Thread: Cubans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Cubans

Just wondering whats so damn special about cubans? Ive never smoked one but what is it about them that people love so much? Is it the simple fact that we cant legally have them, thus creating a sort of"mystique" about them, or are they simply better cigars do to conditions in cuba? It seems that if I mention that I smoke cigars to someone they always reply with something about cubans. Just want to know whats so special about them.

They are what I look for in a flavor profile. I don't like a lot of spice and I've had very few Cubans that I would call spicy. I just like the toasty, earthy, nutty taste. I'm past the 'hype' and I get tired of the "You ever have a Cuban?" question, too. I've had Cubans I didn't like just like any other cigar.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Blog Entries

For many people, it's they hype that you are smoking something that is illegal.

For Cigar Smokers, they are some of the best tasting cigars. Cuban soul is the best place to grow tobacco for cigars. Hence why they make the best cigars.

When you smoke a well aged cuban, you know why they are special.

A lot of people will try a Cuban without really being into cigars. To them its just the mystique.

Remember that Cuban cigars are smoked regularly all over the world, and chefchris is correct in that they run the range from incredible to just plain nasty. I enjoy a good DR or Nic cigar just as much as some Cubans.

spiffy

There are just as good Dominican, Honduran, and Nicaraguan cigars out there. Cubans have different profiles in flavor, smell and taste to them that is intoxicating to any smoker. True, many try to obtain or smoke them because of the "illegallity" of it, but those are normally the same people that would pay $15-$20 for a Gurkha because supposedly it's the Rolls Royce of cigars.

People that smoke for the enjoyment of the smoke and not the status of it can really appreciate what a cuban cigar can offer.

Like Chris mentioned, it's more mellow in strength and yet flavorful. You can get the most flavor in such a mild-medium bodied smoke from a cuban, than you can get from a normal Dom, Hon, and Nic cigar. When you get to the full-bodied cubans, YOU GET tons of flavor with the feeling you just got kicked in the nuts.

Andrew
    Last edited by FunkyCold5; 03-10-2008 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spiffykyle View Post
    A lot of people will try a Cuban without really being into cigars. To them its just the mystique.

Remember that Cuban cigars are smoked regularly all over the world, and chefchris is correct in that they run the range from incredible to just plain nasty. I enjoy a good DR or Nic cigar just as much as some Cubans.

spiffy
    That's my experience as well. Amongst my favorite cigars of all times are a few Cubans. There are also a few Cuban amongst my most hated cigars of all times. The rest, eh, they're OK but I can do without them.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

same.
    I like NC's because they are so dam consistent. Every cigar tastes the same.
    I've had Cubans where cigars sitting next to each other in the box don't taste anything alike.

Quote Originally Posted by prostartjr1738 View Post
    Just wondering whats so damn special about cubans? Ive never smoked one but what is it about them that people love so much? Is it the simple fact that we cant legally have them, thus creating a sort of"mystique" about them, or are they simply better cigars do to conditions in cuba? It seems that if I mention that I smoke cigars to someone they always reply with something about cubans. Just want to know whats so special about them.
    I've had a handful of Cubans. Some I liked, some I didn't. Just like the handful of Dominican or Honduran Puros that I've had.

One thing that I'd really like to try would be a pre-embargo Cuban, especially after reading the history of cigars that was linked above. Are those legal in the US (I'm just currious, since I'm in Canada and Cuban isn't a four letter word here.)?

Does anyone know where I might acquire one?
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvin View Post
    I've had a handful of Cubans. Some I liked, some I didn't. Just like the handful of Dominican or Honduran Puros that I've had.

One thing that I'd really like to try would be a pre-embargo Cuban, especially after reading the history of cigars that was linked above. Are those legal in the US (I'm just currious, since I'm in Canada and Cuban isn't a four letter word here.)?

I am not sure on the specifics, but I am pretty sure Christie's auctions cigars (maybe once a year?).

Other than that, you may have to find a specialty shop. Maybe Dunhill in London or a vendor has them around. Be prepared to pay the price though.

Pre-embargo Cubans really don't have a market in Canada because after almost 50 years, they are usually dried out turds. There isn't any sort of mystique here.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Why...

Find something in the '98 range. I've had VERY few that were bad (I especially like the '98 Trinidad Fundadore's)...

11. Default

Call Corona Cigar Company in Orlando Florida. They have quite a few pre-embargo's but I recall that they range from near $200 to over $400 per stick. Here's a link to the website:
    http://www.coronacigar.com/index.asp

Good luck.

Thread Information