent".

I am hoping so. Seems like flying out of Calgary or Saskatoon the prices are 2-300 higher than flying out of Toronto. Still a great deal in my eyes though.

On that note... I have a friend heading down to Cuba for a similar vacation and was hoping to get them to bring me back a few boxes of cigars... they wouldn't be able to tell a legit cigar vs. a monkey's tail so i want to make it as easy as possible for them...

I gave them a list of potential cigars I am looking for and some prices that I looked up as being reasonable.... my suggestion was to pick up the cigars on their way back at the airport (which i heard is the most reliable)...

Any suggestions? Want to make sure they are legit and want to make sure I am not paying an unnecessary premium on the smokes....

Thanks
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.”

Thread Information