Thread: Help me to "fix" an uneven burn?

Default Help me to "fix" an uneven burn?

Hey all, I noticed that a box of cheap cheap cheap belicosos are burning slightly quicker down one side for the first third and then they even out.

What is wrong with them? How do I fix them? Hell, can they even be fixed? They are my dog walkers but i don't want to have to stop in the middle of a windy field to sort them out.

Many thanks guys :)

anyone? This is one of those "urgent" type dealies.

Without any knowledge of how the cigars have been kept, I would say a good single flame torch lighter is the best cure for a bad burn.

hmmm, well I use a humidor but I gather this is not the best way. All in rows, I found running my lighter lightly down the slower burning side for a few seconds helps a little. It's as if one side is perhaps more humid (lol) than the other?

If your cigars are relatively fresh, they may still be a little wet. If they haven't been in your humidor for long they may need some drying out time. Take a couple and leave them out of the humidor for a day or two and then smoke them and see if there is any difference in burn. The burn problem could also be caused by a number of things including poor construction and tobacco quality or as you mentioned gusty winds could cause the burn to get off.

Thank you! I feel much happier now. I'll take a couple out and let em dry up a little. I mean when I got them they were very well humidified, they seemed to push the overall humidity of the humidor up about 3% lol.

The different parts of the cigar, like the stem in the leaf compared to the leaf, can burn at different rates, especially if they are not well rested. The best thing is to make sure the whole cigar is at the proper humidity. Taking a dry cigar, sticking it in a humidor, will cause the cigar to absorb water. If it has not been in there long enough the middle of the tobacco may be drier than the outside. Etc etc.

Also, I've found that "purging" also helps with burning issues. As you notice that one side is not burning as quickly as the rest of the cigar, you can purge it, ie blow smoke out of the cigar instead of inhaling. It will heat the cigar tobacco and can catch fire to the unlit part.

Thread Information